Ayanga Okpokowuruk

BleedinBlue

Who's his competition?

Osi

Tuck

JPP

Tollefson

Do we keep 5 DE's?

Well, I did the offense in the other thread, might as well do the defense here... going with a 25 man projection:

DE's (I'm saying only 4)

Osi

Tuck

JPP

Tollefson

DT's (gimme 5, here)

Canty

Linval

Bernard

Jimmy Kennedy (pure speculation here)

Gabe Watson (I think he makes it)

LBers (pick 7)

Boley

Goff

Kiwi

Paysinger

G. Jones?

Herzlich?

Sintim?

Tracy?

Dillard?

J. Williams?

Personally, I think Dillard, Herzlich, Tracy, and possibly even Sintim are in trouble. They MIGHT keep 7 LBers, or could go with 6 if they want another DE or S.... given our defensive culture it's going to be a DE. I can say that I'm only certain about 4 of those linbackers. I think Jones has a leg up on Herzlich, though, despite the fact that everyone wants Herzlich to make the team.

CB's (5)

Webster

Ross

Coe

Williams

Amukamara

S (4)

Rolle

Phillips

Grant

Sash

Also, don't forget Alex Hall... if they go with that 5th DE, it's between Hall and Okpokowuruk.

Well, I did the offense in the other thread, might as well do the defense here... going with a 25 man projection:

DE's (I'm saying only 4)

Osi

Tuck

JPP

Tollefson

DT's (gimme 5, here)

Canty

Linval

Bernard

Jimmy Kennedy (pure speculation here)

Gabe Watson (I think he makes it)

LBers (pick 7)

Boley

Goff

Kiwi

Paysinger

G. Jones?

Herzlich?

Sintim?

Tracy?

Dillard?

J. Williams?

Personally, I think Dillard, Herzlich, Tracy, and possibly even Sintim are in trouble. They MIGHT keep 7 LBers, or could go with 6 if they want another DE or S.... given our defensive culture it's going to be a DE. I can say that I'm only certain about 4 of those linbackers. I think Jones has a leg up on Herzlich, though, despite the fact that everyone wants Herzlich to make the team.

CB's (5)

Webster

Ross

Coe

Williams

Amukamara

S (4)

Rolle

Phillips

Grant

Sash

Also, don't forget Alex Hall... if they go with that 5th DE, it's between Hall and Okpokowuruk.

I think Herzlick makes the team because those on the bubble better be good on special teams and so far, Herzlick has been very good on ST.

TC says one of his main goals this year is to fix Special Teams and I believe every backup position going will have an awful lot to do with how they perform on ST.

I think Herzlick makes the team because those on the bubble better be good on special teams and so far, Herzlick has been very good on ST.

TC says one of his main goals this year is to fix Special Teams and I believe every backup position going will have an awful lot to do with how they perform on ST.

Yeah, but Jones has as well. Did you see Jones block that punt? Jones has been everywhere. I just don't think they keep both Jones and Herzlich, do you?

Yeah, but Jones has as well. Did you see Jones block that punt? Jones has been everywhere. I just don't think they keep both Jones and Herzlich, do you?

yes they do. i would put money on it

You've listed 25 offense and 25 defense, leaving 3 extra spots for K, P and LS. Is DeOssie in trouble? Wasn't someone else doing long snapping duty last game?

Yeah....I see them keeping both. Herzlich is more in a battle with Paysinger and Williams. The won't let Jones go.

My biggest point though.....is that all of the backups better be good on special teams because that is the area the Giants need extreme help....and Herzlich has been a stud in ST.

You've listed 25 offense and 25 defense, leaving 3 extra spots for K, P and LS. Is DeOssie in trouble? Wasn't someone else doing long snapping duty last game?

I wish. DeOssie is a space taker and it doesn't seem that long snapping is really that hard for a center to master. Anyhow, I don't recall if someone else was long snapping last game. If there was, DeOssie is probably history.

DeOssie is good in ST coverage, though, too. Anyhow, I don't see Herzlich as competition for Williams and Paysinger. I believe those two are in competition to back up Boley, but not Herzlich... he's a different kind of backer. He's a middle linebacker or he's a SAM. Probably the latter, but if he makes the team he will be expected to be called upon to do both. So perhaps he is competing for the backup spot to Kiwanuka... and battling Sintim and Tracy for that job.

There's no way he can compete for the weakside backer spot because he simply doesn't have the speed that Paysinger and Williams possess... right now he's probably a 2 down linebacker.

DeOssie is good in ST coverage, though, too. Anyhow, I don't see Herzlich as competition for Williams and Paysinger. I believe those two are in competition to back up Boley, but not Herzlich... he's a different kind of backer. He's a middle linebacker or he's a SAM. Probably the latter, but if he makes the team he will be expected to be called upon to do both. So perhaps he is competing for the backup spot to Kiwanuka... and battling Sintim and Tracy for that job.

There's no way he can compete for the weakside backer spot because he simply doesn't have the speed that Paysinger and Williams possess... right now he's probably a 2 down linebacker.

Great points. I was just looking at linebackers in general and I realize now, that I wasn't bothering to divide them out according to their strengths and obvious positions. I like Herzlich and hope he sticks somehow. I believe he has a lot of upside.

Great points. I was just looking at linebackers in general and I realize now, that I wasn't bothering to divide them out according to their strengths and obvious positions. I like Herzlich and hope he sticks somehow. I believe he has a lot of upside.

The spin move to beat two blockers and make the tackle on the punt return, while the booth was fucking profiling him, was just great.

The spin move to beat two blockers and make the tackle on the punt return, while the booth was fucking profiling him, was just great.

Yeah, I saw that. The jumping up near the line of scrimmage and batting the pass and then catching it for a turnover also impressed me.

I think if he's put on the practice squad, some team will grab him up. That's why I'm hoping he makes the cut.

I wish. DeOssie is a space taker and it doesn't seem that long snapping is really that hard for a center to master. Anyhow, I don't recall if someone else was long snapping last game. If there was, DeOssie is probably history.

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

lol, can't believe any giants fan alive in 2002 would say that.

We lost a game against the Texans that year too cause the snap went over Matt Allen's head for a safety.

16 to 14.

If long snapping was easy, every one would do it...but it's a skill.

One of the more forgotten aspects of that play is Matt Allen threw a hell of a pass on the run, off his back foot..40 yards and nearly completed the pass.

He did, didnt he? lol........We were all so pissed that we forgot all about that.

We lost a game against the Texans that year too cause the snap went over Matt Allen's head for a safety.

16 to 14.

I also think part of the skill is the blocking part. The long snapper has two hands on the ball and is bent all the way over and has to bring himself up very quickly to block, much different than a regular snap.

Though I'm not gonna lie I don't understand why you can't train linemen with existing roster spots to do it.

-Z

16 to 14.

Yea like golfing :P