SportsWrath

Gilbride has to go

ppodlesny

And correct me if I am wrong but wasn't that at a point where by running the ball they could have killed the clock and gone in at the half with the lead, but because he the constant throwing and the clock not counting down the Eagles got the ball, drove the field, and went into the half with all the momentum in the world?

And correct me if I am wrong but wasn't that at a point where by running the ball they could have killed the clock and gone in at the half with the lead, but because he the constant throwing and the clock not counting down the Eagles got the ball, drove the field, and went into the half with all the momentum in the world?

yep

Gilbride must be punch drunk with some of our success. Why don't why have more short patterns for the right sitution. It can't all be the TE or the slot. How is it that when we do throw short, it's that split screen, not in trips where you have some blocking. You really can't do that too easily in man/press.

We run nicely, but the fact that we were so exposed without Plax is disturbing. I'm not totally calling for Gilbride's head, but this must be addressed.

Oh yea, why did we draft Manningham again? Where the f was he all season. Also, Toomer provides almost nothing too us anymore in that he must almost be uncovered to catch a pass.

I think we learned a few things yesterday: one day, without powerful running game, this is the Manning we'll see, one day (and soon), we'll need to rectify this whole WR problem, and our D is underrated, we were nasty.

If only we could have scored.

We should have invited Buddy Ryan to stand on our sideline for this game.

he just got too cute. 2 draw plays in a row during the most crucial drive of the game? one a direct snap? a play we haven't run all year? and we had a great dirve where we kept going to boss and with mid-range passes and then totally got away from that after the drive. and what's wtih the bubble screen? awful awful playcalling.

Put the blame where you want. I wasn't too crazy about the 2 4th and 1's we blew, but other than that, I don't think Gilbride had a bad mix. I always said, we live by Eli and die by Eli.

Also the system being used relies heavily on QB recognition. It does seem though that when Eli struggles the O plays flat. I know most the posters wanted more run but there was 31 run attempts. Also the Eagles D stopped the Giants when it mattered and when running the ball too.

1st drive:

1-10-PHI 11 (12:15) 27-B.Jacobs right tackle to PHI 9 for 2 yards (20-B.Dawkins).

2-8-PHI 9 (11:39) 27-B.Jacobs right tackle to PHI 9 for no gain (98-M.Patterson, 95-V.Abiamiri).

3-8-PHI 9 (10:53) (Shotgun) 10-E.Manning pass short left to 34-D.Ward to PHI 4 for 5 yards (55-S.Bradley).

4-3-PHI 4 (10:05) 5-J.Carney 22 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-93-J.Alford, Holder-18-J.Feagles.

run-run-pass-punt

1-10-NYG 34 (3:53) 34-D.Ward right tackle to NYG 34 for no gain (95-V.Abiamiri).

2-10-NYG 34 (3:05) 34-D.Ward left tackle to NYG 35 for 1 yard (55-S.Bradley, 58-T.Cole).

3-9-NYG 35 (2:20) (Shotgun) 10-E.Manning pass incomplete deep right to 81-A.Toomer.

Again

1-10-NYG 47 (15:00) 27-B.Jacobs right tackle to NYG 49 for 2 yards (98-M.Patterson, 93-T.Laws).

2-8-NYG 49 (14:27) 27-B.Jacobs left end to 50 for 1 yard (57-C.Gocong).

3-7- (13:41) (Shotgun) 10-E.Manning pass incomplete deep left to 12-S.Smith.

The Fateful Sneak

1-10-NYG 35 (14:21) 27-B.Jacobs right guard to NYG 40 for 5 yards (20-B.Dawkins, 55-S.Bradley).

2-5-NYG 40 (13:44) (Shotgun) 27-B.Jacobs right guard to NYG 42 for 2 yards (55-S.Bradley, 58-T.Cole).

3-3-NYG 42 (13:03) (Shotgun) 34-D.Ward left tackle to NYG 44 for 2 yards (20-B.Dawkins). New York Giants challenged the runner was down by contact ruling, and the play was Upheld. (Timeout #2.)

4-1-NYG 44 (12:39) 10-E.Manning up the middle to NYG 44 for no gain (98-M.Patterson, 97-B.Bunkley).

Even when the game is dire he still tried runs:

1-10-NYG 39 (8:31) (Shotgun) 10-E.Manning pass short middle to 81-A.Toomer to NYG 45 for 6 yards (55-S.Bradley).

2-4-NYG 45 (8:05) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 27-B.Jacobs left end to NYG 47 for 2 yards (20-B.Dawkins).

