SportsWrath

Tyree cut....Moss makes team......really?

JMFP

I know I'm being sentimental here, but I have a hard time supporting Tyree getting cut, but Moss staying on the team.

Granted, Tyree has been banged up and looked sloppy when he was healthy, but he knows the offense, and obviously, as we saw in the Super Bowl, the Force is strong in him. In a lot of ways, Tyree reminded me of Phil McConkey.....one of those guys whose worth to the team can't be measured with a stopwatch or a stat sheet.

Maybe Sinorice Moss has been the victim of lack of opportunity.....all I know is that this dude better step up this season, or else this could be something that bites the G-Men in the ass.

I just keep hoping that Moss is showing something to the coaches that the rest of us aren't seeing in the games. But I remember hearing that, although Accorsi was the GM at the time, Reece was the force behind drafting Moss. If thats true, there might be some sentimentality involved in keeping Moss around...wouldn't be the first time a high draft pick got kept around by a front office wish-casting for vindication.

I know I'm being sentimental here, but I have a hard time supporting Tyree getting cut, but Moss staying on the team.

Granted, Tyree has been banged up and looked sloppy when he was healthy, but he knows the offense, and obviously, as we saw in the Super Bowl, the Force is strong in him. In a lot of ways, Tyree reminded me of Phil McConkey.....one of those guys whose worth to the team can't be measured with a stopwatch or a stat sheet.

Maybe Sinorice Moss has been the victim of lack of opportunity.....all I know is that this dude better step up this season, or else this could be something that bites the G-Men in the ass.

Not to mention he was a stud on special teams.....I do not get this. Moss is a fucking bust .

C. Wagon

THIS PRESEASON. I don't think you can make the case that Moss has been a more durable player than Tyree in their careers.

Running out of bounds or dropping every pass thrown to you tends aid your durability significant ...as opposed to throwing yourself into the wedge a couple three times a game....:)

C. Wagon

Not to mention he was a stud on special teams....

C. Wagon

Good point. After all, we're talking the #7 receiver here.....special teams aces should make the cut on ST skill alone.

I can understand Smith, Hixon, and Nicks being locks.

Manningham and Barden are likewise fine with me. Living out in Chicago, I got many chances to see Manningham when he was at Michigan, so I know this kid has skill. Wasn't his fault that Killdrive has a padlock on his toolbox.

But when you're down to Moss, Tyree, and Hagan....that's where you say, "everyone who made the most exciting play in Super Bowl history, please step forward."

I just keep hoping that Moss is showing something to the coaches that the rest of us aren't seeing in the games. But I remember hearing that, although Accorsi was the GM at the time, Reece was the force behind drafting Moss. If thats true, there might be some sentimentality involved in keeping Moss around...wouldn't be the first time a high draft pick got kept around by a front office wish-casting for vindication.

That might be the answer right there.

Wow, until you mentioned it, I didn't associate the two. But now that you voiced it, I can't think of a better comparison.

Good point. After all, we're talking the #7 receiver here.....special teams aces should make the cut on ST skill alone.

I can understand Smith, Hixon, and Nicks being locks.

Manningham and Barden are likewise fine with me. Living out in Chicago, I got many chances to see Manningham when he was at Michigan, so I know this kid has skill. Wasn't his fault that Killdrive has a padlock on his toolbox.

But when you're down to Moss, Tyree, and Hagan....that's where you say, "everyone who made the most exciting play in Super Bowl history, please step forward."

Likewise, you could say anyone who has not caught a single TD pass in the last couple regular seasons, please step forward. I have a lot of love for tyree, but keeping him based on his catch in the super bowl, when he can't stay healthy, isn't smart football. Moss, as much hate as he receives, is at least a warm body that can be used in emergencies. I personally still feel he has the ability to make big contributions. Everyone keeps that image of him spinning and taking a step back on that play against the Redskins i believe, yet that happens many times a game, it just didn't work for him.

I doubt Moss gets his shot this year either however, amazes me why they keep the guy around yet he never sees the field, he's played reasonably well when on the field.

In my opinion, they both should have gone. Tyree was great on special teams but he's been replaced there by the likes of blackburn and deossie. and the giants org won't forget his contribution, i'm sure there's a spot for him in the coaching ranks if he wants it. he'll always be a giant.

moss...well it shows we don't have a very deep WR corp if he makes the team.

Likewise, you could say anyone who has not caught a single TD pass in the last couple regular seasons, please step forward. I have a lot of love for tyree, but keeping him based on his catch in the super bowl, when he can't stay healthy, isn't smart football. Moss, as much hate as he receives, is at least a warm body that can be used in emergencies. I personally still feel he has the ability to make big contributions. Everyone keeps that image of him spinning and taking a step back on that play against the Redskins i believe, yet that happens many times a game, it just didn't work for him.

