SportsWrath

Jim Sorgi is a NY Giant

Mr. P

Because if seeing performance on the field during a regular season in starting duty is a requisite for a good backup QB, you're narrowing your pool to 40+ and guys that have been replaced by equally bad QBs or slightly better QBs (Delhomme, Derek Anderson, Jeff Garcia, Todd Collins (LMAO), etc, etc)

The guy isn't even going to see the field, I don't get why you want a FORMER "starting quality" quarterback in there when we just picked up the best QB in the league's strong armed backup.

That's the problem Storm, you're thinking he's fine for standing on the sideline. This is football, he needs to be ready to take the field at any time.

Why did the Giants turn to Sorgi?

Once the New York Giants determined that former Colts quarterback Jim Sorgi's injured shoulder was healing nicely, they signed him to a one-year contract. He seems like the perfect fit because he offers insurance for the Giants while they try to bring along second-year quarterback Rhett Bomar.

Sorgi's probably resigned himself to being a backup in the league, but that's not a bad thing. I don't think you want to bring a high-strung guy like Jeff Garcia into a daily meeting room with the laid-back Eli Manning. Sorgi's served as Peyton Manning's understudy for six seasons, so there are no surprises here. If Peyton didn't have a great opinion of Sorgi, there's no way he'd be with the Giants this afternoon.

My biggest concern would be that Sorgi always seems to get banged up in the preseason, which is pretty much the only time he plays. Obviously, the Giants are hoping they never have to turn to Sorgi during the regular season, and given Eli's ability to play through pain, there's a good chance that will happen.

Giants general manager Jerry Reese and coach Tom Coughlin love creating competition in training camp and I bet they're hoping Bomar and Sorgi feed off each other.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/11861/why-did-the-giants-turn-to-sorgi

Why?. Seriously, what did Carr do wrong while he was here?. He was solid enough. You're just pissed they didn't go get Fat Lorenzen back from AFL2.

The calm demeanor of Eli in the pocket vs the nervous feet of Carr is why.

Fox had to replace Delhomme, he was on IR.

I think it was the other way around; he had to IR him to save face when he should have benched him early in the season. The guy never came back from his last shoulder surgery. He was just horrible. I'd be mortified if we signed him.

Fox had to replace Delhomme, he was on IR.

If you can get a guy with exeperience to backup and he's willing to accept his role, you should take him over a guy who has barely played in 6 years. Simple as that.

He played 11 games ineffectively. Delhomme was the WORST option for a backup out there. Did you see him play last year? I have no doubt that even the Giants would have beat the Panthers last year if Delhomme was starting.

That's the problem Storm, you're thinking he's fine for standing on the sideline. This is football, he needs to be ready to take the field at any time.

What does that even mean? That after 6 years of professional football that Sorgi wouldn't be ready to take the field?

You're the guy making the comment that he's not even going to see the field.

Tell me, booyah, what is in YOUR job description of a BACKUP QB? Mine is:

1. Run the practice/scout team.

2. Hold the clipboard and communicate with the starter on gameday. Two heads are better than one.

3. Be READY to step on the field in case the starter goes down.

4. MANAGE the game IF the starter goes down until the starter can come back.

No where in there is 10 years (closer to 20 for guys like Brunell and Garcia) of wear and tear on an arm or any time as a starting QB a requirement.

My comment had more to do with the fact that Eli rarely leaves a game injured. As shown by David Carr's whopping 36 attempts as the Giant's backup.

Tell me, booyah, what is in YOUR job description of a BACKUP QB? Mine is:

1. Run the practice/scout team.

2. Hold the clipboard and communicate with the starter on gameday. Two heads are better than one.

3. Be READY to step on the field in case the starter goes down.

4. MANAGE the game IF the starter goes down until the starter can come back.

No where in there is 10 years (closer to 20 for guys like Brunell and Garcia) of wear and tear on an arm or any time as a starting QB a requirement.

