SportsWrath

Holy horseshit! New England Scoreboard

Iceman_NYG

Just found out that the scoreboard at Foxboro displayed the game score incorrectly. Instead of 2nd and 1 they showed it as first down and poor Cundiff kept assuming the Ravens were going to run one more play and hence was rushed on to the field when he wasnt even ready.....poor chap

Just found out that the scoreboard at Foxboro displayed the game score incorrectly. Instead of 2nd and 1 they showed it as first down and poor Cundiff kept assuming the Ravens were going to run one more play and hence was rushed on to the field when he wasnt even ready.....poor chap

REALLY?!?!?!? that explans why on ESPN today someone said Cundiff wasn't even on the field and was hurried.... wow. bilacheat at it again!!!!... Ravens had a time out tho, they should of called it... or did they?? ummmmmm

cheating bastards!!!

got links to back it up??

it shouldn't have even got that far. The Evans play, based on the current NFL rules, was a touchdown. Should have been game over, Ravens win.

Yet you won't hear ESPN talk about that.

it shouldn't have even got that far. The Evans play, based on the current NFL rules, was a touchdown. Should have been game over, Ravens win.

Actually, they're just about to have a segment on NFL Network where the "league explains why it wasn't a touchdown."

80671512.jpg

REALLY?!?!?!? that explans why on ESPN today someone said Cundiff wasn't even on the field and was hurried.... wow. bilacheat at it again!!!!... Ravens had a time out tho, they should of called it... or did they?? ummmmmm

cheating bastards!!!

got links to back it up??

They did and he should have called it. This is called game sense and apparently Cundiff and Williams do not have it. Then again Coughlin didn’t notice the game clock. :ermm:

I don't think the Lee Evans play was a TD. It is definitely not an open shut case. I think at best he starts losing possession at the same time the tippety toe of his second foot comes down. At best I think the loss of possesion happens simultaneously.

Here's my breakdown from Game Rewind:

Picture 1: Evans after securing the ball and getting his right, and first foot, down:

1327425318205.jpg

Picture 2: Evans still has clear possession of the ball, though there's no sign that any part of his left foot has come down yet:

132742576739.jpg

Picture 3: This is probably the most controversial picture...the dislodging of the ball has clearly begun, and it is unclear if and how much of his left foot is touching the ground..It's clear that his foot isn't down but it's possible that at this point his toes are grazing the ground...

1327425981144.jpg

Picture 4: This is the first time it is clear that any part of his left foot is down, and by now the ball is completely out...even now it is only his toes that have come down at this point:

1327426119908.jpg

Picture 5: The left is down all the way, and the ball is way out

1327426255846.jpg

Here are a few pics from a different angle....

Picture 1: It's hard to gauge exactly where in the sequence of pictures above this corresponds to but judging from how much the ball is protruding from under his forearm it looks to me like sometime around Picture 3 from above...

1327427317747.jpg

PIcture 2: Here his toes are clearly on the ground...to me judging from the ball it looks like around the time of Picture 4 above, and above by Picture 4 possession is already gone

1327427503269.jpg

Picture 3: Foot completely down....ball completely out

1327427689735.jpg

They got the call right.

I do think it was close enough for a booth review, and I think it's egregious that there wasn't one, but I think they got it right.

-Z

If the the Jennings catch was a touchdown and hell, even we benefited from the same exact thing happening to Shockey while he played for us, that's a touchdown.

Right but we all know the Jennings catch wasn't a TD. That was an egregious call.

-Z

Right but we all know the Jennings catch wasn't a TD. That was an egregious call.

-Z

That's why you'll noticed the "based on current NFL rules" clause in my original post....

The point is, you can't just arbitrarily apply the same rule differently in nearly the same exact situation. But when you make it a subjective call based on what an NFL official sees on the field in real time, and refuse to go to the booth to review it, that's what you get....

I do know a good way to fix it, possession all the way to the ground/two feet in bounds, possession all the way to the ground.

The only time that crossing the plane should be a touchdown is if the running back does it. Otherwise, complete the catch like you would complete the catch on the rest of the field...

Gotcha... I didn't catch that that was tongue in cheek.

-Z

haha yah, i don't like the rule the way it is, either. But like you, I think it at the least warranted a booth review and it's astonishing that one wasn't given. It was definitely close.

The point is, you can't just arbitrarily apply the same rule differently in nearly the same exact situation. But when you make it a subjective call based on what an NFL official sees on the field in real time, and refuse to go to the booth to review it, that's what you get....

I do know a good way to fix it, possession all the way to the ground/two feet in bounds, possession all the way to the ground.

The only two times that crossing the plane should be a touchdown is if the running back does it. Otherwise, complete the catch like you would complete the catch on the rest of the field...

I agree with all of this. I think the officiating has been terrible and inconsistent. Just thought that by the book the Lee Evans play wasn't a catch.

-Z

I agree with all of this. I think the officiating has been terrible and inconsistent. Just thought that by the book the Lee Evans play wasn't a catch.

-Z

You gave it a booth review, at least. :)

If Jennings juggling I never had it solidly for a nano-second in bounds catch was a TD....then definitely Evans' catch was a TOUCH DOWN!!!

haha yah, i don't like the rule the way it is, either. But like you, I think it at the least warranted a booth review and it's astonishing that one wasn't given. It was definitely close.

I've never had any faith that the booth reviewer dude will review a close play for my team in the final two minutes...absolutely zero faith.

-Z

The only time that crossing the plane should be a touchdown is if the running back does it. Otherwise, complete the catch like you would complete the catch on the rest of the field...

What if the player never goes to the ground? Unless you actually make them touch the ball down again, like in Rugby, but then you have the issue of balls being 'held up' (defender between the ball and the turf) which is probably more of a headache, especially in a pile.

Like I said on the day the Evans TD was going to be whatever it was called on the field regardless of review, as it's a really hard one to overturn either way.

Great player by the defender, Moore?, but Flacco should have thrown that farther. Evans catches that in front of him and it's a game winner.

I do agree on the inconsistency and if I am not mistaken a catch in the end zone needs to be made like a normal catch. As pointed out though you have bullshit like the Jennings catch and over turns on much better catches. With replay these type of mistakes are really inexcusable.