SportsWrath

OL Shuffle Beginning

Gman329

Does this mean Diehl goes to RT? I think that depends on whether they still see Beatty as the answer at LT. My guess is, the answer to both questions is "yes" and Booth and Petrus battle for the LG spot in camp.

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/pro_sports/football/Source_Giants_dont_have_plans_to_keep_Kareem_McKenzie.html

Source: Giants don't have plans to keep Kareem McKenzie

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 Last updated: Thursday March 8, 2012, 12:25 AM

BY TARA SULLIVAN AND JEFF ROBERTS

STAFF WRITERS

The Record

Print | E-mail

The reshaping of the Giants’ roster has begun.

The team recently told right tackle Kareem McKenzie — who has manned the position for the Giants since 2005, starting 105 games in that span — to “go shopping” for another team, according to a source in the organization. It will not bring him back for another season.

The discussion was not a surprise as McKenzie is an unrestricted free agent and will turn 33 in May. However he started all 16 regular season games in each of the past two years.

The third-round pick in the 2001 draft began his career with the Jets.

The emergence of guard Mitch Petrus and last year’s fourth-round pick, tackle James Brewer, makes McKenzie expendable.

He will become the latest change in the Giants’ revamping of their offensive line. They released veterans Rich Seubert and Shaun O’Hara before last season.

The impending loss of McKenzie leaves David Diehl and Chris Snee as the only members of the offensive line from the 2007 Super Bowl team.

Gotta believe Carl Nicks is going to get paid big time this offseason by somebody. Given what we have to deal with in upcoming years with Nicks, Cruz, JPP, Tuck, Osi....I have to believe that Carl Nicks isn't even on our radar.

Gotta believe Carl Nicks is going to get paid big time this offseason by somebody. Given what we have to deal with in upcoming years with Nicks, Cruz, JPP, Tuck, Osi....I have to believe that Carl Nicks isn't even on our radar.

If one of the top guards in the league is available and you are looking to revamp your OL you have to look at that option and what it may take to get him. I am not syaing pull the trigger at all cost but look into the matter to see if it could get done.

If one of the top guards in the league is available and you are looking to revamp your OL you have to look at that option and what it may take to get him. I am not syaing pull the trigger at all cost but look into the matter to see if it could get done.

Eh, with Snee, Petrus, Boothe, Diehl, and I'm sure Baas all able to play Guard if called upon, I think we're good. Baas/Boothe at Center. Diehl, Beatty at Tackle is significantly more sketchy. So if there's revamping/improvement/strengthening to be done, I'd have to believe it'd be on the outside of the line as opposed to the inside.

That's just not the way the Giants (Reese) operate, especially with limited cap space. The Giants are a quintessential "next man up" team. They don't invest draft choices and years of coaching in a kid not to give him his chance when the time comes. Witness Kevin Booth. Reese called re-signing him before last season a priority and sure enough, when needed, he did a great job. They see Petrus as being on the same track - for good reason, based on what we saw when he was pressed into service earlier than they really wanted to use him. Haven't seen as much of the Tackle, Brewer yet but I'm sure they see him the same way. The Giants always believe the answers are in their own room.

we can't afford someone who will be one of the highest paid guards in the league.

I see it right now (pre-draft and free agency with what our current roster looks like) as beatty at left tackle, boothe/petrus (probably boothe) at LG, Baas, Snee, with Deihl at RT hopefully with brewer actually showing somewhat of a fight for that spot.

Plus we have the draft.

I agree Pdub, 100%. I don't even see the sense in going after Nicks, when Boothe and Snee are a formidable Guard tandem. I was VERY impressed with Boothe at Guard... I think at times he was dominant. He handled Wilfork on his own sometimes and really stonewalled him. Boothe is going to start to be recognized for how he has grown and I think he's going to be a stalwart at LG for us, I really do. I just don't want to see him at Center again, lol.

I think Carl Nicks is strictly a Guard anyway, and I do think that if there is a strong RT candidate in the draft, we could go that way in the first 3 rounds.

I highly doubt KMac will return. He's going to look for a starting position somewhere and it won't be with the Giants. I think the Giants don't want a 33 y/o backup anyway. His best chance to stay in the league is to start somewhere. It's the time now to groom Brewer or the next draft pick.

I heard someone say on an NFL podcast the RT is pretty much the only position guys with those skill sets play. You can see a Left Tackle move to Guard, a Guard move to Center, etc. but once a Right Tackle is done he's pretty much done.

I heard someone say on an NFL podcast the RT is pretty much the only position guys with those skill sets play. You can see a Left Tackle move to Guard, a Guard move to Center, etc. but once a Right Tackle is done he's pretty much done.

I wouldn't call McKenzie done, but he's definitely done at what he was getting paid. He could hold the fort for someone (not us) for a year or two at a much lower cap hit than what he had last year, but that's about it in my opinion.