My comment had more to do with the fact that Eli rarely leaves a game injured. As shown by David Carr's whopping 36 attempts as the Giant's backup.

Real simple. A guy who can step for the starting quarterback should he get hurt and to be able to run the offense as effectively as possible when in. The more experienced the better and the fact that eli hasn't suffered serious injury up to now has no bearing on the fact he won't get hurt in the future.

Real simple. A guy who can step for the starting quarterback should he get hurt and to be able to run the offense as effectively as possible when in. The more experienced the better and the fact that eli hasn't suffered serious injury up to now has no bearing on the fact he won't get hurt in the future.

He's obviously a terrible quarterback to keep the backup job of the best QB in the game for 6 years.

He's obviously a terrible quarterback to keep the backup job of the best QB in the game for 6 years.

No what is obvious is that he hasn't had much playing time whereas the guys I mentioned have.if peyton manning is the best quarterback in the last 6 years then guys like drew brees, tom brady etc would have been his backup also if they were on the same squad so I don't know why you bringing that point up.simply put, I want a guy in here with playing experience and I named some guys out there that are free right now, there will be more coming.

No what is obvious is that he hasn't had much playing time whereas the guys I mentioned have.if peyton manning is the best quarterback in the last 6 years then guys like drew brees, tom brady etc would have been his backup also if they were on the same squad so I don't know why you bringing that point up.simply put, I want a guy in here with playing experience and I named some guys out there that are free right now, there will be more coming.

I have no idea what the hell you're talking about. You aren't making any sense, now. Why would Drew Brees and Tom Brady be on the same team as Peyton Manning?

I want someone who has an arm. Period.

Not someone who should have been benched behind Matt Moore at the start of 2009. Not Jeff Garcia who hasn't had an attempt since midway through 2008 with the Bucs (following this,he was also CUT by the Raiders and only picked up by the Eagles when Mcnabb went down with a broken rib and Vick was still on suspension, subsequently, he was released as soon as soon as Vick returned). And I forget who else you think is better backup than Jim Sorgi, but let me know, and I'll rip those choices apart, too.

Oh, Derek Anderson, lost his job to the mighty Brady Quinn, lmao.

Mark Brunell, aside from the 1 and only loss in which he played absolutely terrible that he had with the Saints in 09, he also hadn't thrown a pass since 2006.

I have no idea what the hell you're talking about. You aren't making any sense, now. Why would Drew Brees and Tom Brady be on the same team as Peyton Manning?

I want someone who has an arm. Period.

Not someone who should have been benched behind Matt Moore at the start of 2009. Not Jeff Garcia who hasn't had an attempt since midway through 2008 with the Bucs (following this,he was also CUT by the Raiders and only picked up by the Eagles when Mcnabb went down with a broken rib and Vick was still on suspension, subsequently, he was released as soon as soon as Vick returned). And I forget who else you think is better backup than Jim Sorgi, but let me know, and I'll rip those choices apart, too.

Storm, you're getting very tired with your bullshit" I don't know what you're talking about" nonsense as some way to try and make the other person sound stupid. All while clearly not paying attention to what was said. . Now pay attention:

If Peyton Manning is the best QB in the league, and for some strange chance either Tom Brady or Drew Brees were on the same team, then as good as they are, they would be Peyton Mannings backup.

by chance!. It's pretty obvious they won't be in reality.

Which is why I'm saying your point that Jim Sorgi is somewhat impressive because he has been Peyton Mannings backup is not a good point. In fact you are putting down all my choices, but most of my picks have had careers, decent careers. Jim Sorgi's career is mop up duty.

If Moore was better than Delhomme at the beginning of the season, he would have been the starter. Fox wouldn't put the worst qb out there in a season where the Panthers would be considered a contender. Granted Delhomme didn't play well overall, but if he doesn't break his finger, moore wouldn't see the field.

I'm sure the Eagles had to get Garcia because Jim Sorgi was on injured reserve, they must have been pissed.

