SportsWrath

Bill Cowher

Balloonknot

Yeah man....Cheerleader is the type you have to kick out of the door. He is like that cousin who comes over for a family gathering and everyone has left so you can scratch your ass....next thing you know you walk into your living room and the motherfucker is sitting right there switching channels on your TV. Now me I have no problem with telling someone who has worn out their welcome to "get the fuck out"; but Giants Ownership/Management is big on this loyalty shit. I just wish the Tisch side of things ( the ones with the billion in the kitty) would pitch a bitch and say we have one the cornerstone franchises give me a fucking break... I/We will not accept mediocrity. I would even go for Shannahan. But the chances of this happening is between slim and none.

I like Coughlin too. But the difference is Cohwer's teams always fought. Winning a Superbowl is Hard. It takes a lot of work and luck. But to have a team play listless for half a season as we have and we saw some of that last year too. I don't recall ever seeing a Cohwer team just quit like that. They may have been overmatched but they always fought.

I don't see anything wrong with Coughlin. He's a pretty damn good coach.

I concur. I want Coughlin back with a good DC by his side. Sheridan is the problem... he is BRUTALLY bad.

Think of how we felt about the Giants with Coughlin/Lewis. Now think about how we felt about them with Coughlin/Spagnuolo. Cough is a good coach, he just needs a good D coordinator.

Hell, I even thought Gilbride did a decent job this year. Our offense was the only thing that kept us in any games in the second half of the season.

The only thing I'm alarmed about though is the fact that the team pretty clearly quit in the first half of the game. That's a little disturbing... TC teams always seem to fight, and these guys sure haven't this season.

Oh and by the way, Coughlin and Cowher are pretty much the same coach guys. Cowher was the heartbreak kid

in Pittsburgh by losing 4 AFC Championship games. He is THAT much better than Coughlin?

I've tried to point this out before to no avail. The guy coached the Steelers for like 10 years and won one SB. Hardly an amazing resume and hell Tomlin won again 2 years later. Sheridan is clearly the problem and why the Giants thought promoting the LBs coach, the worst part of this D, was a brain fart. Also for posters who dog Gilbride it's hard to stick to any game plan when the opponents O is consistently scoring TDs, 70%+ red zone scoring for opponents O, and you are down 2TDs or more. As I posted before the Giants O had to score 30+ points to win, lately 40+ points, which is basically an impossible task. The mighty Saints only average about 31 points a game. Also once you are in a big hole the opponents D can play like crazed dogs because they have such a large lead anyway so gambling is not an issue. It's a cluster fuck.

I concur. I want Coughlin back with a good DC by his side. Sheridan is the problem... he is BRUTALLY bad.

Think of how we felt about the Giants with Coughlin/Lewis. Now think about how we felt about them with Coughlin/Spagnuolo. Cough is a good coach, he just needs a good D coordinator.

Hell, I even thought Gilbride did a decent job this year. Our offense was the only thing that kept us in any games in the second half of the season.

The only thing I'm alarmed about though is the fact that the team pretty clearly quit in the first half of the game. That's a little disturbing... TC teams always seem to fight, and these guys sure haven't this season.

Isn't it typically up to the head coach to determine his assistants? Coughlin's track record with assistants here is pretty abysmal...

I've tried to point this out before to no avail. The guy coached the Steelers for like 10 years and won one SB. Hardly an amazing resume and hell Tomlin won again 2 years later. Sheridan is clearly the problem and why the Giants thought promoting the LBs coach, the worst part of this D, was a brain fart. Also for posters who dog Gilbride it's hard to stick to any game plan when the opponents O is consistently scoring TDs, 70%+ red zone scoring for opponents O, and you are down 2TDs or more. As I posted before the Giants O had to score 30+ points to win, lately 40+ points, which is basically an impossible task. The mighty Saints only average about 31 points a game. Also once you are in a big hole the opponents D can play like crazed dogs because they have such a large lead anyway so gambling is not an issue. It's a cluster fuck.

I know Cowher only won 1 SB in his 10 years in Pittsburg. The point is they were most of the time in the dance as a contender. They were well coached and fought hard every year.

Can you say those thing about the Giants. I like coughlin I have no problem with him staying as long as there are some coordinator changes (DC, ST) But I would rather have Cowher.

Isn't it typically up to the head coach to determine his assistants? Coughlin's track record with assistants here is pretty abysmal...