3-2-NYG 47 (7:24) (Shotgun) 34-D.Ward right end to NYG 47 for no gain (75-J.Parker, 56-A.Jordan). Direct Snap.

4-2-NYG 47 (6:40) 27-B.Jacobs right guard to NYG 48 for 1 yard (97-B.Bunkley, 55-S.Bradley).

Anyway the run was usually for decent yardage or barely anything. Gilbride was obviously trying to mix things up and if the passing game can't execute then what should he have done? Running 40+ times I doubt would have won the game either.

I don't know what to make of the guy anymore. He blew this last game. It's clear that he doesn't play call taking into account on-field conditions, but we've kind of known that since that Washington game last year. He also doesn't seem to adjust to personnel issues that well (Eli/Jacobs/Hixon stinking up the field, so we should run/pass more).

On the other hand, he must be a hell of a film-room coordinator. Because when the offensive personnel are able to execute, we have one great offense. Since he's taken over, we're 27-12, and while our defense is good, we've won our share of 33-30 games. I'm sorry, but that record doesn't strike me as a coordinator that got lucky. Lucky doesn't get you over twice as many wins as losses.

I don't know--balance attack is great if it's all working, but if you know your QB has trouble with windy conditions, you have to account for that. It's frustrating to say the least.

I have defended Gilbride a number of times this year, but the play calling and overall coaching was atrocious.

Of particular note, the two 4th and short plays were an abomination. The Eagles completely sold out on the run both times. 100% sold out. You have Kareem McKenzie hurting, not sure he was even out there, and I know O'Hara came into the game banged up a little. But aside from that, even with a healthy line, no one is going to be successful, not even 265 lb Brandon Jacobs, running into a wall of 9 people. And certainly not Eli Manning. I was screaming at the television.

This was after a NUMBER of plays on first down where the ran almost everytime, with the Eagles LBers completely flying to the RB at the mere suggestion that we were running. We run play action a few more times and guys would've been wide open. Particulary Boss. They went to him with success, and then completely stopped going there. It was disturbing as a fan to see the Giants do the same thing over and over again unsuccessfully, even when we were down. Especially in the 4th quarter, running minutes off the clock unsuccessfully, down by 2 scores. You have to put it more on Eli, and NOT in obvious passing situations where the Eagles absolutely feasted.

Now a dig on Coughlin. It's 3rd and 3 and you run with Ward and are inches short, and Coughlin throws that challenge flag mostly in frustration that we didn't get the first. They had ample time to look at that play on replay before throwing the flag. It was obvious Ward didn't make it. That showed me right there Coughlin was coaching scared... coaching NOT TO LOSE rather than to win. He costs us a valuable timeout when we are down and it's 4th and less than a yard in the middle of the field! Keep it in your pocket and run a play that might work, instead of Eli up the friggin' middle into a 9 man front! Also, Bradshaw, our most explosive player, barely looked like he was in the game plan. This is inexcusable in such a big game.

Now Spags... the defense played well but Spags going prevent at the end of the first half was asinine. The Ravens don't do this, the Steelers don't do this, but for some reason we go to prevent as if not pressuring McNabb all of a sudden is unimportant just because there is only 2 minutes left. This is also why they were able to convert on 3rd and 20. How is this possible! Blitz him for God's sakes. Nearly everytime the Giants blitzed it was a win for the defense, but on crucial downs, they didn't blitz. That 3rd and 20 took the air out of our defense, and possibly was the one play in the game that turned the tide to the Eagles and gave them confidence where they believed they were going to win. Watching it I felt after that play that we were doomed.

If I'm grading the Giants' coaching staff, I give them an F for this game. I'll give Spags a C- though, because the defense overall did a pretty good job.

But Coughlin and Gilbride were coaching as if they were afraid of the Eagles, afraid to lose. How about playing TO WIN!

That was a good run down Jim. I am listening to the 'FAN and its seems everyone involved with football more or less is shocked or disbelieving that the Giants did not either win this game outright going away at least eke out a win playing to their strengths. This is disgusting. I am still having a hard time dealing with this. For me it was the deer in the headlights heave up for the INT during the first quarter that told me things might not go our way.

That was a good run down Jim. I am listening to the 'FAN and its seems everyone involved with football more or less is shocked or disbelieving that the Giants did not either win this game outright going away at least eke out a win playing to their strengths. This is disgusting. I am still having a hard time dealing with this. For me it was the deer in the headlights heave up for the INT during the first quarter that told me things might not go our way.

