SportsWrath

Jim Sorgi is a NY Giant

Mr. P

030910jpg-54a3359aedbf38fc_large.jpg

Jim Sorgi's agent didn't expect a deal on Monday but was hopeful it would come soon.

It did. On Tuesday, Sorgi got his contract.

The Giants signed Sorgi to a one-year deal after their doctors conversed with some other physicians who have examined Sorgi's shoulder. Obviously, they got the answers they were looking for and the ones Sorgi's agent said he was hoping to provide.

"The team doctor talked to (noted orthopedic surgeon) Dr. (James) Andrews. He has a history with Jim," Sorgi's agent, Matt Brei, said by phone. "It was a matter of everybody getting comfortable, so we got the doctors in contact and everything was cleared. That's where a little bit of the holdup was."

After six seasons as Peyton Manning's backup, Sorgi now has the inside track to back up Eli Manning. Sorgi will receive competition from Rhett Bomar, last year's fifth-round pick, in training camp.

As of Monday afternoon, it wasn't clear if Sorgi would get that chance. Brei indicated the sides would remain in contact, which is often a phrase thrown out by agents to make it seem there's more interest in their clients than there actually is. But give Brei points for his honesty because he said he was still hopeful for a deal and that he was simply trying to provide more information for the Giants' medical staff to make that deal happen.

"(Sorgi) cleared everything physically (with the Giants); it was just clearing up what happened last year and talking through it," Brei said. "He didn't fail any physical or anything like that."

Obviously not because Sorgi is now a Giant and Brei said he's "very excited" about that development.

The Giants will have quotes from Sorgi shortly in a press release.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2010/03/ny_giants_sign_quarterback_jim.html

EAST RUTHERFORD - The Giants today signed quarterback Jim Sorgi to compete with second-year man Rhett Bomar for the job of backing up Eli Manning.

Sorgi, 6-5 and 196 pounds, has spent his entire six-year NFL career as Peyton Manning's backup with the Indianapolis Colts. He originally entered the NFL as the Colts' second of two picks in the sixth round (193rd overall) of the 2004 NFL Draft. He has appeared in 16 games with no starts and completed 99 passes on 156 attempts for 929 yards with six touchdowns, one interception and a career QB rating of 89.9.

The signing of Sorgi comes a day after it was reported free agent David Carr has agreed to terms with the San Francisco 49ers. Carr had been Eli Manning's backup for the last two seasons. Bomar, who spent 16 weeks on the practice squad before being signed to the 53-man roster just prior to the '09 season finale, is the only other quarterback currently on the Giants roster.

Sorgi is looking forward to working with his second Super Bowl MVP from the Manning family

"Both are elite players," said Sorgi. "I had a great time working with Peyton, and I learned a lot, obviously. The experience was invaluable as far as my development as a professional. I hate to see my time in Indianapolis come to an end, but I am as excited about working with Eli as I am sad about leaving Peyton, and I look forward to working with Eli and helping him any way I can. I have been fortunate to work with Peyton, who has one of the greatest minds in the game."

In 2009, Sorgi appeared in only one game as a reserve at St. Louis (10/25) and did not attempt a pass before being placed on injured reserve on December 9 with tendonitis in his shoulder.

Sorgi arrived in East Rutherford yesterday morning and went through a workout for the team before meeting with head coach Tom Coughlin and the offensive coaches prior to undergoing a physical exam.

"I thought my workout was excellent and my shoulder felt great," said Sorgi. "I just need to continue to work on maintenance with it, but I want to be a player the Giants can count on to get the job done if need be. I am excited to be here."

Added Coughlin, "Jim demonstrated in the meeting room with our coaches that he is very sharp and a very good student of the game, which you would expect after spending six years backing up Peyton. He is used to spending the amount of time that is necessary in preparation. He was involved in the study and preparation and everything that Peyton does, so he will be outstanding in the meeting room with Eli."

Sorgi appeared in a career-high five games as a reserve in 2005 and posted career-best totals with 42 completions on 61 attempts for 444 yards, three touchdowns and one interception for a 99.4 rating. Sorgi's career long completion is a 71-yard touchdown pass to Reggie Wayne as a rookie in 2004.

A one-year starter at Wisconsin, Sorgi appeared in 32 games with 17 starts and finished his career with 288 completions on 519 attempts for 4, 498 and 33 touchdowns. He was the school's career leader in passing efficiency and holds the school record for longest pass play (99t, Lee Evans against Akron) and started 12 games as senior.

