SportsWrath

Haynesworth want to be traded to the Giants

NeMesiS

Ok, that was a lie. But he does want to be traded.

NFL.com

Haynesworth to skip minicamp, formally asks for trade

NFL.com Wire Reports

Washington Redskins defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth will skip the team's mandatory minicamp and has formally requested a trade, his agent, Chad Speck, told NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora.

"He is frustrated that he was not used last year the way he was promised he would be and now the current organization is not one he would have ever considered a year ago," Speck said.

The Washington Post was the first to report the story. Speck told the newspaper that Haynesworth "has made it clear to me that he does not want to play for the Washington Redskins."

The Redskins open their three-day mandatory minicamp on Wednesday.

Despite receiving one of the richest contracts ever for a defensive player when he signed a seven-year, $100 million contract that included $41 million guaranteed just a year ago, Haynesworth has not been happy with the team's new coaching staff and has boycotted all but one day of the team's offseason program.

Haynesworth, a defensive tackle who has played in a 4-3 defense throughout his career, has balked at playing in the Redskins' new 3-4 scheme and is adamant against manning the nose tackle position. When he signed with the Redskins last year, they played a 4-3 base defense, but under new coordinator Jim Haslett, the team is expected to institute more 3-4 packages.

Earlier Tuesday, Washington general manager Bruce Allen indicated Haynesworth would attend minicamp.

"He'll be here, and we're expecting him to be in good shape," said Allen.

The Associated Press contributed to this report

Dude's got mental problems. Does he think he's going to go to a team where he gets to decide what defense is run?

He complains about the way he was used last year in a 4-3 and now he's complaining that he doesn't want to play in a 3-4?

Well I guess he has a right to complain considering how little we paid him. Oh wait...

I wonder how much you can penalize a guy if he refuses to play? I suppose he could feign injury.

Dude's got mental problems. Does he think he's going to go to a team where he gets to decide what defense is run?

He complains about the way he was used last year in a 4-3 and now he's complaining that he doesn't want to play in a 3-4?

Well I guess he has a right to complain considering how little we paid him. Oh wait...

I wonder how much you can penalize a guy if he refuses to play? I suppose he could feign injury.

Could be looking at a "Keyshawn" situation.

How was he misused last year? He already needs every second snap off to catch his breath.

Apparently he wants to be the defensive coordinator. The entire defense is supposed to be geared around him increasing his sack total.

Can anyone explain why he was so dominant on the Titans? Maybe he got fat and lazy on a bad team with some fat sign on money. But the guy has talent.

So does Jeff Fisher....I think that might be the difference.

Can anyone explain why he was so dominant on the Titans? Maybe he got fat and lazy on a bad team with some fat sign on money. But the guy has talent.

It's called age and not wanting to learn how to play the game. If you look at his career stats in '08 in had a dominate season outside of that his stats are on par for a starting DT. Not to mention he has only been able to finish only one season his entire career and that was when he was a rookie. The guy is a fat fuck who refuses to hit the weight room or even bother to watch game film by all reports. He has cashed in on one dominate year in his entire career in '08 and a decent year in '07, outside of those two years he hasn't done much to establish himself as this "elite DT" that the reporters labeled him.

The guy is the definition of hype and cashed in big when the Titans defense was good, you put him on a shitty team and you expose him for what he is.

He has talent and when he played last year he actually did well. The reason Orakpo and Carter had so many sacks was partly due to the way Haynesworth played.

Of course Haynesworth doesn't like it because he wants to be the one making the sacks. Stuffing the run, taking up double teams and allowing DE's to make sacks is PLENTY valuable.

He just doesn't care about that though since he's not really interested in winning as much as he is in racking up his sack counts.

He's a deuche bag.

The Redskins were crappy last year but not because of the defense. We were ranked 10 in total defense and that's despite the fact that the offense was basically non-existent.

He has talent and when he played last year he actually did well. The reason Orakpo and Carter had so many sacks was partly due to the way Haynesworth played.

Of course Haynesworth doesn't like it because he wants to be the one making the sacks. Stuffing the run, taking up double teams and allowing DE's to make sacks is PLENTY valuable.

He just doesn't care about that though since he's not really interested in winning as much as he is in racking up his sack counts.

He's a deuche bag.

The Redskins were crappy last year but not because of the defense. We were ranked 10 in total defense and that's despite the fact that the offense was basically non-existent.

good breakdown, mikmak. thanks.

It's called age and not wanting to learn how to play the game. If you look at his career stats in '08 in had a dominate season outside of that his stats are on par for a starting DT. Not to mention he has only been able to finish only one season his entire career and that was when he was a rookie. The guy is a fat fuck who refuses to hit the weight room or even bother to watch game film by all reports. He has cashed in on one dominate year in his entire career in '08 and a decent year in '07, outside of those two years he hasn't done much to establish himself as this "elite DT" that the reporters labeled him.

