SportsWrath

Osi and Giants discuss new contract

BleedinBlue

From KFFL:

Fri, 05 Aug 2011 16:40:05 -0700

The New York Giants are talking with DL Osi Umenyiora (knee) in order to resolve his contract problems. The Giants have offered to add performance clauses to his current contract, such as sack incentives. However, Umenyiora's camp said no to that proposal. "So Osi's camp said no to that," ESPN New York 1050 NFL Insider Vinny Cerrato said. "And then Osi went back to the Giants and said if you cut off the last year of my deal, make me a free agent after this year, I'll play as long as you don't franchise me and let me go after this year." Umenyiora has not practiced at all with the team "because he says he has a sore knee." The injury is not expected to require surgery.

Read more:

Here is what some of our starting players will make this season:

William Beatty ($480K)

Jonathan Goff ($555K)

Linval Joseph ($405K)

Hakeem Nicks ($575K)

Kenny Phillips ($722,500)

Terrell Thomas ($555K)

And you don't hear any of them complaining. Osi needs to STFU. He got $15 mil guaranteed on a 7 year, $41 mil deal. He'll make $3.125 mil this year on a contract that was front-loaded. He needs to shut up and play.

William Beatty ($480K)

Jonathan Goff ($555K)

Linval Joseph ($405K)

Hakeem Nicks ($575K)

Terrell Thomas ($555K)

And you don't hear any of them complaining. Osi needs to STFU. He got $15 mil guaranteed on a 7 year, $41 mil deal. He'll make $3.125 mil this year on a contract that was front-loaded. He needs to shut up and play.

And the team offered him an additional 2 million in incentives, but he's turned it down. Agree...he needs to stfu and play ball like a man!

And while Osi's whining like a baby, Jacobs restructured and cut his pay in order to keep Bradshaw. A truly classy act considering they compete against each other for carries.

William Beatty ($480K)

Jonathan Goff ($555K)

Linval Joseph ($405K)

Hakeem Nicks ($575K)

Terrell Thomas ($555K)

Thought it was a 5 year deal Jim? and my understanding is he already pocketed $21M in the first three years. My guess is he's jealous of Tuck.. which is fucking sad. Unlike many other sports no team in football revolves around one player.. even when Strahan was hardballing his negotiations I felt a little bit of desdain towards him and I love Strahan

2005 article on Osi's deal

Six-year extension includes $15 million guaranteed

By Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

Archive

Christmas came early for New York Giants defensive end Osi Umenyiora.

Friday night, ESPN.com learned Umenyiora had followed up the first Pro Bowl selection of his career earlier this week by agreeing to a landmark six-year contract extension.

The extension, which runs through the 2012 season, totals just under $41 million and includes $15 million in guarantees. The three-year veteran, who is second in the league in sacks with 12½, will make about $21 million in the first three years of the contract.

The deal, negotiated by the Manhattan-based agency Sportstars -- where Brian Mackler, Alan Herman, James Ivler and Jason Chayut are the principal representatives -- will be officially executed in the next few days.

The guaranteed part of the contract is believed to be the largest ever awarded to a three-year veteran.

"The Giants have always demonstrated a proactive stance with their talented, young players and this is the latest example of their approach," said Mackler, who was the point man in negotiations, but declined to discuss specifics of the contract. "This moves Osi into a category with the most elite ends in the game, and that's saying something for a player who hasn't even completed his third season yet."

Umenyiora, 25, has emerged over the last season and a half as one of the NFL's premier young defenders. His newfound stardom was punctuated on Wednesday as he joined Giants teammate Michael Strahan as two of the three ends chosen to represent the NFC in the annual Pro Bowl game.

A former Troy State standout, Umenyiora moved into the starting lineup at the midpoint of last season, when starter Keith Washington was injured. He started seven of the last eight games and registered seven sacks and four forced fumbles.

This season, Umenyiora has been even better, establishing a career best in total tackles, with 64, to go along with his 12½ sacks. He has four multi-sack games in 2005, at least one sack in nine of 14 contests and 19½ sacks in his last 25 appearances, dating to 2004. For his career, Umenyiora has 141 tackles, 20½ sacks, seven forced fumbles and also six fumble recoveries.

