SportsWrath

Tyler Sash

Chuck Wagon

If any of you guys hear anything or have any opinions about Sash's shot at making the 53 man roster, I would appreciate hearing it....I'm an Alum of the U of Iowa and the kid grew up and played HS ball about 30 miles form my town. He's a good guy and I hope he makes the club. I think he'd be a demon on special teams

Thanks

C. Wagon.

If any of you guys hear anything or have any opinions about Sash's shot at making the 53 man roster, I would appreciate hearing it....I'm an Alum of the U of Iowa and the kid grew up and played HS ball about 30 miles form my town. He's a good guy and I hope he makes the club. I think he'd be a demon on special teams

Thanks

C. Wagon.

There hasn't been a lot of writeups about him in the practice reports. But of course, they onlywrite something up when a person either impresses or makes mistakes.

There's not a lot of competition at backup safety, especially with Aaron Ross (who has played backup safety in the past) is adamant that he will no longer fill in for safety.

The current roster and depth chart shows Antrel Rolle as starting Strong Safety, with Sash his backup and the only other competition, UDFA David Sims (another Iowa guy).

On the Free Safety side, Kenny Philips is starter with UDFA Cary Harris and UDFA Jerrard Tarrant (who was projected to go in the third round) are fighting it out for a spot on the roster as backups.

I'm sure one of your Iowa boys will be on the team.....most likely Sash because he was drafted.

Agree with Bleedin'... I really think Sash is going to make the team, and there's a chance that both Sash AND Sims makes it.

*EDIT... that's if one of them (most likely Sims) can play the FS position. At backup SS, it's GOT be Sash, I think he'd have to clearly be outplayed to not make the roster, and I think this kid has to much heart and fire to be denied.

Agree with Bleedin'... I really think Sash is going to make the team, and there's a chance that both Sash AND Sims makes it.

*EDIT... that's if one of them (most likely Sims) can play the FS position. At backup SS, it's GOT be Sash, I think he'd have to clearly be outplayed to not make the roster, and I think this kid has to much heart and fire to be denied.

That would be awesome.

Thank God for the NFL channel...I'll get to see all the preseason games.

Thank all you gentleman for your info. .

C. Wagon

Sixth-round pick S Tyler Sash had his first interception of camp, making a great play on a high, floating pass from Rosenfels and timing his jump perfectly. Afterward, Safeties Coach David Merritt ran over to where Sash finished the play (the opposing end zone) and congratulated him by saying, “That’s a heck of a play, Sash!”

It's no-pads practice, can't light him up...yet.

Under the new CBA arnt no pads practice the new norm?

I thought they can only practice in pads when the season was under way.

I'm probably wrong but I'm sure I read something under the new terms that full contact practices are being phased out.

From Mike Garofalo's blog:

I don’t know how you make proclamations like this when the first preseason game hasn’t even begun, but that’s never stopped lil’ ol’ opinionated me from making outlandish statements, so here goes.

Rookie safety Tyler Sash is going to be some kind of player.

Again, he hasn’t made a live tackle in the NFL yet and I’m already penciling him in as a 10-year veteran. I know, crazy talk. But I can’t help it. To see him be in the right place so often in a year where the rookies had no offseason workouts, OTAs or minicamps is quite remarkable.

And I think the coaching staff feels the same way because Sash got some first-team reps on Sunday night. At first, I thought Kenny Phillips was hurt or resting his knee, but he went back out there later on. Frankly, I think Sash was already being rewarded for some outstanding practices.

I’ve mentioned Sash’s presence against the run so far, but he’s also made a few plays against the pass, including a batted ball on Sunday. Keep an eye on any mentions of him moving forward here

We'll see how he plays in a real game, every off season there is one late round rookie or UDFA who the beat writers get a hold of and try to make a story of it.

Hope the kid if the real deal, if KP or Rolle go down he will have his chance to win a starting spot for years to come.