• 11.59 SEC
    Top Performer

Blue Star = Combine Top Performer

• 5'10" Height
  • 30 1/4" Arm Length
  • 206LBS. Weight
  • 9 3/8" Hands

Overview

Wilson is an electrifying runner who opted to come out early after an incredible junior year in which he was named ACC Player of the Year. He truly runs with his own style, and it's obvious that he has a love for the game. He is a high-risk, high-reward player who loves to reverse field on the entire defense. He is a decorated track star who is a threat to the defense every time he touches the ball.

Analysis

Strengths

Wilson is extremely explosive and quick-twitched off the snap. He can quickly accelerate to top speed, and he makes the most of his small frame by lowering his pad level into hits. He is so explosive and generates such movement with his leg drive that he is capable of running over linebackers, but he prefers to use his agility to make guys miss in space. Wilson is just as electric working as a receiver out of the backfield or in the slot as he is as a ball carrier, and he could be used in a variety of alignments.

Weaknesses

Wilson relied heavily on his athletic ability in college and runs with a very unconventional style that could get him in trouble at the next level. He will allow his pad level to get high when changing directions downfield, and he will get caught off guard with that style in the NFL. He isn't content with a 3-yard gain and will reverse field in an attempt to make a play out of nothing, another habit that won't end well in most cases. He needs to be more patient to let the plays and blocks come to him, rather than try to make everything happen on his own each time he gets the ball.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/profiles/david-wilson?id=2533035

Post what you got about this guy.

Obviously a soon to be replacement for Bradshaw.

Just read that Wilson sucks ass at blocking...awesome.

Blocking and ball carrying both need improvement....can't say I'm overly stoked about this pick. I might've gone more towards the OLine with Glenn, Martin, and Adams all on the board

Just read that Wilson sucks ass at blocking...awesome.

Blocking and ball carrying both need improvement....can't say I'm overly stoked about this pick. I might've gone more towards the OLine with Glenn, Martin, and Adams all on the board

Blocking and Ball Carrying need improvement, funny just like Bradshaw out of college.

Worked out well.

If it's one thing the Giants have shown to fix it's RBs.

Love this pick. Two playmakers in the backfield, now. And someone to finally catch passes out of the backfield, too. I have thought he was a better prospect than Doug Martin for quite some time, so IMO, we got the 2nd best RB in the draft with the 32 pick. IMO, you can't beat that, I don't care how many top 15 rated offensive lineman were still on the board, we got one of the top 3 RBs.

Love this pick. Two playmakers in the backfield, now. And someone to finally catch passes out of the backfield, too. I have thought he was a better prospect than Doug Martin for quite some time, so IMO, we got the 2nd best RB in the draft with the 32 pick. IMO, you can't beat that, I don't care how many top 15 rated offensive lineman were still on the board, we got one of the top 3 RBs.

I will appreciate the receptions out of the backfield...that much I am looking forward to. But I will approach this one cautiously because unless the fumbling and blocking are improved, he won't get the chance to catch out of the backfield.

I will appreciate the receptions out of the backfield...that much I am looking forward to. But I will approach this one cautiously because unless the fumbling and blocking are improved, he won't get the chance to catch out of the backfield.

Bradshaw, Wilson, Scott, I like that combo. Bradshaw hasn't fumbled like he used to, at least

I'm not happy... we easily could have traded down and picked him... or picked Glenn.

It's funny I think I've heard this every year the Giants have taken someone.

Webby, Ross, Nicks, JPP and now Wilson.

Prince was a great value pick for 19, assuming he pans out.

I dont know two Superbowl wins in five years, JR is obviously doing something right when it comes to drafting and depth.

Maybe O-line isnt as big of a concern as people may think.

I dont know two Superbowl wins in five years, JR is obviously doing something right when it comes to drafting and depth.

It's not. Everyone saw what happened when it got healthy. Now, we have Beatty back, signed good depth in Locklear, and still have prospects coming into their 3rd year. Along with all the starters from last year, minus a declining Mckenzie.

Running back was the position.

Pick up some offensive line talent in the 2nd or 3rd, just like we've been doing with guys like Snee and Diehl and all the lineman in pretty much the recent history of the Giants.

It's not. Everyone saw what happened when it got healthy. Now, we have Beatty back, signed good depth in Locklear, and still have prospects coming into their 3rd year. Along with all the starters from last year, minus a declining Mckenzie.

Running back was the position.

Pick up some offensive line talent in the 2nd or 3rd, just like we've been doing with guys like Snee and Diehl and all the lineman in pretty much the recent history of the Giants.

Yeah I mean Bass is going to be in his second year and let's hope the head injury doesn't hold him back.

We still have Brewer and Petrus in the wings and like you said Beatty back.

I don't think it is. I think the Giants fully intend on Brewer being the starter at RT, succeeding Diehl... and I think they have 3 good inside guys in Boothe, Baas, and Petrus. And Beatty is there at LT. Then they just signed Locklear. So really it wouldn't hurt to get a OT, but they can address depth in free agency, no problem. Perhaps they can get a guy in this draft, I think there is some good prospects that will be available. I would not be surprised to see a trade up in the second if Fleener falls much farther, or maybe Jonathan Martin. Mike Adams could be around at the end of the 2nd.

I don't think it is. I think the Giants fully intend on Brewer being the starter at RT, succeeding Diehl... and I think they have 3 good inside guys in Boothe, Baas, and Petrus. And Beatty is there at LT. Then they just signed Locklear. So really it wouldn't hurt to get a OT, but they can address depth in free agency, no problem. Perhaps they can get a guy in this draft, I think there is some good prospects that will be available. I would not be surprised to see a trade up in the second if Fleener falls much farther, or maybe Jonathan Martin. Mike Adams could be around at the end of the 2nd.