New York general manager Ernie Accorsi felt so strongly about Umenyiora's potential that he refused to include him in the trade package the Giants sent to San Diego in 2004 to obtain the rights to quarterback Eli Manning. In training camp this summer, Accorsi reiterated to ESPN.com that he would have allowed the Manning deal to collapse rather than send Umenyiora the Chargers, where San Diego coaches wanted to utilize him as a hybrid linebacker-end in their 3-4 scheme.

The Giants were able to acquire Manning without sacrificing Umenyiora and, as a result, gained not only a franchise-type quarterback but retained a superb young defender.

Born in London to parents of Nigerian descent, Umenyiora played at Auburn (Ala.) High School. Although he desperately wanted to attend Auburn University, he was not heavily sought by major programs and was essentially a recruiting afterthought by the Troy State coaching staff.

He was chosen by the Giants in the second round of the 2003 draft, the 56th player taken, and signed a four-year, $2.53 million contract with a $1.165 million signing bonus. Without the extension, that four-year deal would have expired following the 2006 season.

What a dirt bag.

Thought it was a 5 year deal Jim? and my understanding is he already pocketed $21M in the first three years. My guess is he's jealous of Tuck.. which is fucking sad. Unlike many other sports no team in football revolves around one player.. even when Strahan was hardballing his negotiations I felt a little bit of desdain towards him and I love Strahan

It was a 6 year extension, I think I put 7 years. But you are correct, he did pocket $21M the first 3 years and now is unhappy he'll only make around $7 million in the last 2 years of his deal. He's acting like he's not getting a fair shake when he's already made around $34 million off the Giants in this contract.

William Beatty ($480K)

Jonathan Goff ($555K)

Linval Joseph ($405K)

Hakeem Nicks ($575K)

Terrell Thomas ($555K)

that's what is so annoying about it. players insist on frontloaded contracts because they can get cut at any time. fine, that's fair, but you can't bitch after you made almost all of your money in the first couple of seasons.

It was a 6 year extension, I think I put 7 years. But you are correct, he did pocket $21M the first 3 years and now is unhappy he'll only make around $7 million in the last 2 years of his deal. He's acting like he's not getting a fair shake when he's already made around $34 million off the Giants in this contract.

If I'm not mistaken he's suppose to make around $7M per year left.. which is A LOT of money as is... for someone who's a middle of the Pack DE.

Don't blame him for rejecting the 2 million. He wants guaranteed money, who doesn't?

Let him go find a trade after the season, first round compensation required. If he wants to pull that bum knee deal with him for the rest of the season, it can only hurt his future value.

He is not jealous of Tuck, he has seen one year wonders like Charles Johnson and Jason Babin get major deals. He thinks the Giants should share the wealth, he such a dumb fuck he doesn't realize the Panthers and Eagles had the cap space to make those moves, the Giants don't. He is still getting a pretty penny, not like he is going broke. Plus, Johnson and Babin, did work their asses off the whole year, he had three games in which his stats got blown up and disappeared for most of the other games. Such a major distraction, in which we should be focusing on football, The Giants even tried reasoning with him, and offered an incentive based contract. He had his rookie deal torn up already and now that he is in the back end of the contract, in which he already received tons of money, he wants out. What a fucking bitch. :furious: In a economy in which alot of people are jobless and this asshole wants more then $3.5 million for doing nothing. Faking an injury is also an all time low for any fucking player. Fucking cut him.

Early on I was actually on Osi's side for the reasons he stated about having to kmake money now and injured players being cut and such, but once I was reminded on here that we had his first contract throw out and signed a big front loaded contract, he can sit out. I am usually pro players vs pro owners but you cannot repeatedly demand a new contract before the current one expires. Particularly when it is at least arguable you have not loived up to the previous big pay day.

The only options that should be considered by the Giants are

1- trade him for either a 1st/2nd round pick or near top teir lb/te. (trading a position of strength for a position of need)

2-place him on i njured reserve and let him sit out the season (remove the problem from the rest of the team)

'

3-give him an incentive laden contract and throw out the last year on the deal. (insure he plays to the best of his abilities if it becomes clear noone is interested in trading for him)

Osi was jealous of Tuck the minute Tuck signed his new contract. He called him "Moneybags" or something like that and has been a whiny bitch ever since.

i dont remember that, you got a link or anything?