James Joseph Sorgi, Jr was born in Fraser, Mich. and attended Fraser High School. He was the Detroit News "Dream Team" quarterback and was first-team all-state, all-county and all-league in 1998. He set 17 school passing records and completed 92 passed on 149 attempts for 1,763 yards and 19 TDs as senior. Sorgi and his wife, Lana, have two sons, James III and Jackson.

http://www.giants.com/news/headlines/story.asp?story_id=43980

I was hoping for Delhomme or Garcia, guys who have played and would be good veteran ears and eyes for Eli. Figure we're not winning many games without Eli, anyway so why not have the backup be a good counselor?

Ugh backup quarterbacks...

About as useless as any US VP, waste of roster spot until your starter goes down. They shouldn't even take up a roster spot! Its not like he can fill in at another position. They can't tackle, barely run, might be able to catch and definitely can't take a hit.

Ugh backup quarterbacks...

About as useless as any US VP, waste of roster spot until your starter goes down. They shouldn't even take up a roster spot! Its not like he can fill in at another position. They can't tackle, barely run, might be able to catch and definitely can't take a hit.

Holder

I hope I'm wrong, but there's a lot of experienced guys available and we pick up a guy who barely played and when he did play, didn't play very well. I think the Giants clearly want Bomar to be the #2 guy.

Actually, in mop up duty, because Peyton is an iron-man, Sorgi did quite well.

Sorgi was definitely the best option out there. You would really rather have 40 year old Jeff Garcia to step in if Eli goes down for the season?

Sorgi was definitely the best option out there. You would really rather have 40 year old Jeff Garcia to step in if Eli goes down for the season?

You have to be kidding about Sorgi being the best quarterback/option available. David Carr was better than Sorgi, he left because he wanted a chance at starter. And if Sorgi was the best available option, why isn't this guy trying to get on a team and battle for a starting job on some other team. Coming to the Giants, he knows full well the situation, he's holding a clipboard again. He's probably a good guy on the sideline and should have picked up something from Peyton.

I would take Garcia absolutely as a backup. Delhomme is out there, Derek Anderson is out there, Brunell. There are experienced guys out there who could take the backup job here.

You have to be kidding about Sorgi being the best quarterback/option available. David Carr was better than Sorgi, he left because he wanted a chance at starter. And if Sorgi was the best available option, why isn't this guy trying to get on a team and battle for a starting job on some other team. Coming to the Giants, he knows full well the situation, he's holding a clipboard again. He's probably a good guy on the sideline and should have picked up something from Peyton.

I would take Garcia absolutely as a backup. Delhomme is out there, Derek Anderson is out there, Brunell. There are experienced guys out there who could take the backup job here.

That would make David Carr not available if he signed elsewhere...

The dude's a 6th round pick who doesn't cost anything, played great when given the opportunities, and learned behind the best QB I have ever lived to see play for many years. He knows what he is, some QBs are career backups. Don't have to break the bank or wait around for some better ex-starter to become available again. Jim Sorgi is a good, young, backup.

Brunell, Garcia, and Delhomme all don't have arms anymore. Same with Chad Pennington, who never had one. Derek Anderson lost his job to BRADY fucking QUINN.

And something Blunatic said: "agreed. the skill level of the #1 increases the skill level of the back up exponentially. in other words, i'd rather have peyton's back up than jp losman's back up.

why did the colts choose not to sign him?"

Personally, I'd rather not have Matt Moore's backup, Brady Quinn's backup, or 40+ year old, armless quarterbacks.

I'm actually much more comfortable with this guy than I was with Carr. Good luck to Carr I wish him success.

That would make David Carr not available if he signed elsewhere...

The dude's a 6th round pick who doesn't cost anything, played great when given the opportunities, and learned behind the best QB I have ever lived to see play for many years. He knows what he is, some QBs are career backups. Don't have to break the bank or wait around for some better ex-starter to become available again. Jim Sorgi is a good, young, backup.

Brunell, Garcia, and Delhomme all don't have arms anymore. Same with Chad Pennington, who never had one. Derek Anderson lost his job to BRADY fucking QUINN.

And something Blunatic said: "agreed. the skill level of the #1 increases the skill level of the back up exponentially. in other words, i'd rather have peyton's back up than jp losman's back up.

why did the colts choose not to sign him?"

Personally, I'd rather not have Matt Moore's backup, Brady Quinn's backup, or 40+ year old, armless quarterbacks.

My point about Carr is that he would have been the better option over Sorgi if he had interest in staying, he didn't. Seriously do you think that if David Carr expressed a desire to stay we are even talking about Jim Sorgi, that's my point.

Delhomme would have been the starter for the Panthers if he hadn't broke his finger. Matt Moore took his chance when he got it, good for him, but Delhomme wasn't his backup.