Here let me make you feel worse. This is the first time a 6 seed has beaten a first seed. :brooding:

Here let me make you feel worse. This is the first time a 6 seed has beaten a first seed. :brooding:

I know....I heard it on the local radio station an hour before the game. Me knowing how the Giants have a long history of negative records. And this year...we always seemed to be caught from behind on game changing plays. I thought sure that Robbins would make it; I thought Bradshaw was going all of the way and then Aikers takes him out....SHITTTT!!! And then have that McNabb pull that bush league shit of reaching for the telephone on the Giants side line. What an asshole. I was like my Old Man who used to laugh at some football players going up to each other after a game for hugs and kisses...he used to say you spend three hours trying to murder the bastard ...now you are trying to kiss him?.....no way. Forgive me I am rambling...I am ready to ignite.

I have defended Gilbride a number of times this year, but the play calling and overall coaching was atrocious.

Of particular note, the two 4th and short plays were an abomination. The Eagles completely sold out on the run both times. 100% sold out. You have Kareem McKenzie hurting, not sure he was even out there, and I know O'Hara came into the game banged up a little. But aside from that, even with a healthy line, no one is going to be successful, not even 265 lb Brandon Jacobs, running into a wall of 9 people. And certainly not Eli Manning. I was screaming at the television.

This was after a NUMBER of plays on first down where the ran almost everytime, with the Eagles LBers completely flying to the RB at the mere suggestion that we were running. We run play action a few more times and guys would've been wide open. Particulary Boss. They went to him with success, and then completely stopped going there. It was disturbing as a fan to see the Giants do the same thing over and over again unsuccessfully, even when we were down. Especially in the 4th quarter, running minutes off the clock unsuccessfully, down by 2 scores. You have to put it more on Eli, and NOT in obvious passing situations where the Eagles absolutely feasted.

Now a dig on Coughlin. It's 3rd and 3 and you run with Ward and are inches short, and Coughlin throws that challenge flag mostly in frustration that we didn't get the first. They had ample time to look at that play on replay before throwing the flag. It was obvious Ward didn't make it. That showed me right there Coughlin was coaching scared... coaching NOT TO LOSE rather than to win. He costs us a valuable timeout when we are down and it's 4th and less than a yard in the middle of the field! Keep it in your pocket and run a play that might work, instead of Eli up the friggin' middle into a 9 man front! Also, Bradshaw, our most explosive player, barely looked like he was in the game plan. This is inexcusable in such a big game.

Now Spags... the defense played well but Spags going prevent at the end of the first half was asinine. The Ravens don't do this, the Steelers don't do this, but for some reason we go to prevent as if not pressuring McNabb all of a sudden is unimportant just because there is only 2 minutes left. This is also why they were able to convert on 3rd and 20. How is this possible! Blitz him for God's sakes. Nearly everytime the Giants blitzed it was a win for the defense, but on crucial downs, they didn't blitz. That 3rd and 20 took the air out of our defense, and possibly was the one play in the game that turned the tide to the Eagles and gave them confidence where they believed they were going to win. Watching it I felt after that play that we were doomed.

If I'm grading the Giants' coaching staff, I give them an F for this game. I'll give Spags a C- though, because the defense overall did a pretty good job.

But Coughlin and Gilbride were coaching as if they were afraid of the Eagles, afraid to lose. How about playing TO WIN!

I agree with much of what you wrote.

The fact that Gilbride did absolutely nothing new with his gameplan, despite 2 weeks of preparation, is unacceptable.

The fact the Coughlin didn't take the wind in the 4th quarter, knowing Eli's record of late-game comebacks, was a monumental gaffe.

And when you add the fact that Eli was having difficulty with the wind, the fact that Gilbride didn't make any adjustments was completely lame.

They could have went to the no-huddle to force the Eagles out of their overstacked schemes. They could have gone play-action-rollout to allow Eli to deliver the ball in stride and without elevating the trajectory of the ball where the wind could sail it.

The fact that last Sunday was deja vu is what really pisses me off. This was a repeat of the 2006 Panthers, the 2007 Vikings, the 2007 Redskins - inability to manage a gameplan due to the wind. That tell me that the offensive coordinator and the QB have a lot of work to do.

Another thing that pisses me off is that Coughlin was a receivers coach under Parcells....he knows better than anyone what weather conditions can do to the passing game in the Meadowlands in the winter.

Eli is a Super Bowl MVP. I'll always love him. But, he's got to work on his bad-weather game, and he needs to be more vocal about the gameplan.