SportsWrath

David Baas your new starting center

Lubeck

Report: Giants move Diehl to guard

Jeff Roberts of The Record reports via Twitter that the Giants have informed left tackle David Diehl that he will be moving to left guard this season. Roberts also reports that the move will cost Diehl about $750,000 in salary this year, though I'm not sure how that exactly works.

Not unexpected, no. Diehl did not play left tackle well last year and is better suited inside at this point. With Shaun O'Hara and Rich Suebert having been cut, the need for help is on the interior of the offensive line. What remains to be seen is what the Giants do at left tackle. Given their cap concerns and the outstanding contract issues with Ahmad Bradshaw, Steve Smith, Mathias Kiwanuka and Kevin Boss, it's unlikely they'll hit the free-agent market and bring someone (Max Starks?) in from the outside. Most likely, this move means they think Will Beatty is ready to take over the starting left tackle spot.

That means the Giants' starting offensive line, left to right, would be Beatty, Diehl, David Baas, Chris Snee and Kareem McKenzie. Which could work, as long as Beatty can handle it.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/28822/report-giants-move-diehl-to-guard

Wow... you know Diehl is going to be pissed. His contract dictates he gets paid a lot more at LT than G. It's interesting that they are telling him this right now, I would think they would want Beatty to take the job from him in camp rather than just giving him the job. IF Beatty can handle LT, and that's a big IF, we will have a pretty awesome line.

Wow... you know Diehl is going to be pissed. His contract dictates he gets paid a lot more at LT than G. It's interesting that they are telling him this right now, I would think they would want Beatty to take the job from him in camp rather than just giving him the job. IF Beatty can handle LT, and that's a big IF, we will have a pretty awesome line.

Yeah, back during the draft, when they were talking OT for us. The team said they had no intention of moving Diehl inside. After all of this, I really wish we took an OT, I think we liked Solder more then anybody and he was off the board. Amukamara was just too good to pass on for a Costanzo or Carimi. I am really not high on Brewer, he is softer then a baby's ass, I have the same concern with Beatty. We like guys with meaner dispositions on our line.