SportsWrath

Eli and Tom, XLII and XLVI

Allstarjim

Amazing how great this game is. Four years ago, a QB that everyone questioned up to that point, is he the real deal? Is this goofy looking, shoulder shrugging, younger brother/wannabe of Peyton a franchise QB? Is he good enough to win in the NFL? Isn't this team's defense just carrying them? Eli had spent the first 4 years of his career being questioned by everyone, the NFL talking heads, the media (in the harshest sports media market in the world), and a rabid fan base who just didn't get this plucky kid from Mississippi.

Then as if possessed, Eli goes on a run, buoyed by the Strahan-led defense and a stout running game, Eli and the Giants outplayed the Buccaneers easily, defeated the Cowboys on the road, and went into Lambeau, in weather where his coach's FACE told us just how frigid it was, and outplayed the NFL's all-time leading passer to take the Giants to the Super Bowl.

But that was where the cinderella story was supposed to end. No way could he have enough magic to defeat an 18-0 team, with the most dynamic offense in the history of the NFL, led by Tom Terrific... no way, no chance.

Yet he did.

And still, some doubters remained. A fluke they said. Trent Dilfer won one. So did Brad Johnson. If Asante had caught that pick, they said. A fluke catch is the only reason, they said. But Eli had his ring, and a Super Bowl MVP, and the following seasons saw him make steady improvement. A career high QB rating in 2008 was followed with another career high in 2009, and his first 4,000 yard passing season, a rare feat for a quarterback that calls the Meadowlands home. But in 2010, an interception-laden season had the skeptics speaking out again, and Michael Kay gave them the story they wanted... "Are you in Tom Brady's class, a top-5 NFL QB?" Eli answered in the affirmative, and they loved it. They gathered their stones and pitchforks and mocked him.

NO MORE.

Here he is, once again in the Super Bowl, lauded now, as one of the NFL's best, after a historic year with over 4,900 passing yards and 29 TD's, in a year in which his leading receiver had left for a division rival, and his trusty tight end had found a new home in the land of Silver and Black. Yet Eli rallied this team and led them to a division title, albeit a 9-7 record... with a solid Atlanta team in the way. Then a 15-1 Green Bay team back in Lambeau. And then, the NFL's best defense in San Francisco. And once again, he left them all wanting. In San Francisco, he took a historic 20 hits, a beating that had his teammates shaking their heads... and still delivered a 4th quarter dagger to Mario Manningham, a 17-yard dime that came on 3rd and 15! A throw and catch that should, if given it's due, will live in Giants lore forever. In a big moment, after being battered and bruised all game, Eli stood tall in the pocket, cool as a cucumber, and delivered the throw of the game. This isn't Michael Strahan's Giants now. These are Eli's Giants. And he has been the single most important factor in New York's success this year, even Jerry Jones has said so. I'll say that again... Jerry Jones said so! Now the question is for all of the doubters and skeptics... Wasn't Eli right all along?

Fittingly, he faces Tom Brady once again. This time, Manning isn't talked about as if he's a glorified game manager. And unlike XLII, while the Giants aren't favorites, they aren't dismissed before the game starts as also-rans, either. In fact, nobody would be surprised THIS TIME if Eli outplays Tom, again... It's a team that Eli has already beaten this year, and if he wins again... beats Tom Brady in the big game TWICE... would a fair question be... Is Tom Brady in Eli Manning's class?

Good post....listening on ESPN Radio now....now there are a lot of assholes equating the Giants win against the 69'ers with the tainted win of the Patsies....that the 69'ers should be there other than two punts. I hate when commentators boil a game down like this....why did two punts result in a 69'er loss....? Why, because the Giants caused those plays to happen. You think if no TD was scored or the need for a guy to think he had to take it to the house that those plays do not happen. The reason why those plays happened is that the Giants defense and ST's were doing a bang up job. Man up like the 69'ers did...they were beaten by the better team; a team familiar with these tight late quarter/OT games and did not lock up. The 69'ers have had much less experience with this. As I posted all week...Smith used up his magic against Brees...he had the game of his life. No way in the world could he replicate it two games in a row; especially against a better defense. Whenever the Giants win its because of something the other team failed to do....PLEASE!!! :F-U:

Also after the OT fumble the Giants were barely in field goal range. The O then marched the ball down to the 10 yard line. Sure the fumble was a game changer but the team still needed to capitalize on it.

