SportsWrath

Giants Slap Franchise Tag on Jacobs

jranieli

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2009/02...gnate_bran.html

The Giants have placed the non-exclusive franchise tag on running back Brandon Jacobs, the team has announced. That means the free-agent-to-be will not be a free agent, though the "non-exclusive" classification means he's free to negotiate with other teams. Of course, if he signs with another team and the Giants don't match, Jacobs' new team would owe the Giants two first-round draft picks.

The Giants had until next Thursday to use the tag.

"With the deadline approaching it was the right business thing to do at this point, although we are hopeful to get a longer term deal hammered out in the near future," general manager Jerry Reese said in the team's press release. "I did speak to Brandon and we had a very good conversation today."

Here's what the tag also means: Jacobs is scheduled to earn $6.621 million this season if he signs the 1-year deal. That number is the average of the top five running back salaries from this past season. If the Giants had given Jacobs the "exclusive" tag, they would have owed him the average of the top five salaries at his position as of an as-yet unspecified date in April.

It also means Jacobs could potentially be bumped down to a restricted free agent next year if the NFL Players' Association and the league cannot reach an agreement on a new collective bargaining agreement. That would make 2010 an uncapped year and nudge the requirement for unrestricted free agency from four accrued seasons to six. Jacobs is entering his fifth season.

But before anyone worries about that, the Giants' designating Jacobs their franchise player (only the third time in their history they've done that) doesn't preclude them from still working out a long-term deal in the coming months. In fact, they have until July 15 to do so. If they don't reach an agreement, Jacobs will then be forced to play under the 1-year deal, which would be 100 percent guaranteed against injury or a release.

"They don't want to let me go and it just buys more time to get a deal done," Jacobs said. "A deal is going to be done and I am confident in that fact that a deal is going to be done. They just didn't want to let me hit the market to see what else is out there. They want me in and it is fine with me, because I would rather be here. It is another reason why I don't really have a problem with it. Now if I didn't want to be here I would be going off the deep end now, but that is not the fact because I want to be here. My family likes it here. This is where I started and this is kind of where I want to finish. It is really just to franchise me to try to get a deal done.

"I think both parties will probably come to an agreement here soon on a long-term deal. A lot of guys would be going off the deep end now, which I understand why guys do it and why nobody wants to be franchised. That only happens when guys don't want to play the rest of their career with that team and they want to see what else is out there. I am in a situation where I want to be here. I want to play here. That doesn't really bother me."

Tom Coughlin wants Jacobs here as well.

"I never felt Brandon would be anything but a New York Giant," the coach said. "There isn't any question that when you talk about being a physical football team, he gives you that physical edge as a runner, a pass protector or catching the ball coming out of the backfield. He's a valuable, valuable part of our team and of the philosophy and the concept by which we play. It's important for our team going forward that he's a Giant."

The previous times the Giants have used the franchise tag were in 1993 when they used it on Jumbo Elliot and 1996 when they tagged Rodney Hampton.

He had a Tiki Barber Jersey and made a nameplate that said PHILLIPS and put it in place of the Barber.

well yeah but id like to know how he did it, if it looks good.

id like to do it myself but im not sure how to go about it and how to make it look nice

Smart move IMO. However I think this says it all about how Reese feels about him. If someone were to pony up their 1st for him, I think Reese would be smiling ear to ear. It's sucks for Jacobs though and I wonder how he will react next season if nobody has the brass to give away a 1st for for him.

I think our beast Jacob's days may be done. And that sucks.

Smart move IMO. However I think this says it all about how Reese feels about him. If someone were to pony up their 1st for him, I think Reese would be smiling ear to ear. It's sucks for Jacobs though and I wonder how he will react next season if nobody has the brass to give away a 1st for for him.

What the hell are you talking about, Socal? First they would have to give up 2 first round picks, according to the article. In the flooded NFL running back market, that is highly unlikely to happen. Second, I have no idea of what to make of your last statement. Jacobs is a beast and will be as long as those knees hold up.

:confused:

This and your T.O. talk in the same day? Are you tripping on acid or smoking salvia by any chance?

Excellent move. This gives them until July 31 to work out a long term deal. Otherwise, we get him for this year at $6.6M.....or the Giants would have the right to match any other offer he gets....and if they don't and he leaves, they get TWO first rounders.

He wants a Marion Barber contract - 6 years, $45M. As I said on another thread, I don't mind the $6.5M per year but no way I'd do 7 years. Apparently Reese agrees, because according to one report I read today, the Giants initial offer was for much less guaranteed and heavy on incentives.

What the hell are you talking about, Socal? First they would have to give up 2 first round picks, according to the article. In the flooded NFL running back market, that is highly unlikely to happen. Second, I have no idea of what to make of your last statement. Jacobs is a beast and will be as long as those knees hold up.

:confused:

I mean, he will be around this season. Next season I dont think he'll want to be.

I mean, he will be around this season. Next season I dont think he'll want to be.

I think the scenario is win win for us. If he goes wild and scored 15 td's again AND stays healthy - we should be glad to throw him a ton of money because he would clearly be worth it after having 3 great seasons in a row. If he gets hurt and misses 3-5 games again, he will have established that he is injury prone and the market for him will shrink to where we then still have a great chance of keeping him. I don't see the downside to this move at all.

I think the scenario is win win for us. If he goes wild and scored 15 td's again AND stays healthy - we should be glad to throw him a ton of money because he would clearly be worth it after having 3 great seasons in a row. If he gets hurt and misses 3-5 games again, he will have established that he is injury prone and the market for him will shrink to where we then still have a great chance of keeping him. I don't see the downside to this move at all.

It's hard not to be injury prone when you play football the way it's supposed to be played.. no towel tackles and hiding. And with a guy like BJ who hits everyone, his body is bound to take a brusing. I won't hold it against him.

It's hard not to be injury prone when you play football the way it's supposed to be played.. no towel tackles and hiding. And with a guy like BJ who hits everyone, his body is bound to take a brusing. I won't hold it against him.

Neither do I. Thats why it is a win win no matter how this season plays out (in regards to the NY Giants-Brandon Jacobs relationship)