Spagniolo was a good hire, and fact is, he got Chris Palmer and Kevin Gilbride on board as assistants and both had head coaching in their resume, regardless of how it turned out they weren't bad moves at the time. Fact is, he probably waited too long with Sheridan, who knows. Pride might have gotten the best of him when Sheridan asked to go to the booth Coughlin said no, perhaps he gets blamed for not letting the guy do the job he the way he wanted.

I know Cowher only won 1 SB in his 10 years in Pittsburg. The point is they were most of the time in the dance as a contender. They were well coached and fought hard every year.

Can you say those thing about the Giants. I like coughlin I have no problem with him staying as long as there are some coordinator changes (DC, ST) But I would rather have Cowher.

And so have the Giants under Coughlin. A SB, NFC East Champs twice, NFC number 1 once, playoffs every year except this year. The only thing that I will say Coughlin can be blamed for is some questionable assistant hiring. Also as Boohyah stated Copughlin should have let Sheridan call plays from the booth 4 games ago. I think he tried to force Spagnuolo's style on Sheridan which isn't fair. I still think hiring Sheridan was bad anyway though; why promote the worst D unit's couch?

Maybe Coughlin will decide it's time to retire and the Organization can scoop up cowher and let him bring in a new coaching staff

I don't get all the infatuation with Cowher... I really don't. Why are we lookin for those old washed up coaches who are.. retired and will retire soon after they take over any fanchise? Who's coaching the saints? Who's coaching the Rams?

I don't get all the infatuation with Cowher... I really don't. Why are we lookin for those old washed up coaches who are.. retired and will retire soon after they take over any fanchise? Who's coaching the saints? Who's coaching the Rams?

Cowher is a good coach guys, his teams were always competitive and 2 superbowls is nothing to ignore. But he's not coming here. Coughlin has the ropes here for another year at least, which he's earned.

And so have the Giants under Coughlin. A SB, NFC East Champs twice, NFC number 1 once, playoffs every year except this year. The only thing that I will say Coughlin can be blamed for is some questionable assistant hiring. Also as Boohyah stated Copughlin should have let Sheridan call plays from the booth 4 games ago. I think he tried to force Spagnuolo's style on Sheridan which isn't fair. I still think hiring Sheridan was bad anyway though; why promote the worst D unit's couch?

WTF is the big deal and big difference between seeing the field from the sidelines and seeing the field from the booth. You get zero feel for the actual game and players from the booth.

It definitely would have made little difference allowing him to call the game from a different angle, unless he somehow can't read what offenses are doing from the sideline.

I have a feeling Sheridan couldn't read an offense if he was in the huddle.

I disagree with EVER letting a coach sit up in a booth to do his playcalling.

Exactly. Coughlin might be a good coach but he is senile and a dinosaur. And his choice of Co-ordinators is nothing short of piss-poor. One Spags goes not erase a bucket full of shit. And promoting a LB coach - the worst aspect of our defense to be a Co-ordinator was brainless move. An absolutely retarded crappy decision. Im not asking for the axe on Coughlin just yet. But the 2 Co-ordinators have to go. We need a fresh attitude.

Amazing.

The worst hire the guy had was Hufnagel--who couldn't do much with even Plax, Barber, and an offensive line that was young and even more powerful than it was last year. I agree, that was a bit of crony-ism; but not exactly unusual in the NFL.

Sheridan was liked by everyone in the front office; and as a position coach, by the players. Hell, even the cannonized Spags liked him. Other than Spagnuolo, the hire could have been blocked by anyone in the chain of command, and wasn't. It simply didn't work out, but there wasn't really much to go on, either. Unfortunately, we now know, the hard way.

And Tim Lewis? He got us a division championship in 2005 with Brent Alexander and the Wills in the backfield, and a completely decimated LB crew. Even when healthy, that LB crew was in bad shape, with guys like Greisen and Mallard (or was it Monk--they were interchangeably horrible) as starters. He was hired due to his resume: and guess what was prominent on that resume? Right. He was DC under BILL COWHER, everyone's darling.

Most of you guys will add Gilbride, but in the 3 years he's been OC, we've won a SB and had a top-10 offense in the other two years. So, AFAIC, he's not a bad hire.

Some of you guys are in free-fall; it's like 2006 all over again.

Amazing.

The worst hire the guy had was Hufnagel--who couldn't do much with even Plax, Barber, and an offensive line that was young and even more powerful than it was last year. I agree, that was a bit of crony-ism; but not exactly unusual in the NFL.