Exactly, plus I think they would have scored a touchdown if that was what was needed to win if it was the first possession of OT. Some of these commentators act as if the game was over once the fumble happened....if that is the case...go ask Cundiff... :F-U:

If not for two busted pass coverages.......the fuckers would have only put put three fucking points.

Seriously, they had two long plays...thats it. Other then that ...the Giants D pretty much stoned them.

C. Wagon

Ayup...the first was a total brain lock and blow by Rolle...the second was a good throw to a good player running an excellent playcall/route.

The 49ers had the ball 6 times in the 4th Quarter and OT in which they could've won the game. They scored three points. Eli delivered in the 4th quarter again, and Smith could not. Eli was the one going up against the top defense in the NFL this year. 49ers possessions in the 4th and OT:

3 and out

FG

3 and out

3 and out

3 and end of regulation

3 and out.

Our defense had a lot to do with that, and that had nothing to do with the muffed punt or the fumble.

This game is set to be a coronation... either for Tom as at least Montana's equal in the "best QB of all-time" conversation, or Eli's coronation as one of the NFL's best in the game today. If the Giants win this game, only Eli, Tom, and Big Ben will have multiple rings in the NFL. It will be the final blow to the Elite naysayers.

Amazing how great this game is. Four years ago, a QB that everyone questioned up to that point, is he the real deal? Is this goofy looking, shoulder shrugging, younger brother/wannabe of Peyton a franchise QB? Is he good enough to win in the NFL? Isn't this team's defense just carrying them? Eli had spent the first 4 years of his career being questioned by everyone, the NFL talking heads, the media (in the harshest sports media market in the world), and a rabid fan base who just didn't get this plucky kid from Mississippi.

Then as if possessed, Eli goes on a run, buoyed by the Strahan-led defense and a stout running game, Eli and the Giants outplayed the Buccaneers easily, defeated the Cowboys on the road, and went into Lambeau, in weather where his coach's FACE told us just how frigid it was, and outplayed the NFL's all-time leading passer to take the Giants to the Super Bowl.

But that was where the cinderella story was supposed to end. No way could he have enough magic to defeat an 18-0 team, with the most dynamic offense in the history of the NFL, led by Tom Terrific... no way, no chance.

Yet he did.

And still, some doubters remained. A fluke they said. Trent Dilfer won one. So did Brad Johnson. If Asante had caught that pick, they said. A fluke catch is the only reason, they said. But Eli had his ring, and a Super Bowl MVP, and the following seasons saw him make steady improvement. A career high QB rating in 2008 was followed with another career high in 2009, and his first 4,000 yard passing season, a rare feat for a quarterback that calls the Meadowlands home. But in 2010, an interception-laden season had the skeptics speaking out again, and Michael Kay gave them the story they wanted... "Are you in Tom Brady's class, a top-5 NFL QB?" Eli answered in the affirmative, and they loved it. They gathered their stones and pitchforks and mocked him.

NO MORE.

Here he is, once again in the Super Bowl, lauded now, as one of the NFL's best, after a historic year with over 4,900 passing yards and 29 TD's, in a year in which his leading receiver had left for a division rival, and his trusty tight end had found a new home in the land of Silver and Black. Yet Eli rallied this team and led them to a division title, albeit a 9-7 record... with a solid Atlanta team in the way. Then a 15-1 Green Bay team back in Lambeau. And then, the NFL's best defense in San Francisco. And once again, he left them all wanting. In San Francisco, he took a historic 20 hits, a beating that had his teammates shaking their heads... and still delivered a 4th quarter dagger to Mario Manningham, a 17-yard dime that came on 3rd and 15! A throw and catch that should, if given it's due, will live in Giants lore forever. In a big moment, after being battered and bruised all game, Eli stood tall in the pocket, cool as a cucumber, and delivered the throw of the game. This isn't Michael Strahan's Giants now. These are Eli's Giants. And he has been the single most important factor in New York's success this year, even Jerry Jones has said so. I'll say that again... Jerry Jones said so! Now the question is for all of the doubters and skeptics... Wasn't Eli right all along?

Fittingly, he faces Tom Brady once again. This time, Manning isn't talked about as if he's a glorified game manager. And unlike XLII, while the Giants aren't favorites, they aren't dismissed before the game starts as also-rans, either. In fact, nobody would be surprised THIS TIME if Eli outplays Tom, again... It's a team that Eli has already beaten this year, and if he wins again... beats Tom Brady in the big game TWICE... would a fair question be... Is Tom Brady in Eli Manning's class?