Not to mention who said we need a first round OT?

Fuck I think second/third round guys are just as good.

Remember the line back in '07? Wasnt Snee the only one who was taken higher then the third round or something.

Yeah I mean Bass is going to be in his second year and let's hope the head injury doesn't hold him back.

We still have Brewer and Petrus in the wings and like you said Beatty back.

and more than likely, Stacey Andrews is back, too...good depth

Not to mention who said we need a first round OT?

Fuck I think second/third round guys are just as good.

Remember the line back in '07? Wasnt Snee the only one who was taken higher then the third round or something.

yes sir, granted, he was 2 picks into the 2nd, I believe. I just don't see much value with an offensive lineman picked at 32, when it isn't your top position of need. Actually, I would like to see us go tight end, in the second, though. Still top prospects out there.

OL isn't your top position of need OR the best pick available*.

And I would also love to see us move up to take Fleener, too, Jim. Where do you think we'd have to trade up to? Where does he land now if not the Giants?

isn't your top position of need OR the best pick available.

And I would also love to see us move up to take Fleener, too, Jim. Where do you think we'd have to trade up to? Where does he land now if not the Giants?

I have a feeling the Colts will take him at the start of round two.

Give Luck a new TE to throw too.

I have a feeling the Colts will take him at the start of round two.

Give Luck a new TE to throw too.

That'd be terrible, lol. But you're right, that sounds like a solid move for them. They have need all over though, so let's see if they think OL or WR is a bigger need for them...

None of those picks were reaches at the time. In fact quite the opposite for a few - JPP, Webster, and Prince were all rated higher than the # we drafted them at - in fact, many had JPP and Prince in their top 10. Those two could be considered steals. Nicks and Ross were rated at about the # we drafted - late 1st. David Wilson on the other hand was projected 2nd round, and isn't even close to the best player available - he had at least 15 guys generally ahead of him according to CNNSI, ESPN, NFL.com.

We could have traded down and still picked him, or picked a better value. If he pans out, and becomes a great rusher, I'll be happy to be wrong in this assessment.

Four guys on our starting OL are over the age of 30. Heck, I would have been happy with a C Konz pick as well. Beatty is injury prone, and hasn't shown us anything. I like Petrus too... who else do you have after that? Boothe is a career backup/spot starter, and Brewer is very raw.

Plus, there was plenty of middle round RB talent available in this draft, Chris Polk, Turbin, Gray etc.

Back to Wilson... in terms of where he fits on the giants with their OL: he can bounce if outside if the middle is clogged, and he's going to need to do this frequently on the giants with the current offensive line we have - unless we get some OL on day 2 and day 3 of the draft.

None of those picks were reaches at the time. In fact quite the opposite for a few - JPP, Webster, and Prince were all rated higher than the # we drafted them at - in fact, many had JPP and Prince in their top 10. Nicks and Ross were rated at about the # we drafted - late 1st. David Wilson on the other hand was projected 2nd round, and isn't even close to the best player available - he had at least 15 guys generally ahead of him according to CNNSI, ESPN, NFL.com.

We could have traded down and still picked him, or picked a better value. If he pans out, and becomes a great rusher, I'll be happy to be wrong in this assessment.

Meh, 1. I don't put much stock in what the "draft experts" say. 2. I've seen him everywhere from the end of the 1st to mid 2nd, mostly in the early 1/3 of the 2nd. 3. 32 isn't much of a reach, especially when you have a GM publicly saying he doesn't see 32 players worthy of 1st round picks. 4. It is a position of need.

None of those picks were reaches at the time. In fact quite the opposite for a few - JPP, Webster, and Prince were all rated higher than the # we drafted them at - in fact, many had JPP and Prince in their top 10. Nicks and Ross were rated at about the # we drafted - late 1st. David Wilson on the other hand was projected 2nd round, and isn't even close to the best player available - he had at least 15 guys generally ahead of him according to CNNSI, ESPN, NFL.com.

Four guys on our starting OL are over the age of 30. Heck, I would have been happy with a C Konz pick as well. Beatty is injury prone, and hasn't shown us anything. I like Petrus too... who else do you have after that? Boothe is a career backup/spot starter, and Brewer is very raw.

Plus, there was plenty of middle round RB talent available in this draft, Chris Polk, Turbin, Gray etc.

The funny thing is he was the best player available, for the Giants.

If tackle was obviously the best position on the board at the time the Giants would of picked at tackle.

It's common knowledge that Reese picks the best player available and he did for the Giants. I'll say it again I'll take the "assessment" of a pro NFL GM and scouting team over any fans.

The funny thing is he was the best player available, for the Giants.

If tackle was obviously the best position on the board at the time the Giants would of picked at tackle.

It's common knowledge that Reese picks the best player available and he did for the Giants. I'll say it again I'll take the "assessment" of a pro NFL GM and scouting team over any fans.

Like I said, every site has about 15 players available graded better than Wilson. Say what you will about whether you like the pick or not, but he was not the best player available. Nobody had him graded the best player available where he was drafted, with the other options available.

Plus, I've seen some of these so-called "experts" applaud the Saints picking Reggie Bush at like #2 or whatever, and are stating that Wilson, at #32 is a reach...so I take it with a grain of salt. He looks impressive in the tape I've seen....