The guy is the definition of hype and cashed in big when the Titans defense was good, you put him on a shitty team and you expose him for what he is.

exactly which confused me on why Washington give him so much to begin with, he is not in his prime anymore, and its not like there were either teams begging for his services, especially after learning his price tag, he is done, I say cut him take a cap hit, its your only option

He wants to get traded and I want his paycheck, life sure does suck. :rolleyes:

If what Shanahan says in this article is true (I believe it is) than Haynesworth is even more ridiculous than I thought.

Head coach Mike Shanahan said on Wednesday that he was "very disappointed" that defensive lineman Albert Haynesworth has opted not to attend this week’s mandatory mini-camp at Redskins Park.

Shanahan addressed Haynesworth’s absence at length during a post-practice media session.

Said Shanahan: "When I first talked with Albert back in February, and got a good feel on how he felt, and sat down and talked with his agent, we let Albert know at that time that we would give him until April 1 to go to any team he wanted to in the National Football League.

"So if he wasn’t pleased about playing nose tackle or any other position we had planned for him, then we would let him take a look at any team he wanted to go to.

"But on April 1, when we owed him a check for $21 million dollars, we said, ’If you take that check, we do expect you to be the best defensive end, the best nose tackle--if we play you at free safety, we expect you to be the best free safety,’ even though he’d have to lose a little weight.

"Whatever position we play him at, he would have to do the best job he possibly could and make a commitment to be the best football player.

"Obviously he took the check. So I was surprised he wasn’t here [at mini-camp], because I thought he did make that commitment once he took that check, that he wanted to be a Washington Redskin and he wanted to do the best thing for the Washington Redskins to help our defense and help our team win.

"Obviously it didn’t go in that direction. So we’re quite disappointed with him."

Where do the Redskins go from here with Haynesworth?

“Exactly where we started from," Shanahan replied. "Albert hasn’t been here. He hasn’t been a part of this football team. We’ve been doing very, very well as a football team. Guys are working extremely hard. I’m not going to get into specifics of what our game plan is [regarding Haynesworth]."

Haynesworth joined the Redskins on Feb. 27, 2009, signing a lucrative contract that made him one of the highest-paid defensive linemen in the NFL. He played in 12 games last season and posted 56 tackles and four sacks.

When Shanahan took over as Redskins head coach last January, he hired Jim Haslett to install the 3-4 defense.

That meant Haynesworth would be asked to play nose tackle, a physically demanding position.

Haynesworth balked.

Said Shanahan: “All of our players play multiple positions. If you are a defensive end, you have to play nose tackle. You have to do what is best for our football team...Albert hasn’t been here. He has no idea what type of scheme we’re running. All he envisions is a typical nose tackle."

Shanahan was asked if the Haynesworth situation would be like a cloud hanging over the team until it’s resolved.

"The thing is, [the Haynesworth story] is not a cloud," he replied. "It’s not a distraction because he hasn’t been here. That’s the interesting part. The only distraction I have is answering these questions. But he has not been a distraction to me or to our football team because he hasn’t been here."

"But on April 1, when we owed him a check for $21 million dollars, we said, ’If you take that check, we do expect you to be the best defensive end, the best nose tackle--if we play you at free safety, we expect you to be the best free safety,’ even though he’d have to lose a little weight.

i don't understand- should he not have taken the check? it says the money was owed. i'm not sure of shanahan's strategy here. then again, never was sure of shanahan's strategy.

i don't know about that. that's a pretty shitty team he played for with poor management. i'd reserve judgement- i agree with him that he needs a change of scenery.

boy blu I am glad you don't run the Giants, Ryan Leaf would be our QB, with Marshawn Lynch and Lendale White in the backfield, receivers being Brandon Marshall and Terrell Owens, On D we would have Haynesworth,Jason Taylor and Adam Jones , and Pete Carroll would be our coach letting them do whatever they want :P you have a propensity for troubled (whining) athletes.

boy blu I am glad you don't run the Giants, Ryan Leaf would be our QB, with Marshawn Lynch and Lendale White in the backfield, receivers being Brandon Marshall and Terrell Owens, On D we would have Haynesworth,Jason Taylor and Adam Jones , and Pete Carroll would be our coach letting them do whatever they want :P you have a propensity for troubled (whining) athletes.

and you would be in charge of the draft. thumbsup.gif

the leaf thing is a reach. i don't mess with QB's. they need to be solid. otherwise i'm ok with your selections, 25.