:WS:

If not for two busted pass coverages.......the fuckers would have only put put three fucking points.

Seriously, they had two long plays...thats it. Other then that ...the Giants D pretty much stoned them.

C. Wagon

That's what's remarkable.. I never knew and never cared who the fuck vernon Davis is... that receding hairline showboating ugly son of a bitch can go to hell... ANYONE could make those catchs... yes we took advantage of two turnovers.. that our team recovered... one we even caused.

That's what's remarkable.. I never knew and never cared who the fuck vernon Davis is... that receding hairline showboating ugly son of a bitch can go to hell... ANYONE could make those catchs... yes we took advantage of two turnovers.. that our team recovered... one we even caused.

We caused both Nas....I would say. The reason why teams punt is for field position and the possibility of a turnover (not saying you don't know this which you do :TU: ) ....what can we do...haters are going to hate. big%20F-U.gif

Thanks, Nas. I will say this, though... Vernon Davis is probably the fastest big man in the NFL. I wouldn't dismiss his talent, guys that big just aren't that fast, and that's what makes him special. He has the speed of a Larry Fitzgerald but is 250 lbs... pretty remarkable physical specimen.

Thanks, Nas. I will say this, though... Vernon Davis is probably the fastest big man in the NFL. I wouldn't dismiss his talent, guys that big just aren't that fast, and that's what makes him special. He has the speed of a Larry Fitzgerald but is 250 lbs... pretty remarkable physical specimen.

Still an ugly showbaoting fuck. Reminds of Emmit Smith.

If the Giants win this game, only Eli, Tom, and Big Ben will have multiple rings in the NFL. It will be the final blow to the Elite naysayers.

There is no doubt that the 'Elite naysayers' have already lost their argument ......whether we win or lose this Superbowl.

Eli won countless games this regular season with the 32nd ranked defense behind him .......the discussion is over IMO

Hotdog was wrong ....JM4P was right ...Eli is an Elite QB

End.

There is no doubt that the 'Elite naysayers' have already lost their argument ......whether we win or lose this Superbowl.

Eli won countless games this regular season with the 32nd ranked defense behind him .......the discussion is over IMO

End.

And a crappy online. When is "the dog" right? These asswipes have vanished but you can rest assured that if the Giants lose next weekend they will be here in full force, waving ranbow flags and proclaiming clairvoyance.

These tinkerbells put the "P" in pussy.

End.

I absolutely, 100% agree... but another ring will REALLY put the cherry on top.

If Eli manages to win this super bowl, we will simply hear about how the defense saved his ass again just like the last one. People either believe that Eli is a great QB or they don't. Stats can be interpreted and twisted so there will always be people who will never believe Eli Manning belongs in the top 5 QB's in the NFL. I'd at least like to think that another super bowl victory would silence the Giants fans who don't believe Eli belongs in the top 5.

Yes, I agree. I was kind of won over when he came off the field with tears in his eyes after having the performance of his life against the Saints, but the camera platform thing was far too much "look at me". Karma's a bitch.

I knew at that point they were ultimately going to lose.... big%20F-U.gif

If Eli manages to win this super bowl, we will simply hear about how the defense saved his ass again just like the last one. People either believe that Eli is a great QB or they don't. Stats can be interpreted and twisted so there will always be people who will never believe Eli Manning belongs in the top 5 QB's in the NFL. I'd at least like to think that another super bowl victory would silence the Giants fans who don't believe Eli belongs in the top 5.

Manning has I would say baring injury anther five good years in the league. It's at that point we should start talking about HOF status IMO. And as far as this year goes IMO he's a top 2 QB, considering the fact that there are only two QB's playing now.

For christ sakes Manning got has ass handed to him last weekend. The ref's completely looked the other way some of those hits. I didn't see manning mention it once.

Look at dog killer Vick and head muckity muck for the Eagles, she cried like a fag bitch in the press this year about not getting roughing calls.

If the Giants lose this weekend (and I know I'll take some shit for this) the Giants had a huge season. The oline IMO sucks balls, the defesne had some historically shitty games and they are still in the superbowl.

As a fan what more can I ask for? Lower ticket prices? For one out of five times give me a shot to buy SB tickets? This team broke my heart on several occasions this year and here we are...

