SportsWrath

Clint Sintim

JMFP

I would have preferred taking an OLB in Round #1. However, given our glaring need at WR, I can understand the logic of addressing WR first and then going with an OLB.

From what I've read about Sintim, he's a big, fast, versatile linebacker that can get after the QB....something we've desperately needed from our LB corps for a long time. He should be a great complement to Boley on the other side.

I would have preferred taking an OLB in Round #1. However, given our glaring need at WR, I can understand the logic of addressing WR first and then going with an OLB.

From what I've read about Sintim, he's a big, fast, versatile linebacker that can get after the QB....something we've desperately needed from our LB corps for a long time. He should be a great complement to Boley on the other side.

It's really something else that we have Sintim and Boley on a team with already a ridiculous number of pass rushers. The one criticism I've read of Sintim is that he may have trouble in coverage against TE's and RB's. Judging by Sintim's sack numbers, I think he was pretty much used as a pass rusher just about every down in the 3-4 defense Virginia ran. But I like him a lot. I think he is going to be our starting SAM for a long time. This linebacking corps got a huge lift with the additions of Boley and Sintim. And I will say I think Kehl has a chance to be good, too.

Dude looks like he was just custom made at a football player factory to be a Giant.

The potential of our defense is flat scary, great, deep line, lots of talent at LB, secondary looks real solid, Web, Ross, Thomas, Dockery, maybe one of the two rookies will develop into a decent backup. Phillips, Johnson or the other dude we got from the Texans, (yeah I forgot his name).

Dude looks like he was just custom made at a football player factory to be a Giant.

The potential of our defense is flat scary, great, deep line, lots of talent at LB, secondary looks real solid, Web, Ross, Thomas, Dockery, maybe one of the two rookies will develop into a decent backup. Phillips, Johnson or the other dude we got from the Texans, (yeah I forgot his name).

C.C. Brown

I am still worried about Middle Linebacker. I am not too confident in Pierce after last year.

Pierce needs to stay away from the Tasty Kakes.

But also, Pierce suffered from pedestrian talent at the outside last year....sometimes, it seemed like he was the only backer out there.

Sadly, OLB was the Achilles Heel of our defense last season. Boley (definitely) and Sintim (hopefully) will correct that situation.

I am still worried about Middle Linebacker. I am not too confident in Pierce after last year.

Yeah I do share your concern there, but he's there and isn't moving for at least another couple years. He's such a leader on that D, makes it hard to replace him, even if he isn't all that good (in pass coverage anyway). His vocal leadership does a lot to make up for his shortcomings on the field, but we HAVE lost games because of his pass coverage.

I hear what your saying but at the same time look at the LBs around him at the time, Blackburn who is nothing more then a special teams player and Clark who is just a stop gap. All they had to do was isolate Pierce because the other two LBs were nothing to worry about and thats what they did. I mean imagine if Chris Snee was the only starting O-lineman we had and he had Booth, Whimper ect beside him, the line would more then likely suck but Snee wouldnt necessarily be the problem. I think with Boley and Sintim beside him he finally has LBs who can take pressure off of him and let him do the things he does best, setting up the D and sniffing out the runs/screens. Look what happened when we had Mitchell/Pierce, they both played great because both of them had to be accounted for and took pressure off of one another.

I think Pierce has acouple more years left in the tank and in those two years we can draft some MLB who Pierce can coach and mentor(I love Pierce's smarts on the field) to eventually take his place. I think Kehl or Goff are being groomed for the MLB spot more then likely Kehl is.

You see that too huh. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets moved over to MLB in a year or two.

Maybe I'm just smoking dust but... I see a one-dimensional pass-rusher who is bad in space and doesn't change directions very well.

Please tell me I'm wrong. :unsure:

Al Groh on Clint Sintim

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/football...int_sintim.html

Spoke with our old friend Al Groh this morning about a few things, most notably Clint Sintim, the linebacker he coached at Virginia who was selected by the Giants in the second round of Saturday’s draft. Groh said he wasn’t shocked by that move.

