SportsWrath

Middle of the Field

knarf

I am really hoping the giants address this (Te/slot receiver) issue. They drafted 2 guys (bechem and jerrgan sp* too lazy to look up) and neither seem to be suited or have the ability yet for the job. i can only hope somehow another Hedgecock type player at those positions is let go in cuts because eli seems to be struggling without at least one of those options. i wouldn't even mind seeing them bring in a guy like TJ whosyourmama in and see if he has anyting left in the tank to play the slot.

Of all the players over the past 4 or 5 years that have gone over the middle for the Giants with any kind of success, and you choose a Madison Hedgecock type player to describe that player?

I hope, for the Giants sake, that they NEVER pick up another "Hedgecock type player"......unless it's strictly for use as a fullback.

Personally, I hope a Kevin Boss type player is let go in cuts and we pick him up to improve our offense that will struggle all season if we don't.

i didn't mean in that he went over the middle..... i meant he was picked up off waivers.... i solid player who was picked up off waivers... i didn't think i had to spell it out.

Hixon would have been the perfect example to use..... :smartass: I wasn't sure, I thought you might be one of those in the Gilbride school of "USE THE HEDGECOCK SWING PASS" to move the ball on 3rd down.....

I think we're fine in the slot with Hixon, personally. I would like to see us scoop up a tight end though.....ANY tight end.

I just don't see anyone with the right makeup for the slot besides maybe cruz, hixon to me is alot like manningham without the open field moves. And the swing pass to hedgecock works great in madden lol. I just see manning struggling without atleast one of those options.

I think Cruz will fill the "shifty slot guy" role. I don't think they're showing much of the playbook at all this preseason.

I actually believe that your absolutely wrong

And that Cruz brings NOTHING to the table whatsoever he was a one hit wonder and the clock

Has struck midnight.

Hixon is a guy who will be useful or us in that role and I firmly believe Beckum and eventually Barden can help out and combine it with a promising young talent in Thomas or our 3rd rounder JJ who just needs

Time and if he stays healthy all year can have a big impact for us down the stretch ( think steve smith 07 )

Osi, you're a little too optimistic. I think there is a problem there. The problem with Beckum is you really have to put him in the slot. You put him by the tackle and he's going to get knocked on his ass. He can't block there, so the defense knows that the Giants are probably passing with him in the game. Pascoe and Ballard I both like, but neither of them are seam busters. You need a guy that can run up the seam and make the safety respect that. Right now any linebacker is going to be able to be left one on one with our TE's, and that allows the safeties to devote their attention to help on the outside. Nicks and Manningham are good weapons, but if the safeties don't respect the other options, you're just going to see a lot of doubles on those guys.

I think the slot receiver will work itself out. If anything, like Storm said, Hixon is a fine option there. I also think Cruz and Thomas are capable and can get worked in as they come along.

But TE is a problem and it's really hurting Eli's ability to effectively use the outside guys. Ben Patrick probably screwed us. Hopefully they get this worked out.

Btw Manningham and Nicks both have the ability to work the middle also I you wanna line a guy like Barden or Thomas up on the outside.

Really, you have to stop with this Barden fantasy. He is a failed experiment. I know, I know...he's 6' 6", could be a red zone threat, yada, yada, yada..........well, I have a buddy who's 6' 6", too but he's not going to be an NFL receiver, either. Barden has a little better chance than Jack's pick, Ursain Bolt....but not much.

Really, you have to stop with this Barden fantasy. He is a failed experiment. I know, I know...he's 6' 6", could be a red zone threat, yada, yada, yada..........well, I have a buddy who's 6' 6", too but he's not going to be an NFL receiver, either. Barden has a little better chance than Jack's pick, Ursain Bolt....but not much.

I also have a friend who is 6'7" and is always the last one picked for the team in basketball. He cannot rebound or shoot a basketball or even make a layup. Guys who are 5'6" routinely out-rebound him. It's funny to watch. Heck of a nice guy....not a lick of coordination or athletic instinct.

BUT - you can't put Barden in that boat. He is an outstanding athlete who during college, merely broke the long standing record for WR's that was held by Jerry Rice (maybe you've heard of him, no?), another Div II product. And according to his real measurments, he's closer to 6'7" than 6'6". He also timed at 4.61 seconds in the 40-yard dash, 17 reps on the bench press, a 33.5" vertical jump, and a 9' 10" broad jump in the combine. Those are NOT numbers of a guy whose only talent is that he's tall.

Barden finished his college career with 206 receptions, 4,203 yards, and 50 touchdowns. Those are NOT the numbers of a guy with zero football talent.

He has been given little chance to get on the field playing behind some stars and then when he finally got to suit up, he looked pretty good and then broke his ankle.....and he's been recovering ever since.

Regardless.....throwing Barden away and saying he's a failed experiment is crazy. His size is nice, sure....but it was much more than his size that got him drafted and the Giants felt good enough about him to trade their 5th and swap 3rds with hated enemy the Eagles to get him.

He isn't going to be cut.

I actually believe that your absolutely wrong

And that Cruz brings NOTHING to the table whatsoever he was a one hit wonder and the clock

Has struck midnight.