It's fucking insane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

C. Wagon

Thats the point Ive been trying to make Chuck. The Giants D always has blown coverages. We've had it in all games. Brady will NOT miss those. If not for 2 busted coverages doesnt make sense. Fact is we did have it and they did score points of it. Thats like saying - if not for 2 fumbles we wouldnt have scored either. They didnt have busted coverages....they had fumbles. We didnt have fumbles we had busted coverages. We cant afford that in the SB. But then again the Pats D is nothing near SFOs....but Bellichick will always come up with some crazy thing or the other that we have to be prepared for.

True...but I think we need to guard against ascribing too much to Belicheat's mythic powers. His defense is on par with or slightly below that of the Pack's. Eli will score on these guys. That coupled with Brady being less nimble and/or scramble worthy than any of the past five QB's they have faced means that we are looking at minimum a 5 sack game. Even with three step drops, running game, play action, etc. The Patsy offense is predicated on timing plays...even the quick slants to the TEs, When the two TEs are lined up tight they will be chucked and roughed up at the line; the trouble will be when they are spread out, requiring the safeties to cover them over more of the field. In tight Boley and Williams will be molesting the TEs the first 5-10 yards. I was more worried about Atlanta to tell you the truth. Not taking the Patsies lightly but I think the Giants are the all around better team...neutralize Brady and there is no chance the Patsies can win. Whereas the Giants can win with their defense and now the nascent ST's.

Thats the point Ive been trying to make Chuck. The Giants D always has blown coverages. We've had it in all games. Brady will NOT miss those. If not for 2 busted coverages doesnt make sense. Fact is we did have it and they did score points of it. Thats like saying - if not for 2 fumbles we wouldnt have scored either. They didnt have busted coverages....they had fumbles. We didnt have fumbles we had busted coverages. We cant afford that in the SB. But then again the Pats D is nothing near SFOs....but Bellichick will always come up with some crazy thing or the other that we have to be prepared for.

No one has been more critical of Fewel on this board more than me... I was the first to call for his firning (given the replacement is a proven stud).. however the D has stepped up since that Washington Debacle big time... and we should give credit where credit is due. The D hasn't been perfect but it's far from the clusterfuck we saw at 7-7 of the season... Just like any job it's about growing and perfecting the trade. And let's not forget we're missing a stud LB and T2.. Ross isn't wortha 6th rounder imho. Spags is gone... and Fewel has learned a lot from his prior brainfarts. Go Giants.

True...but I think we need to guard against ascribing too much to Belicheat's mythic powers. His defense is on par with or slightly below that of the Pack's. Eli will score on these guys. That coupled with Brady being less nimble and/or scramble worthy than any of the past five QB's they have faced means that we are looking at minimum a 5 sack game. Even with three step drops, running game, play action, etc. The Patsy offense is predicated on timing plays...even the quick slants to the TEs, When the two TEs are lined up tight they will be chucked and roughed up at the line; the trouble will be when they are spread out, requiring the safeties to cover them over more of the field. In tight Boley and Williams will be molesting the TEs the first 5-10 yards. I was more worried about Atlanta to tell you the truth. Not taking the Patsies lightly but I think the Giants are the all around better team...neutralize Brady and there is no chance the Patsies can win. Whereas the Giants can win with their defense and now the nascent ST's.

Against the 49ers, I felt that the Giants would either win or lose that game; by that, I meant it could be similar to Saints v. 49ers. I felt the Saints gave that game away with 5 (?) turnovers. I thought the Giants could lose that game if they made mistakes, but if they played a smart game, and won the turnover battle, the 49ers didn't have the guns to beat them outright.

Not to take away from the 49ers...they are a good team, with a damn good defense. But Alex Smith isn't Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, or Tom Brady. I didn't think he had the firepower to beat the Giants. I really thought the game was in the Giants hands to win or lose.

Offensively, the Patriots are going to be very tough to handle. But unlike the last Super Bowl, I don't think it's going to depend on the Giants defense. Instead, I think it's going to be up to Nicks, Manningham, and Cruz to score in bunches.

I actually like the Giants chances in a shootout, because I think the Giants have a stronger defense than the Patriots, and can somewhat slow down the Patriots offense.

But unlike the 49ers, the Patriots can win this game without getting help from the Gians. It won't be enough for the Giants to play mistake-free.....they'll need some big plays on offense, too.