“A number of (Giants scouts) who had come in here had expressed on a number of occasions that they really liked how he played so it didn’t come as a surprise that the Giants took him,” he said.

Groh also gave a quick take on two other Giants picks -- Hakeem Nicks and Andre Brown, both of whom played in the ACC. You can click below to continue reading for that info as well as some more X and O stuff on Sintim. As for his quick take on Sintim, Groh predictably had plenty of kind words for his former player.

“We’re very fond of Clint for a lot of reasons,” he said. “He obviously had a very productive career here. He was a three- and four-down player for us. He played regular, he played sub, he played outside at kind of a strong corner position on the goal line, he’s been on special teams. He’s really got a great heart, a competitive heart, and a great loyalty to the people he plays with and plays for. He’s very committed to his success.”

But can he play in a 4-3 scheme like the Giants have after playing in a 3-4 in Charlottesville? Groh said he didn’t know enough about the Giants’ plans to say for sure.

“Obviously they know what they want to do with him or they wouldn’t make the pick that early if they couldn’t see him fitting into what they’re doing,” he said. “He’s got a good set of versatile skills.”

One of them is rushing the passer, something he did to the tune of 11 sacks last year and something the Giants will ask him to do at strongside linebacker. Last year the Giants got zero sacks from that position with Danny Clark playing it, so they’re looking for a few more impact plays this year.

“In the 3-4 defense, on regular downs, the outside linebackers are the primary pass rushers,” Groh said. “On third down when went to nickel and dime fronts, the equivalent to a defensive end on the outside. He’s done it both ways. He’s had a lot of his sacks as a first and second down rusher out of the regular 3-4 defense but he’s got a good awareness of how to rush the passer. He’s going to have a pretty good foundation. He’ll have a lot of things to learn about rushing in the NFL, but he’ll have a good foundation to start with.”

It’s always good to hear a strong report from a college coach, particularly one who coached in the NFL as Groh and North Carolina coach Butch Davis did. But don’t forget where those coaches’ loyalties lie.

“That’s when you have to build relationships with the college coaches and know who you can trust and who is going to tell you the straight scoop,” Giants director of college scouting Marc Ross said. “They’re all pumping their guys. It’s rare you’ll get a guy to bang on one of their players. It’s more often than not it’s positive and they oversell them a little bit.”

So with that in mind, I asked Groh to give a little scouting report on two other players the Giants drafted who also played in the ACC: Hakeem Nicks from North Carolina and Andre Brown from NC State.

Groh’s Virginia team played North Carolina this year and won, 16-13, in overtime. Nicks had six receptions for 90 yards in that game.

“He’s a terrific player,” Groh said. “He’s physical, very physical. He’s athletic. He makes not just speed plays but really athletic catches. He’s got terrific body control, he’s an aggressive after-the-catch runner. We found him to very versatile in the routes he could run, whether it be intermediate or vertical routes. A very highly competitive player. He was, from our perspective, probably the biggest game-changer in our conference last year.”

Because of the revolving schedule in the ACC Virginia did not play NC State this year, but Groh said he’d been a fan of Brown’s since he recruited him out of high school.

“I always thought he was a very talented player who got sidetracked for a while there by injuries,” Groh said. “They have a few other good running backs there and as I recall during that timeframe when he was injured some other guys stepped up and did a good job so it was difficult to get some of his carries back. But he’s a talented player. We were always impressed by him.”

Maybe I'm just smoking dust but... I see a one-dimensional pass-rusher who is bad in space and doesn't change directions very well.

Please tell me I'm wrong. :unsure:

The guy is getting fat, slow, and old... welcome to the natural progression of .. well.. growing older. At some point the Giants need to think about grooming someone to replace Peirce... but let's not forget there's always free agency.