SportsWrath

Martellus Bennet, is he our future TE?

osi724dasack

Now they are saying Greens time has been corrected to 4.8.

Really Ladarius Greens time was changed to a 4.8? Wow I thought he ran a 4.47.

And yea that's what I hear about Allen. But with that 40 and him being slightly slightly undersized hes definately falling.

Is it just me or is this TE class pretty weak?

saw an interesting snippet on Joel Dreesen this morning. If the price is right, this guy could represent nice "insurance" at TE.

Dreessen (HOU, 6″4, 243) is also a FA. He is an fine TE that would fit as well (reminds me of Boss), some hands and a solid blocker. He took over 800 snaps last season, 2/3rd as a blocker, and still produced “good enough for a NYG TE” numbers : 28 rec for 353y and 6TD.

He’s 30 though.

Yeah, I speculated earlier about him becoming a Giant... he would be the kind of signing they will make eventually. I could definitely see Dreessen fit right in. Don't think 30 is too old for a TE, either, especially one that will be viewed as a short term solution.

I'm starting to warm up to him as well. At 6'6", he's a bigger target than Allen, and while I don't think Fleener is the next Rob Gronkowski, he could be the next Jason Witten. I don't see a lot of video on him, don't know why, but this year it's a lot tougher to find quality video to do your own analysis of these propects' play. I do like his hands, though. He had a beautiful one-hander in the end zone I saw that was real impressive, and he seems to try and always catch the ball with his hands, away from his body.

LaDarius Green on the other hand... A BIG NO THANKS. I watched two games of his snaps and it was enough to convince me this guy is a long, long way from being a productive player in the NFL. The one thing you do see is he's fast... when he gets the ball and has some open space. But he does not play like a big man in close quarters... even against smaller defenders. Two or three times I saw him mis-time jumps on a ball thrown up for grabs, leading to interceptions or incompletes (again, against much smaller guys). Two times in a row they went to a fade route in the bowl game with him, and two times in a row he let a small corner body him up... he plays like a small man, not using his size to his advantage. He just seems afraid to be physical. In blocking situations, he doesn't deliver any punch... just tries to push with his hands, doesn't get his legs involved. He runs lazy routes. Doesn't seem to know what a "cut" is. And there were quite a few drops in there, too... I question whether he really has the hands to play in the NFL. His QB sucked, I'll give him that. But that guy might not ever be a starting TE in the NFL. I did not see a very exciting player.

I'd like to see about Tony Gonzalez.....a smart, classy player, would probably fit in really well with Eli....and he likely wouldn't cost too much.

He's signed to the Falcons for 2012.

gonzalez will disappear for an entire game too. TE is evolving too much to sign an older guy and im sure there are plenty of cheaper options out there somewhere. ballard was super slow and managed to have good games for us. with our offense as long as you got a decent head on your shoulders and some size you should be able to find the soft spots in the zones

gonzalez will disappear for an entire game too. TE is evolving too much to sign an older guy and im sure there are plenty of cheaper options out there somewhere. ballard was super slow and managed to have good games for us. with our offense as long as you got a decent head on your shoulders and some size you should be able to find the soft spots in the zones

That can be said about any player in any position. With 2 TEs who won't be available for us till midseason.. two TEs who didn't exactly set the league on fire.. it's imperative we draft a good TE and sign a veteran, IF Gonzalez can be brought here for the right price, I can't think of a better option.

That can be said about any player in any position. With 2 TEs who won't be available for us till midseason.. two TEs who didn't exactly set the league on fire.. it's imperative we draft a good TE and sign a veteran, IF Gonzalez can be brought here for the right price, I can't think of a better option.

He can't. He's signed to the Falcons for 1 more year and I believe he said this would be his final season. We have as much of a chance of getting Tony Gonzalez as we do of getting Mario Williams.

• 2 weeks later...

Good call Osi. I didnt really pay much attention to Bennett, but after reading up on him, I think he would fit the Giants far better than he fit with the cowcraps. I want this guy.

And I read on either ESPN or NFL.com, that we may sign 2 FA TEs. Anyone else see or hear this?

I just read that he's close to signing for 4 years and $19 million with $7 mill guaranteed.

If true that's a good deal for both sides.

I think coach pope gets all the talent out of him.

Dude, if we get Bennet as our starter, and then Ballard comes back, we'll have a nice little TE tandem with Pascoe as the the 3rd.