SportsWrath

David Baas your new starting center

Lubeck

I think Beatty needs another year (possibly 2) to become a solid starter at left.

Gallery (if you recall) was drafted no.2 after Eli, and Giants took Philip Rivers with the no.3 pick....then traded Rivers and half the farm for Eli. Most people on this board were screaming for Roethlisberger or Rivers to go no. 2 so that Gallery would fall into their laps.

He's been hurt off and on since turning pro, but I believe he is still a stud LT. I haven't followed his career to know much more than how he was tauted the year we got Eli.

How can you be pushing for a guy you admit knowing nothing about? Oh he was a highly touted draft prospect years ago that is a really smart way to go after free agents. :rolleyes:

I don't think they have plans to move Diehl inside. I see Diehl-Baas-Koets-Snee-McKenzie. Beatty,Boothe,Petrus back ups.

I think they will give Beatty every chance to win the left tackle spot.

Guest StrahansGap

Giants fans, get ready for a new fan favorite. Baas is the real deal. Go look at some of the 49er fan forums and you will see a lot of anger and dissapointment over this move. They really liked him over there and feel he will be SORELY missed. Great move Reese!!!!!!!

And IMO, Baas will be the starting center. Koetz will start at left guard. Depending on what they do with McKenzie, I see Beatty at left tackle and Deihl at right tackle. If McKenzie stays, it'll be a fight between RT between him and Diehl.

Giants fans, get ready for a new fan favorite. Baas is the real deal. Go look at some of the 49er fan forums and you will see a lot of anger and dissapointment over this move. They really liked him over there and feel he will be SORELY missed. Great move Reese!!!!!!!

And IMO, Baas will be the starting center. Koetz will start at left guard. Depending on what they do with McKenzie, I see Beatty at left tackle and Deihl at right tackle. If McKenzie stays, it'll be a fight between RT between him and Diehl.

if i were a betting man, i'd bet the house that is not the way it plays out.

I think they will give Beatty every chance to win the left tackle spot.

Diehl gave up 7.5 sacks out of the 16. During the draft, they seemed to they didn't want Diehl moving inside, I can't see him sitting though. McKenzie could be released, his knees are shot and he is making $4.35 Million this year. Like Gap said, possibly Diehl moving to RT and Beatty starting at LT.

Agreed. McKenzie is good for letting his man into Eli's face at least 3 times a game and I don't trust any Offensive Lineman with BEAT in their name. Hopefully my concerns are unwarranted.

McKenzie gave up the least hurries and sacks of any right tackle in the league. Look it up.

I think Beatty needs another year (possibly 2) to become a solid starter at left.

Gallery (if you recall) was drafted no.2 after Eli, and Giants took Philip Rivers with the no.3 pick....then traded Rivers and half the farm for Eli. Most people on this board were screaming for Roethlisberger or Rivers to go no. 2 so that Gallery would fall into their laps.

He's been hurt off and on since turning pro, but I believe he is still a stud LT. I haven't followed his career to know much more than how he was tauted the year we got Eli.

Rivers was the 4th pick of the draft. Larry Fitzgerald, arguably the best player in that draft, was 3rd.

My sentiments exactly.

You'll probably see Diehl stay at left tackle. I don't think Beatty is going to play better than him and if it comes down to moving Diehl inside for the sake of Beatty getting some playing time, that wouldn't be a good move.

The FO has to account for his age.. he's on the decline.

Michael Strahan and Tiki Barber played some of their best football "on the decline". That's a pretty short-sighted comment, Nas.

Diehl gave up 7.5 sacks out of the 16. During the draft, they seemed to they didn't want Diehl moving inside, I can't see him sitting though. McKenzie could be released, his knees are shot and he is making $4.35 Million this year. Like Gap said, possibly Diehl moving to RT and Beatty starting at LT.

deihl wouldn't sit, he'd move into guard.

his contract is even structured where the giants dont have to pay him as much if he is at guard instead of tackle.

Guest StrahansGap

You're probably right. This is just hypothetical. Assuming McKenzie gets cut (and it looks like Reese is giving the O-line an enima) it is very possible they give Beatty a chance to start, whether it be at RT or LT. Definitely not out of the realm is it?

By the way, I love Mckenzie. He has been the most durable Giant on that o-Line, next to Snee. McKenzie has only missed 7 games since 2002 and 4 of them was from the major injury he suffered in 09'. Go look at his game log. Per year, It goes something like this: 16,16,16,14,16,15,16,12,16. Pretty impressive if you ask me.

The more I read about Baas, the more I like the signing. 330, with a mean streak, young guy, but seasoned. Great signing.

Love O'Hara, but last season was a real struggle, and from all accounts, he's not healthy now.

Kareem Mckenzie had a better season in 2010, it was hard to watch him in 2009.

Will Beatty, far from ready to takeover for David Diehl. Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up at RT in the future.

David Bass, Adam Koets and Mitch Petrus are all in the running for Center.

Koets took over for O'Hara early on but was later replaced by Seubert. Looking forward to seeing Petrus in his second season.

Probable offensive line going into the season:

Diehl, Boothe, Bass, Snee, McKenzie

The more I read about Baas, the more I like the signing. 330, with a mean streak, young guy, but seasoned. Great signing.

Love O'Hara, but last season was a real struggle, and from all accounts, he's not healthy now.

I'm just reading up on Baas and saw his picture. He looks like a mean MF.....almost the look of a neanderthal (which is a good thing when talking lineman).

davidbaas.jpg