The Browns were clearly going to go to Brady Quinn once Anderson had a bad run. everyone and their mother knew that was going to happen. That's why they drafted himm in the 1st round. Once they gave him the job, they couldn't turn back to Anderson full time. And sure as shit, Anderson has been cut. None of this means he can't be a decent backup.

A quarterback you can rip apart.........okay Todd Collins. tear into it.

Now let me blow your mind here Storm, I don't like the idea of siging Sorgi, but he's here and that's it. I hope he holds the fuck out of that clipboard and wears the shit out of those headphones like no other backup quarterback has ever done and if he does play, that we run the ball real well. That way, I know his career as a Giant was a good one and I'll be proud of Jim.

But forgive me if I cringe if Eli goes down and Sorgi trots out onto the field to face the Eagles and Boys pass rush.

Storm, you're getting very tired with your bullshit" I don't know what you're talking about" nonsense as some way to try and make the other person sound stupid. All while clearly not paying attention to what was said. . Now pay attention:

If Peyton Manning is the best QB in the league, and for some strange chance either Tom Brady or Drew Brees were on the same team, then as good as they are, they would be Peyton Mannings backup.

by chance!. It's pretty obvious they won't be in reality.

Which is why I'm saying your point that Jim Sorgi is somewhat impressive because he has been Peyton Mannings backup is not a good point. In fact you are putting down all my choices, but most of my picks have had careers, decent careers. Jim Sorgi's career is mop up duty.

If Moore was better than Delhomme at the beginning of the season, he would have been the starter. Fox wouldn't put the worst qb out there in a season where the Panthers would be considered a contender. Granted Delhomme didn't play well overall, but if he doesn't break his finger, moore wouldn't see the field.

I'm sure the Eagles had to get Garcia because Jim Sorgi was on injured reserve, they must have been pissed.

The Browns were clearly going to go to Brady Quinn once Anderson had a bad run. everyone and their mother knew that was going to happen. That's why they drafted himm in the 1st round. Once they gave him the job, they couldn't turn back to Anderson full time. And sure as shit, Anderson has been cut. None of this means he can't be a decent backup.

A quarterback you can rip apart.........okay Todd Collins. tear into it.

Now let me blow your mind here Storm, I don't like the idea of siging Sorgi, but he's here and that's it. I hope he holds the fuck out of that clipboard and wears the shit out of those headphones like no other backup quarterback has ever done and if he does play, that we run the ball real well. That way, I know his career as a Giant was a good one and I'll be proud of Jim.

But forgive me if I cringe if Eli goes down and Sorgi trots out onto the field to face the Eagles and Boys pass rush.

Dude, what in the flying fuck does that have to do with ANYTHING?

Do you understand that the Panthers started playing well and hell, beat us and the Saints, after garbage Delhomme was out of the picture? I'd get you the record under him vs. Moore, but I've wasted enough time proving things empirically with you.

Keep spouting your stupid horse shit about wanting washed up vets to back up Eli. I'll stick with Sorgi's better arm and my original point (and others) that Sorgi has 6 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE LEARNING BEHIND THE BEST IN THE GAME, which has absolutely nothing to do with Tom Brady, Drew Brees, or even flipping Dan Marino. What don't you get? Backing up the best in the game makes you that much better, regardless if you see the field, or have had a "career".

Have you seen the Browns under Brady Quinn? Have you seen Brady Quinn play? He's slightly better than Derek Anderson, but if Anderson was any good and didn't suddenly suck, he'd still be the starter, that's how bad Brady Quinn has been for the Browns.

Keep ignoring the facts I've presented to you in the last 15 posts that Sorgi has a better arm, has played well when iron-man Manning gets a 30 point lead, and Peyton swears by him.

The Eagles got Garcia because Mcnabb went down with a rib injury and Vick wasn't back, I told you this. Sorgi was ummm, backing up Peyton considering he didn't go down with the injury till December.

