SportsWrath

Tyree May Call It A Day Soon

Mr. P

david-tyree-catch.jpg

An old familiar face made a surprise appearance at Giants camp on Friday.

Super Bowl 42 hero David Tyree arrived after the Giants offseason training activity began on Friday morning and it wasn’t long before the Giants’ former wide receiver and special teams standout was hugging head coach Tom Coughlin.

Tyree, 30, is currently a free agent. While he holds out hope that he will find a new team this summer, the man who made one of the most unforgettable catches in Super Bowl history realizes this could be the end of his seven-year career.

“I’m not one of those guys looking to come in Week 5,” Tyree said of hanging around for a shot with another team. “We have had talks (with other teams) but nothing has come through. I am not really hung up on it at this point in my career. It has been a tremendous ride if it is over. I am here today to see the faces that mean a lot to me, that’s all.”

After talking with Coughlin, Tyree chatted with other assistants before going to the Giants locker room to see some former teammates. Tyree still looks in shape but he says he isn’t in Pro Bowl shape or fit enough to make a spectacular grab with the aid of his helmet like the one he made from on that last drive that set up Plaxico Burress’ Super Bowl-winning catch against the Patriots.

Tyree and Burress still remain close. Tyree, who played last season for the Ravens largely as a special teams player, wore 17 for the Ravens in honor of Burress. Tyree said he has visited Burress a couple of times in a New York state prison and reports that the former Giants star is doing well.

“I miss my friend Plaxico,” Tyree said. “I am an example of somebody that could have been right there with him. It obviously boils down to the choices that we make. I wanted the world to know it was an honor to be back on the field and an honor to let the world know that I love him and grateful for the opportunity that we have all been given and we just got to cherish.”

Tyree said that if his career is over, he may try his hand as a member of the media to go along with his ministry work. One thing is certain -- when he does retire, it will be as a New York Giant.

“At the end of the day I am a Giant,” said Tyree, who celebrated the birth of his fifth child on Sunday. “My greatest moments have been here, my greatest memories are here. That is why I am here today.”

“It is very likely I could shut it down and I won’t have any qualms about it. Like I said two years ago, I had to be happy (if it was over). It’s been a crazy ride.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/giants/post/_/id/491/tyree-may-call-it-a-day-soon

Obviously the Giants staff knows more than any of us, but in this age of holdouts and 'me, me, me', it's a downright shame we let Tyree go and Moss stay. I'd rather have an injured Tyree than a healthy Moss.

Obviously the Giants staff knows more than any of us, but in this age of holdouts and 'me, me, me', it's a downright shame we let Tyree go and Moss stay. I'd rather have an injured Tyree than a healthy Moss.

You won't find many people who can argue this point.

letting Tyree go put a curse on our team, and his sterling special teams play and clutch late game catches are sorely missed

Philadelphia will suffer a worse curse now.....bad

Aside from the helmet catch, what "clutch late game catches" did he make?

Entertain me....

sorry I'm not your personal research dept.........you should have watched a few Giants games in 2007, 2008

David Tyree.

2007. Four receptions for 35 yards

2008. On IR.

Tyree was super clutch with those four receptions, I say we sign him back ASAP its obvious our passing game cant survive without him.

Tyree is definitely a sentimental favorite....and he was an excellent special teams player as well.

While I can understand that the Giants want the best players on the field, I can't understand Tyree not making the cut over an { } like Moss.

Tyree is definitely a sentimental favorite....and he was an excellent special teams player as well.

While I can understand that the Giants want the best players on the field, I can't understand Tyree not making the cut over an { } like Moss.

I think it has more to do with the fact that he had a season ending injury in '08 plus is 30 years old. I mean in his one year with the Ravens he only started 10 games and in those 10 games registered only 5 tackles. I'm not saying Moss is any better in fact he is worse but in all honesty Tyree is just not in football shape anymore, the Giants noticed it and so did the Ravens who had basically no WRs in '09 so Tyree had a chance.