SportsWrath

NY Giants Sign Former Eagles Offensive Lineman Shawn Andrews

Mr. P

Bump. The Giants should just pick another AFC team to play against during the preseason. I am sick of the Jets as they pull this shit every year.

to be fair, i think we did some real damage to pennington one year. but your point is well taken- it does seem more important to them.

to be fair, i think we did some real damage to pennington one year. but your point is well taken- it does seem more important to them.

Yes and I thought that sucked too....a decent portion of NY cheers for the Jets and why should another NY team damage the ability of another team to achieve in a mere preseason game.

Bump. The Giants should just pick another AFC team to play against during the preseason. I am sick of the Jets as they pull this shit every year.

It's fine.. it's that inferiority complex. And remember we won that game anyway.

It makes the offensive line depth chart interesting. This is a nice tidy pickup of a guy with a ton of talent but tons of issues also. Who would make way for him?. Boothe, Whimper, and Petrus, one of these could be gone unless they let Koets go and have De Ossie do all the snapping. I hope Boothe doesn't lose out as I thought he showed some last year when he came in.

It makes the offensive line depth chart interesting. This is a nice tidy pickup of a guy with a ton of talent but tons of issues also. Who would make way for him?. Boothe, Whimper, and Petrus, one of these could be gone unless they let Koets go and have De Ossie do all the snapping. I hope Boothe doesn't lose out as I thought he showed some last year when he came in.

Good question....Petrus seems like a very physical guy....would hate to see the cut him loose without knowing what his upside is.

Whimper....nothing against him, but not sure what his ceiling is....Koets?

Boothe tore his pec, didn't he? maybe he gets IR'd.

It's an interesting situation on the OL. Last year, they kept 10 OL on the 53 man roster. I think they will do the same this year. My prediction is: Diehl, Seubert, O'Hara, Snee, McKenzie, Beatty, Andrews, Whimper, Koets, Petrus. I think Boothe will start on PUP, and then they will make a decision on him after 6 weeks into the season, and see what the roster needs are at that time. This inspired me to start a 53 man roster prediction thread. I do think they have to keep Koets as insurance for O'Hara. I don't think they want DeOssie as a potential starter at center on the OL... that is not a desirable scenario at all.

Details Of Shawn Andrews' Contract With The Giants

Shawn Andrews' agent said earlier Friday his client's deal includes a "significant commitment" for the Giants in Year 2.

He wasn't kidding.

According to NFL Players' Association records, Andrews will earn only $1.5 million this upcoming season, if he's healthy, in the form of a $1.25-million base salary and a $250,000 signing bonus. The bonus is the only guaranteed money in the six-year contract. Andrews also has a split salary for this upcoming season that reduces the salary to $650,000 if he's not on the active roster (i.e. injured reserve).

Now, here's where the significant commitment comes in: Andrews can earn over $30 million over the next five years of the deal.

It begins with a roster bonus of $3.5 million due on the 30th day of the league year next year. That would be late March, providing everything works out with the collective bargaining agreement. Andrews' 2011 base salary would be $3 million. He's also scheduled to earn a workout bonus of $500,000. So that's $7 million for next season if all works out for Andrews.

The next four seasons of the deal, Andrews is scheduled to earn $4.5 million each year in base salary. He also has $500,000 workout bonuses and $1 million in roster bonuses. That's $6 million per season the rest of the way.

In all, $32.5 million over six years. But in reality, $1.5 million over one season - until Andrews earns that "significant commitment."

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2010/08/details_of_shawn_andrews_contr.html

good contract.

That's right....I forgot about that. If he tore his pec, he'd be the natural odd man out (or IR'd, as you suggest).

In dire straits, I suppose the Giants could play Boothe with a torn pec, but that would be garbage.

Good question....Petrus seems like a very physical guy....would hate to see the cut him loose without knowing what his upside is.

Whimper....nothing against him, but not sure what his ceiling is....Koets?

I think Boothe has a higher ceiling than Whimper. Koets was brought in to backup and snap, and cosndiering they made a big deal of the signing, he's not been up to much. Since we already waste a roster spot on Deossie, might as well expand his workload.

I think Boothe has a higher ceiling than Whimper. Koets was brought in to backup and snap, and cosndiering they made a big deal of the signing, he's not been up to much. Since we already waste a roster spot on Deossie, might as well expand his workload.

Thou shall not besmirch the legacy of Beach Ball the First by putting down the efforts of Beach Ball II. :laugh::05-mafia:

I agree with your assessment. He's only 27 years old. He's had some issues in the past, depression and back problems. Eagles' fans are going to ridicule the signing but he's replacing a career backup with a low ceiling. I'm sure he's probably only getting around the vet minimum, too. He's not being brought in to start, he's being brought in to be a backup. Nothing wrong with this at all.

if you played for the Eagles, you'd have a depression problem too.

Details Of Shawn Andrews' Contract With The Giants

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2010/08/details_of_shawn_andrews_contr.html

good contract.

Absolutely. I was listening to Mike Garofalo yesterday and he basically said it's a one-year flyer to see what they're going to do going into next year. O'Hara, Seubert, and Mc Kenzie are all on the wrong side of 30, so Andrews is a cheap developmental guy with a small risk and high reward (weird to think of him as 'developmental' being in the league for five years already, but it sort of is what he is). A healthy Andrews would make things easier for the Giants moving forward on the OL.

if you played for the Eagles, you'd have a depression problem too.

:LMAO:

Absolutely. I was listening to Mike Garofalo yesterday and he basically said it's a one-year flyer to see what they're going to do going into next year. O'Hara, Seubert, and Mc Kenzie are all on the wrong side of 30, so Andrews is a cheap developmental guy with a small risk and high reward (weird to think of him as 'developmental' being in the league for five years already, but it sort of is what he is). A healthy Andrews would make things easier for the Giants moving forward on the OL.

If he gets his act together and pans out, it will be a real stick in the eye to the Eagles.