Sheridan was liked by everyone in the front office; and as a position coach, by the players. Hell, even the cannonized Spags liked him. Other than Spagnuolo, the hire could have been blocked by anyone in the chain of command, and wasn't. It simply didn't work out, but there wasn't really much to go on, either. Unfortunately, we now know, the hard way.

And Tim Lewis? He got us a division championship in 2005 with Brent Alexander and the Wills in the backfield, and a completely decimated LB crew. Even when healthy, that LB crew was in bad shape, with guys like Greisen and Mallard (or was it Monk--they were interchangeably horrible) as starters. He was hired due to his resume: and guess what was prominent on that resume? Right. He was DC under BILL COWHER, everyone's darling.

Most of you guys will add Gilbride, but in the 3 years he's been OC, we've won a SB and had a top-10 offense in the other two years. So, AFAIC, he's not a bad hire.

is that the insurance company with the duck spokesperson?

besides the too trendy acronym, i agree with fish. the offense is what kept the giants from being a sub 500 team. probably top 5 in the NFC. a couple too many turnovers but coughlin will fix those.

WTF is the big deal and big difference between seeing the field from the sidelines and seeing the field from the booth. You get zero feel for the actual game and players from the booth.

It definitely would have made little difference allowing him to call the game from a different angle, unless he somehow can't read what offenses are doing from the sideline.

I have a feeling Sheridan couldn't read an offense if he was in the huddle.

I disagree with EVER letting a coach sit up in a booth to do his playcalling.

As I wrote I doubt it would have helped but if that's what he wanted to do and the D is having issues with getting assignments properly/miscommunication then Coughlin should have obliged and let him coach the way he wanted to. If the D is having issues no need to force a square peg through a round hole. Let him do his thing and then evaluate if things are still as bad.

Amazing.

Sheridan was liked by everyone in the front office; and as a position coach, by the players. Hell, even the canonized Spags liked him. Other than Spagnuolo, the hire could have been blocked by anyone in the chain of command, and wasn't. It simply didn't work out, but there wasn't really much to go on, either. Unfortunately, we now know, the hard way.

Hufnagel wasn't that bad (he's won a Grey Cup already); he was in transition years and was just thrown under the bus for convenience. Gilbride was only slightly better when he took over the last games. Sheridan reminds me of Lewis I guess because they seem to apply a lot of soft/bend don't break D. The Johnson/Spagnuolo type of all out wild play may not be perfect but with the Giants DLine it's a good way to keep an opponent's O scrambling. Hell with our terrible LB coverage it's about the only viable option for the Giants D.

I will admit there is a lot of chicken little syndrome on this board. The NFL is tough to win in and ask the Steelers how one year does not translate into another year's success. At least the Giants were in playoff contention this year. Oddly enough the best NFC teams of last year are both out of the playoffs this year.

As I wrote I doubt it would have helped but if that's what he wanted to do and the D is having issues with getting assignments properly/miscommunication then Coughlin should have obliged and let him coach the way he wanted to. If the D is having issues no need to force a square peg through a round hole. Let him do his thing and then evaluate if things are still as bad.

It shouldn't make that much difference to an experienced co-ordinator, but if the guy's not comfortable running a whole defense yet, especially the secondary (where we were at our worst) then getting a bird's eye view could be a real help. It was stubborn of Coughlin to insist he coached from the sidelines.

It shouldn't make that much difference to an experienced co-ordinator, but if the guy's not comfortable running a whole defense yet, especially the secondary (where we were at our worst) then getting a bird's eye view could be a real help. It was stubborn of Coughlin to insist he coached from the sidelines.

The horror of seeing Desean Jackson soooo wide open ....TC should have teleported him to the booth to let him get a birds eye of his schemes; also let him see the futility of rush safeties and too slow LB's while dropping your DE's 30 yards into coverage...

The horror of seeing Desean Jackson soooo wide open ....TC should have teleported him to the booth to let him get a birds eye of his schemes; also let him see the futility of rush safeties and too slow LB's while dropping your DE's 30 yards into coverage...

Like I said, Bill Sheridan couldn't structure the Giants defense if he was in the opposing teams' huddle. It wouldn't have changed what he was trying to do. He'd have been warmer and less miserable, that's about it.

And Fish, Lewis was the only assistant fired under Cowher. That should have told Coughlin something.

And Fish, Lewis was the only assistant fired under Cowher. That should have told Coughlin something.

In 15 years of coaching? You have something to back that up? I'm not saying you're lying, but that's kind of hard to believe. I know a bunch went on to stink it up as head coaches...