Hixon is a guy who will be useful or us in that role and I firmly believe Beckum and eventually Barden can help out and combine it with a promising young talent in Thomas or our 3rd rounder JJ who just needs

Time and if he stays healthy all year can have a big impact for us down the stretch ( think steve smith 07 )

Cruz has been the best gunner on STs and I think he'd make the team on that alone. As for offensively, again, I don't think the Giants Offense as a whole showed even 5% of their playbook this preseason. Devin Thomas looked decent against 3rd string D's but that's not a great way to judge a depth chart. Barden is a lost cause.

Cruz has been the best gunner on STs and I think he'd make the team on that alone. As for offensively, again, I don't think the Giants Offense as a whole showed even 5% of their playbook this preseason. Devin Thomas looked decent against 3rd string D's but that's not a great way to judge a depth chart. Barden is a lost cause.

Agreed on cruz, but are you saying Barden is a lost cause based on being a slot receiver in the middle of the field....or a lost cause overall? Because I think he has a future (a bright one) on the Giants....definitely not as the "Z", but as a long ball threat down field as well as in the red zone.

Maybe I'm the eternal optimist and blinded by my love for the team. I even think Chad Jones is going to make a significant mark on this team in the future. And I believe TT will be back and better than ever.

Btw Manningham and Nicks both have the ability to work the middle also I you wanna line a guy like Barden or Thomas up on the outside.

Manningham's route running sucks, hence I don't think he'd be able to fill the slot roll. if he's able to fix that, maybe.

Agreed on cruz, but are you saying Barden is a lost cause based on being a slot receiver in the middle of the field....or a lost cause overall? Because I think he has a future (a bright one) on the Giants....definitely not as the "Z", but as a long ball threat down field as well as in the red zone.

Maybe I'm the eternal optimist and blinded by my love for the team. I even think Chad Jones is going to make a significant mark on this team in the future. And I believe TT will be back and better than ever.

I just don't know what you guys are basing this Barden love on besides his height. He's not fast, hasn't shown good hands or any real grasp of the playbook, even when he is healthy. He only has 6 receptions in 2 years.

I just don't know what you guys are basing this Barden love on besides his height. He's not fast, hasn't shown good hands or any real grasp of the playbook, even when he is healthy. He only has 6 receptions in 2 years.

He's only played in a total of 4 games with very little time on the field.

And he is fast....has great hands......and broke Jerry Rice's college record that was supposed to be untouchable.

It's like a kid breaking Joe Dimaggio's 1949 hitting streak record of 56 games, while in the minors and people saying, well the kid's height is good, but he can't hit.

I think Cruz will fill the "shifty slot guy" role. I don't think they're showing much of the playbook at all this preseason.

This. He or Hixon would be fine in that position. Jernigan probably will be a fine slot rec. as well. Hopefully he corrects his special teams mishaps so he can conitnue getting looks.

And he is fast....has great hands......and broke Jerry Rice's college record that was supposed to be untouchable.

It's like a kid breaking Joe Dimaggio's 1949 hitting streak record of 56 games, while in the minors and people saying, well the kid's height is good, but he can't hit.

Exactly. He clearly hasn't shown the coaches enough to be considered for game time.

Exactly. He clearly hasn't shown the coaches enough to be considered for game time.

how is he supposed to get on the field when he had Nicks, Smith and Manningham ahead of him? and when he did get on the field, he did look good. you can't give up on this guy yet. remember Ed McCaffrey? the grass is always greener....

how is he supposed to get on the field when he had Nicks, Smith and Manningham ahead of him? and when he did get on the field, he did look good. you can't give up on this guy yet. remember Ed McCaffrey? the grass is always greener....

The other receivers don't play every snap. Barden wasn't even dressed for most games.

No, he equaled Rice's TD record, which had already been broken by David Ball in 2006. Where is this receiving powerhouse Ball now you ask? With the Erie Explosion of the Southern Indoor Football League!

There were several receivers the Giants have had like McCaffrey....

Jurevicius and David Patten are two I can think of off the top of my head.

Of all the guys you are all mentioning........no one has had the shock value of Cruz

so far he is showing the possibilities of being a star player..........some of the catches he's madee are mind boggling for a guy with zero NFL experience before stepping onthe field against the Jets last year

yes he had alligator arms last week but Eli threw it to him in a suicide spot...........better to let the pass drop and live to play another day than get hurt in a meaningless pre season game.

Of all the guys you are all mentioning........no one has had the shock value of Cruz

so far he is showing the possibilities of being a star player..........some of the catches he's madee are mind boggling for a guy with zero NFL experience before stepping onthe field against the Jets last year

yes he had alligator arms last week but Eli threw it to him in a suicide spot...........better to let the pass drop and live to play another day tha get hurt in a meaningless pre season game.

I think I've seen him maybe make 3 catches this entire preseason. Hixon and Thomas are much better options.

A big problem with Barden and a big reason he hasn't dressed much is simply because he can't contribute on Special Teams. You have to have your 4th and 5th receivers contribute. Barden can't, as a returner or gunner, so he hasn't gotten the time. I think the Giants need to play Barden, though. They need to get him on the field, on the outside, with Manningham in the slot, and try to stretch the field with him. Go up and get it, big boy. Eli benefits from a tall receiver with a big wingspan. Barden needs to step it up.