SportsWrath

Jeremy Shockey just left me a voicemail

JMFP

LOL, Amani Toomer just now: "Perry Fewell got outcoached tonight."

Dude, seriously, listen to what Trent Dilfer and Steve Young are saying. They are spot on.

Talking about how Brees and company getting the ball out so fast negates what we do best (actually, what we do "best", because we certainly don't rush the passer well at this point in time) and since we don't have the athleticism at the second level, it was far more a testament to how good the Saints are and how bad the Giants are. It is as simple as that. Name me the best defensive coordinator in history and the Saints were still going to take his defense out, if it contained our current defensive roster.

Dude, seriously, listen to what Trent Dilfer and Steve Young are saying. They are spot on.

Talking about how Brees and company getting the ball out so fast negates what we do best (actually, what we do "best", because we certainly don't rush the passer well at this point in time) and since we don't have the athleticism at the second level, it was far more a testament to how good the Saints are and how bad the Giants are. It is as simple as that. Name me the best defensive coordinator in history and the Saints were still going to take his defense out, if it contained our current defensive roster.

I mostly agree. There were times I thought we had opportunities where players did not finish plays. Several times Brees stepped up in the pocket and it was like the defense parted like the Red Sea. I think your beef is with Amani, not me on this game.

As a general thesis, if you are saying that the talent gap in this game between the Saints offense versus our defense was too wide for any scheme to work, I believe that is a legitimate statement. A week ago that wasn't the case. This wasn't really a winnable game. I save my biggest criticisms for Fewell and the coaches when they lose winnable games, with questionable schemes, and I can point to more than a couple of games this year where that was the case.

I mostly agree. There were times I thought we had opportunities where players did not finish plays. Several times Brees stepped up in the pocket and it was like the defense parted like the Red Sea. I think your beef is with Amani, not me on this game.

As a general thesis, if you are saying that the talent gap in this game between the Saints offense versus our defense was too wide for any scheme to work, I believe that is a legitimate statement. A week ago that wasn't the case. This wasn't really a winnable game. I save my biggest criticisms for Fewell and the coaches when they lose winnable games, with questionable schemes, and I can point to more than a couple of games this year where that was the case.

I don't really trust Amani's assessment of anything, no offense....what is he even doing these days? Was that a Twitter posting of his or something?

I just think you, in general, are giving far too much credit to our defensive personnel that I think is pretty mediocre at best (and, injuries have a lot to do with it, but it's not like we haven't had plenty of time to prepare for the loss of guys like TT and Goff) and laying the blame on a defensive coordinator when there really wasn't anything working at all (and Nas was doing it to). It was a completely pathetic showing but there wasn't really anything working, even when they did blitz. I even saw some man coverage tonight and, I believe it was Webster that missed a tackle on Colston (that was the big one that stood out to me, anyway), but it went for a huge gain.....and he's like our best secondary player back there and he's getting burned left and right, too.....

Then, you have the blitz, and it might have been a blitz from the Tampa 2 zone, it probably was, so if that's your beef, I can see the problem there....but continuing on, it left KP one on one against Darren Sproles for 30+ yards.....a mismatch and a half....I just don't think throwing extra guys at some teams is the answer.....

In general, I thought Fewell, at least for this game, tried a lot of the stuff that we have debated about and even stuff I thought might work (man coverage) and absolutely nothing worked....so, for me, I think it is quite plausible that the guys we have back there on defense were inadequate for what we have faced against teams we have lost against....and it's normally quick strike offenses that dink and dunk us to death. I'm not saying I know the answer to it, but I'm pretty sure after tonight that it isn't blitzing more and it's not man coverage....lol

Also, I was just watching Amani. I think there is something wrong with your TV, he looks pretty fit to me.

Actually, I only saw him for a second....I read some people's opinions on twitter, though....

A lot of those same people called Jimmy Graham an albino, so I dunno....lol

Amani also just ripped Deon Grant for getting juked by Drew Brees in the open field. He said if Drew Brees is going to juke you like that, what is a running back going to do? Apparently Amani missed the Buffalo game. But anyway, he basically said Grant is washed up and the Giants should seriously look at giving Sash some playing time. It won't happen, because Grant knows this defense too well. But I have to agree that Grant is not making a lot of athletic plays and tonight he looked particularly bad.

Amani also just ripped Deon Grant for getting juked by Drew Brees in the open field. He said if Drew Brees is going to juke you like that, what is a running back going to do? Apparently Amani missed the Buffalo game. But anyway, he basically said Grant is washed up and the Giants should seriously look at giving Sash some playing time. It won't happen, because Grant knows this defense too well. But I have to agree that Grant is not making a lot of athletic plays and tonight he looked particularly bad.

Well, if you take Grant out, you'd need to replace him with a linebacker, and that might mean improvement on the pass rush and run defense.

So, get that crazy idea out of your head.

Agreed. That was pathetic.

I like Amukamara's hustle, he always seems to be around the ball. Same with JPP. If we get down real bad, real early against the Packers, I really hope we start to see some of these younger, hungrier guys.

Guest StrahansGap

And Amani Toomer could definitely start on our Oline this year...that dude got fat.

Hahaha!! I noticed that too. He's been going to Five Guys Burger every day.

The one difference I saw this week as opposed to last was that our defense actually tried different things. We tried to blitz, we tried to play coverage. None of it worked against a far superior unit. Last week, we did one thing, it didn't work, and we continued to do that one thing...defensively anyhow. So, I will call that an improvement from the coaching standpoint. But our defense was simply outmatched by Brees and the Saints. Add to that the turnovers by our offense - an interception into the endzone, that resulted in an 80 yard drive by Brees for a TD.

At the end of the day, our defense was completely outmatched and our offense kept putting them back on the field.

The thing that blows me away is the number of lengthy drives, 80 yards+, that the Saints had. I knew our defense would struggle, but they literally couldn't get off the field.