SportsWrath

Stay or go, Sheridan is not taking things quietly

JMFP

During last week's telecast of the Giants' 26-6 loss at Denver, NFL Network analyst Matt Millen said Sheridan told him that the Giants weren't physical. Sheridan was available to reporters yesterday for the first time since that loss and the first-year defensive coordinator confirmed the comment.

"We have been very inconsistent in our physical play, sure," Sheridan said. "The players know that. They watch the same film and hear the same critiques every day when we watch film. We are just not consistently physical. There are times where we knock the dirt out of people and have guys flying around and getting tackles in the backfield. But other times we don't have it."

From the same article, here was Tuck's reaction:

"I disagree," Tuck said when told about Sheridan's comments. "Everybody has an opinion. Maybe I'm completely wrong by saying I disagree. But in my opinion I don't think that is the case.

"Go ask the O-lines and the offensive tackles or the guards that I play against," Tuck continued. "I don't mean to make this an individual thing. I don't think (Sheridan) said I was unphysical but when you talk about the team, I am part of the team, so I take it personally. So go ask some of the people I play against and ask the how physical I am. If they come back and tell you I'm not, then maybe I'm just a guy that blows smoke all day because I don't know about myself."

Full story here: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/2009/12/04/2009-12-04_tuck_gets_defensive_on_sheridan_rip.html#ixzz0YkOcbIKw

So, Sheridan replaces Blackburn with Goff; replaces Osi with Kiwi, and is questioning how physical his defense is playing.

I'll say this, if Sheridan is about to get bounced, at least he's not taking it lying down.

Maybe this is the spark that pisses off a complacent unit that is still resting on their 2007 laurels. Or maybe this is a guy who can't coach, and is quickly on the way to alienating the same veterans that he needs to keep his job.

It sure is getting interesting. We'll be finding out Sunday afternoon what's up with the defense.

Because when you DC calls you soft, and the rest of the sports media is writing you off, and the Cowboys are coming into town with the stated purpose of burying your team.....man, if these guys don't come out like the 2nd coming of LT, then they either lack pride, talent, or a good coach.

I'd give anything to know what Reese, Mara, and Tisch think about all this.

Sheridan should never have been the guy to replace Spags. 'nuff said.

Spags knew what he had here, stay Defensive coordinator for a couple more years to a great D-unit then eventually take the head coaching job once Coughlin's contract is up or be a greedy fuck and go take more money with the Rams HC job.

Spags took the money.

Spags knew what he had here, stay Defensive coordinator for a couple more years to a great D-unit then eventually take the head coaching job once Coughlin's contract is up or be a greedy fuck and go take more money with the Rams HC job.

Spags took the money.

dog's not sure how much greed played into it. nothing is for sure, and how long does he ride out coughlin? the time for him to jump was now, b/c head coaching opportunities are fleeting, and there are no guarentees. his stock is up right now, so he took the opportunity. if this year unfolded in a similar fashion with him as the DC, his stock dips. whether he was the next in line in NY once coughlin was gone was most likley, but not for necessarily a given. in professional sports, you have to move when the options are there, or the chances may not resurface for any number of reasons.

dog's not sure how much greed played into it. nothing is for sure, and how long does he ride out coughlin? the time for him to jump was now, b/c head coaching opportunities are fleeting, and there are no guarentees. his stock is up right now, so he took the opportunity. if this year unfolded in a similar fashion with him as the DC, his stock dips. whether he was the next in line in NY once coughlin was gone was most likley, but not for necessarily a given. in professional sports, you have to move when the options are there, or the chances may not resurface for any number of reasons.

This is the 1st post by you that I have ever agreed with

This is the 1st post by you that I have ever agreed with

I concur with the dog also. Look what has happened to Garrett since he decided to stick around. Spagnuolo is actually in a decent situation since even a little extra improvement year after year will be welcome by Rams fans. He has a low bar to hurdle.

Spags took the money.

You have to be kidding Blue. How could you fault a guy for wanting to run the whole ship. And he's playing with house money in Ramland because everyone knows they can only get better.

All Tuck did was stood up for his teamates. If he didn't we'd be on his ass about that also.

Osi has always been more finesse than bullrushing anyhow. It's great when he gets a sack but how many times do you hear of Osi pulling the running back down for a loss. The minute Strahan realized he needed to improce against the run, was the day he became a better player. When/if Osi ever improves that, he'll be better off, longevity wise also.

I'll give Sheridan credit. They played much better this week.

They actually resembled a Giants defense.

CC Brown still blows, but overall, I was very happy with the job they did....Dallas is statistically not far behind the Saints....they can move the ball.