And Pennington's weak arm has managed to get him the starting job in Miami, and again he was starter last year till he got hurt. Miami just gave him $2.5 million and he gets another million plus in bonus if they trade him. If Pennington was available, I'd absolutely pick him over Sorgi, and I'm aware of his arm problems.

Brunell and Anderson, regardless of their past, have solid experience in this league. Sorgi has none, so yes I'd go with experience over lack of.

And if Sorgi is all that, then why isn't he a Colt?

I'm actually much more comfortable with this guy than I was with Carr. Good luck to Carr I wish him success.

Why?. Seriously, what did Carr do wrong while he was here?. He was solid enough. You're just pissed they didn't go get Fat Lorenzen back from AFL2.

My point about Carr is that he would have been the better option over Sorgi if he had interest in staying, he didn't. Seriously do you think that if David Carr expressed a desire to stay we are even talking about Jim Sorgi, that's my point.

Delhomme would have been the starter for the Panthers if he hadn't broke his finger. Matt Moore took his chance when he got it, good for him, but Delhomme wasn't his backup.

And Pennington's weak arm has managed to get him the starting job in Miami, and again he was starter last year till he got hurt. Miami just gave him $2.5 million and he gets another million plus in bonus if they trade him. If Pennington was available, I'd absolutely pick him over Sorgi, and I'm aware of his arm problems.

Brunell and Anderson, regardless of their past, have solid experience in this league. Sorgi has none, so yes I'd go with experience over lack of.

And if Sorgi is all that, then why isn't he a Colt?

That point is kind of irrelevant, though...Carr wanted to start, we needed a new backup, we got one who has backed up the best in the game and has very solid numbers in the mop up he has seen...The Colts wouldn't have kept him around so long if they didn't think he was a good backup. They really only released him because of his questionable shoulder.

Delhomme turned into his backup. Delhomme was largely ineffective the entire season, when he broke his finger, it was just the motivation John Fox needed to finally replace him. If they hadn't released him, he'd be backing up Matt Moore.

Sorgi has been in the league for 6 years. He has experience. Again, he's behind an iron-man, and now another iron-man.

How many backups can you think of that spent 6 years backing up the best in the business? 6 years on the same team, even?

Since when is years of starting experience a requirement for backups? David Carr spoiled you.

To be fair, Anderson just got cut like 2 days ago. Surprisingly after Cleveland picks up Seneca Wallace. Seneca Wallace??? But yeah, if we had held off on a backup I'd be happy with Anderson.

Del-Homie is not......not.....going to take a backup role. Anywhere.

I agree with you on Sorgi not being the best out there. Come week 8 he might have been. Yeah sure he may have picked up a shitload of knowledge from Peyton, but the dude never had to play. And apparently when he did, he hurt his shoulder.

Oh well, the dudes paid to make these decisions must know more than us fans. Just ask Trey Jenkin.

Why?. Seriously, what did Carr do wrong while he was here?. He was solid enough. You're just pissed they didn't go get Fat Lorenzen back from AFL2.

The man wants to start.

A better question, of all the playing time David Carr got while he was here (minuscule), what are YOU basing YOUR opinion on? The 12 attempts in 08? The 24in 09?

Because if seeing performance on the field during a regular season in starting duty is a requisite for a good backup QB, you're narrowing your pool to 40+ and guys that have been replaced by equally bad QBs or slightly better QBs (Delhomme, Derek Anderson, Jeff Garcia, Todd Collins (LMAO), etc, etc)

The guy isn't even going to see the field, I don't get why you want a FORMER "starting quality" quarterback in there when we just picked up the best QB in the league's strong armed backup.

That point is kind of irrelevant, though...Carr wanted to start, we needed a new backup, we got one who has backed up the best in the game and has very solid numbers in the mop up he has seen...The Colts wouldn't have kept him around so long if they didn't think he was a good backup. They really only released him because of his questionable shoulder.

Delhomme turned into his backup. Delhomme was largely ineffective the entire season, when he broke his finger, it was just the motivation John Fox needed to finally replace him. If they hadn't released him, he'd be backing up Matt Moore.

Sorgi has been in the league for 6 years. He has experience. Again, he's behind an iron-man, and now another iron-man.

How many backups can you think of that spent 6 years backing up the best in the business? 6 years on the same team, even?

Since when is years of starting experience a requirement for backups? David Carr spoiled you.

Fox had to replace Delhomme, he was on IR.

If you can get a guy with exeperience to backup and he's willing to accept his role, you should take him over a guy who has barely played in 6 years. Simple as that.