And finally, Derek Anderson is out because they owed him a roster bonus and he sucks. Brady Quinn sucks less, but as the Browns showed, they definitely weren't "handing" the job to Quinn simply because he was picked in the first round. Cleveland saw a revolving door between those two for years!

Todd Collins is retired.

Why you would not want the backup with the most upside (he's actually been very good in preseason and in his mop up duty), the most likely to be our backup for several years, and the one with the strongest arm compared to all these ex-starters-come-scrubs, is beyond me.

Oh dear God there will be Hell to pay if Eli goes down in week 2 and Sorgi is the 2nd coming of Peyton Manning.

I'd rather have a 'seasoned vet' as a backup as well, if for no other reason than experience. It seems to me, while Sorgi has been in the league for 6 years, he hasn't seen much playing time. How can he be experienced enough to read defenses? Not his own practice squad's defense, but a real, honest to God "I'm-coming-down-the-pipe-to-kill-you" defense. He could have a cannon of an arm, but what good will it do if he's on his ass? I'm not saying that will happen, but logic tells me if he spent 6 years on the bench, he probably hasn't seen many defensive lineman plowing through the line. None of the vet names out there are impressive, but at least they've got playing time under their belts.

In reality it doesn't really matter much who is backup. They're not competing for a starting slot in NY, all they have to do is practice and manage a game in an emergency. With Eli's start streak, my Grandmother could be backup and she's been dead for 22 years.

Oh dear God there will be Hell to pay if Eli goes down in week 2 and Sorgi is the 2nd coming of Peyton Manning.

I'd rather have a 'seasoned vet' as a backup as well, if for no other reason than experience. It seems to me, while Sorgi has been in the league for 6 years, he hasn't seen much playing time. How can he be experienced enough to read defenses? Not his own practice squad's defense, but a real, honest to God "I'm-coming-down-the-pipe-to-kill-you" defense. He could have a cannon of an arm, but what good will it do if he's on his ass? I'm not saying that will happen, but logic tells me if he spent 6 years on the bench, he probably hasn't seen many defensive lineman plowing through the line. None of the vet names out there are impressive, but at least they've got playing time under their belts.

In reality it doesn't really matter much who is backup. They're not competing for a starting slot in NY, all they have to do is practice and manage a game in an emergency. With Eli's start streak, my Grandmother could be backup and she's been dead for 22 years.

Who is the backup qb in indy now that forced sorgi out? He has got to be awesome!

You need to be careful here rik because if you use any logic with storm you are stupid.

I hope we get the guy who hands peyton his gatorade coming off the field.

Oh and if eli goes down and sorgi does what you say, then fucking fantastic.does anybody here really give a shit about being right or wrong as long as we win. Oh hold on.....

Anderson would have been a good backup (better than Sorgi). The Browns were going to blow period last season considering they traded their only 2 good offensive players. Anyway I concur as I think a vet QB are really the way to go as backups. Even if they have some injuries they will have plenty of time to rest and heal on the bench.

Who is the backup qb in indy now that forced sorgi out? He has got to be awesome!

You need to be careful here rik because if you use any logic with storm you are stupid.

I already know I'm stupid, it has nothing to do with Storm.

if the choice is between having a guy that has had chances and proves he sucks as opposed to having a guy who hasn't had the chance yet, i probably would take the latter.

I think that depends on the level of suckage. Was the vet cut because of injury, shitty line, bad recievers, etc. or did he just flat out suck. Carr is a perfect example of a talented QB who appeared to suck, but in reality played behind a horrible line. Actually, after the thrashing he took in Houston I'm surprised he didn't just invest his Texan's money and get out of football altogether. Now, somebody wants him, possibly to start or at least compete for a start.

Personally, I'd have rather kept Carr but seeing as that's not an option, I would have been OK with Anderson. He's got experience, he showed (in '07) he could play, and he's still young. Sorgi's young, he's got an arm, and he has studied with Peyton....not a bad signing either. It's not like he was signed to replace Eli. Hell, maybe he could give Eli some of the crib notes he took while with Peyton.