I doubt Moss gets his shot this year either however, amazes me why they keep the guy around yet he never sees the field, he's played reasonably well when on the field.

VG, come on dude! You do remember that Tyree ALSO had the lone first half TD for us in the SuperBowl, don't you? And if you're going to bring the "can't stay healthy" argument into this... then it needs to be applied moreso to Sinorice Moss, who I don't think has stayed healthy for 2 consecutive months his entire Giants career. Remember he missed almost all of mini camp as well this year from injury. The dude is way more fragile than Tyree, and doesn't have a Pro Bowl or the greatest catch in Super Bowl history to his name, either.

VG, come on dude! You do remember that Tyree ALSO had the lone first half TD for us in the SuperBowl, don't you? And if you're going to bring the "can't stay healthy" argument into this... then it needs to be applied moreso to Sinorice Moss, who I don't think has stayed healthy for 2 consecutive months his entire Giants career. Remember he missed almost all of mini camp as well this year from injury. The dude is way more fragile than Tyree, and doesn't have a Pro Bowl or the greatest catch in Super Bowl history to his name, either.

the dog isn't sure who is the better player overall to keep, since neither has demonstrated that they are overly impressive career-wise to date. the staff probably sees moss as having more big play potential overall. everyone wants to go back to the super bowl, but it wasn't as if tyree was an unstoppable force. he had about 3-4 catches, and yes, he made a dramatic clutch catch on the final drive, but that really isn't going to salvage a job two years later...injury has been an issue for both, but they are also looking at a younger moss and tyree has been unimpressive as of late. they are also most likely looking at a player that will see very limited action, and maybe moss has more of an upside in their minds all things being equal. not that stats matter so much, but moss has almost as many career catches in a shorter time frame then tyree...again, for what it is worth. blunatic is probably most accurate - wouldn't really see a reason to keep both, but if they are as unsettled as they may be at WR, they probably felt they needed to keep one of them...

the dog isn't sure who is the better player overall to keep, since neither has demonstrated that they are overly impressive career-wise to date. the staff probably sees moss as having more big play potential overall. everyone wants to go back to the super bowl, but it wasn't as if tyree was an unstoppable force. he had about 3-4 catches, and yes, he made a dramatic clutch catch on the final drive, but that really isn't going to salvage a job two years later...injury has been an issue for both, but they are also looking at a younger moss and tyree has been unimpressive as of late. they are also most likely looking at a player that will see very limited action, and maybe moss has more of an upside in their minds all things being equal. not that stats matter so much, but moss has almost as many career catches in a shorter time frame then tyree...again, for what it is worth. blunatic is probably most accurate - wouldn't really see a reason to keep both, but if they are as unsettled as they may be at WR, they probably felt they needed to keep one of them...

It was four years ago Dog....and it is hair splitting.....but Tryee was a special team Pro-Bowler in 05' and he did make what is possibly the greatest catch in a Super Bowl by a guy not name Swann ....so....his career is somewhat impressive or better still, somewhat notable to-date.

That being said, he is up there age and body clock wise and that makes it tough on a guy who has hung around because he has a big motor and no fear.

Whether Tyree is in play or not....I don't get keeping Moss period.

C. Wagon

I understand your points, but as I mentioned, we are talking about the #7 receiver here. Given past (clutch) history, knowledge of the offense, and special teams ability, I was hoping Tyree would have received the nod.

And age, rather than being a concern, should have been a strength for Tyree, because of the inexperience of the squad. If I'm not mistaken, Sinorice Moss is now the senior Giant at wideout, with Hixon and Hagan.

If anything, I'd say it was the injury....Reese had shown a justifiable lack of patience with respect to injury-prone players. I'd say Tyree got a mulligan in 2008 based on his Super Bowl heroics, but the extension didn't reach into 2009.

Reese is trying to fuck me out of a dollar. There's no other explanation.

LOL.

All joking aside though, maybe I've just missed the games where Moss has played like shit. Didn't he just catch TWO tds against starters last week?

He drops passes? Really? Because I know Mario Manningham, Steve Smith, and Domenik Hixon have caught every ball thrown their way.

Let's not forget that one play before his legendary, highlight-reel performance, Tyree ran the wrong route in the Super Bowl and if Butterfingers Samuel holds on to the ball we're all talking about how Eli chokes in front of 160 million people instead of talking about "the catch."

Moss might not be great... but I'd have to say he's at least as good as the other guys we've got, and would probably make a damn good slot receiver.