SportsWrath

Middle of the Field

knarf

A big problem with Barden and a big reason he hasn't dressed much is simply because he can't contribute on Special Teams. You have to have your 4th and 5th receivers contribute. Barden can't, as a returner or gunner, so he hasn't gotten the time. I think the Giants need to play Barden, though. They need to get him on the field, on the outside, with Manningham in the slot, and try to stretch the field with him. Go up and get it, big boy. Eli benefits from a tall receiver with a big wingspan. Barden needs to step it up.

It's a good point that no. 4 & 5 recievers need to be good on ST and at 6'6"+, it's not conducive to ST play.

I still think he has a future on the team....perhaps a big one.

I think I've seen him maybe make 3 catches this entire preseason. Hixon and Thomas are much better options.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Hixon and Thomas were playing against 2nd stringers in the #1 and/or #2 WR spots while Cruz was playing #3 with Nicks and Manningham on the 1st team. I don't think you can compare them.

Meanwhile Nicks, Manningham and Hixon all have 7 catches while Cruz and Thomas have 6 each.

A big problem with Barden and a big reason he hasn't dressed much is simply because he can't contribute on Special Teams. You have to have your 4th and 5th receivers contribute. Barden can't, as a returner or gunner, so he hasn't gotten the time. I think the Giants need to play Barden, though. They need to get him on the field, on the outside, with Manningham in the slot, and try to stretch the field with him. Go up and get it, big boy. Eli benefits from a tall receiver with a big wingspan. Barden needs to step it up.

Maybe he can hit the weight room and compete at TE?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Hixon and Thomas were playing against 2nd stringers in the #1 and/or #2 WR spots while Cruz was playing #3 with Nicks and Manningham on the 1st team. I don't think you can compare them.

Meanwhile Nicks, Manningham and Hixon all have 7 catches while Cruz and Thomas have 6 each.

Hixon is the number 3. Trust me on this.

And blocking... I really miss having a big WR on the outside...

I think I've seen him maybe make 3 catches this entire preseason. Hixon and Thomas are much better options.

Cruz is the better athlete............I agree about Thomas as an alternate in the slot

Hixon should be backing up the long ball guys Hicks and Manningham

Hixon is not flexible and shifty enough to play the slot, not to mention hes fragile

Cruz is the better athlete............I agree about Thomas as an alternate in the slot

Hixon should be backing up the long ball guys Hicks and Manningham

Hixon is not flexible and shifty enough to play the slot, not to mention hes fragile

....he's played in the slot previously for us, lol.

Yes, the undrafted free agent in his second year (first one hampered with injury, so Hixon isn't the only one "fragile") is the better athlete than the proven commodities.

I love how you get on people about being worried about the Giants citing that it's only preseason and that we have a top 5 offense and defense, yet when it comes to personnel on the field, it seems that preseason is the only way you measure talent. Cruz had one of the best preseasons in history. The Eagles had one of the best offseasons possibly in history. Cruz is your dude yet the Eagles are going to suck. I don't get it.

I just don't know what you guys are basing this Barden love on besides his height. He's not fast, hasn't shown good hands or any real grasp of the playbook, even when he is healthy. He only has 6 receptions in 2 years.

This ^

I mentioned the lack of ability in attacking the middle of the defense the minute we lost Smith to the Eagles and Boss to the Raiders. It's the opposite effect that Shockey had when we signed him years ago. Had Toomer and Hilliard on the outside pre-Shockey. Shockey opened the outside up for those guys.

Add to the fact that Boss and Smith were Eli's goto guys, especially after Burress fucked us, and the shortened offseason, there will be growing pains for sure. Defenses will wait until someone steps up and proves we can attack the middle. Likewise, I will wait until the same. Until then, if I'm the DC of the team playing the Giants, Nicks is definitely doubled. Manningham may even be singled, depending who he's lining up against.

This all goes away, or course, if we're successful running against 8 in the box. That happens, and the need to attack the middle goes away.

Cruz is not garbage bro. And how do you get that Barden is the guy? :confused:

He really is and idk honestly I just have faith in Barden that's all. 3rd year from a small school oozes talent so I think he can step up a bit. Well see, I just think Cruz is very overrated by all.

Regardless of how everyone feels about Barden, I think we can all agree that hes running out of time if he hasnt already. I hope the Giants give him at least a little more time to get healthy and see if he can bring something to this offense. Given the flux this team has gone through this offseason Bardens physical attributes could be a huge x factor if he can get it together. Big if obviously.