SportsWrath

Looks like Kiwi to DE.

fishgutmartyr

Kiwanuka to DE? Looking like it.

BY PAUL SCHWARTZ

The Giants New York Giants wasted no time determining their best course of action when confronted with an unwanted decision: Who replaces right defensive end Osi Umenyiora , who is out for the season with a torn cartilage in his left knee?

Mathias Kiwanuka , a natural pass-rushing defensive end converted last season strong side linebacker, will be moved back to end, The Post has learned.

Expect to see Kiwanuka on the field today at end when practice is held this afternoon at Giants Stadium. It's doubtful the team would make such a drastic move if there was any chance of Michael Strahan coming out of retirement.

It's a move that makes complete sense. The Giants used the 32nd and last pick in the first round of the 2006 NFL Draft to select Kiwanuka, who holds the career sack record at Boston College. The team fully expected to use Kiwanuka at end in a rotation with Umenyiora, Strahan and Justin Tuck. With the emergence of Tuck and the return of Strahan, there was no room for Kiwanuka in the rotation and so last season the decision was made to move Kiwanuka to strong side linebacker, as the coaching staff was adamant about getting their best athletes into the starting lineup.

After a rough transition, Kiwanuka gradually picked up the intricacies of playing linebacker, working hard on his pass drops. After starting the first 10 games, his season ended Nov. 18 in Detroit when he broke his leg and suffered ankle damage. He lined up at strong side linebacker this spring and summer but now will make the move back to the line, to the position he's most comfortable playing.

Who plays strong side linebacker? The Giants have a few options. The most likely scenario is moving veteran free agent acquisition Danny Clark into the strong side spot, allowing Gerris Wilkinson to start on the weak side. Clark and Wilkinson have been waging a battle for the starting weak side spot. Also available at strong side linebacker are Zak DeOssie, and Tank Daniels and possibly Chase Blackburn, the backup middle linebacker.

Makes sense. Puts Kiwi back in his natural position (now with coverage skills, and covering runs in open space, which should help), while getting Wilkinson and Clark on the field. I still think Wilkinson should be a threat on the blitz, considering his speed, so him at weakside is a good thing. If he goes to DE, we get to keep all the young LBs that we've drafted the last couple of years, developing them even further.

We needed help at DE even before Osi went down. It's only natural that Kiwi reverts back to his DE role but I feel Strahan is still a very big possibility. He's asking for $8M and the Giants were offering $6.5M... not a big gap at all.

Kiwanuka to DE? Looking like it.

Makes sense. Puts Kiwi back in his natural position (now with coverage skills, and covering runs in open space, which should help), while getting Wilkinson and Clark on the field. I still think Wilkinson should be a threat on the blitz, considering his speed, so him at weakside is a good thing. If he goes to DE, we get to keep all the young LBs that we've drafted the last couple of years, developing them even further.

So Strahan un-retires and the Giants are good to go.

looks like it's official aboit Kiwi. Also terrible news with Dahl.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/20...anuka-back.html

Tom Coughlin has a plan to replace Osi Umenyiora, and for the moment it doesn’t include Michael Strahan.

The coach announced a few moments ago that Mathias Kiwanuka will move back to defensive end after one year as a strongside linebacker.

“I talked with him yesterday,” Coughlin said. “He was more than willing to do whatever he could do in the best interests of the team.”

Coughlin said Danny Clark will work in Kiwanuka’s spot at strongside linebacker. That means Gerris Wilkinson will play on the weakiside.

As for Strahan, Coughlin said, “There hasn’t been any discussion that I’ve been involved in” about bringing him back. However, he also said “We’re going to explore every option.”

UPDATE: Bad news for S Craig Dahl. Eight months after tearing an ACL in the Giants’ regular-season finale against the Patriots, he tore his other ACL against the Jets. His 2008 season appears to be over, too. So while the Giants have to cut from 80 to 75 players by 4 p.m. Tuesday, it appears that two of their moves have already been made for them. Dahl and Osi Umenyiora are almost certainly headed to injured reserve.

looks like it's official aboit Kiwi. Also terrible news with Dahl.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/20...anuka-back.html

Tom Coughlin has a plan to replace Osi Umenyiora, and for the moment it doesn’t include Michael Strahan.

The coach announced a few moments ago that Mathias Kiwanuka will move back to defensive end after one year as a strongside linebacker.

“I talked with him yesterday,” Coughlin said. “He was more than willing to do whatever he could do in the best interests of the team.”

Coughlin said Danny Clark will work in Kiwanuka’s spot at strongside linebacker. That means Gerris Wilkinson will play on the weakiside.

As for Strahan, Coughlin said, “There hasn’t been any discussion that I’ve been involved in” about bringing him back. However, he also said “We’re going to explore every option.”

UPDATE: Bad news for S Craig Dahl. Eight months after tearing an ACL in the Giants’ regular-season finale against the Patriots, he tore his other ACL against the Jets. His 2008 season appears to be over, too. So while the Giants have to cut from 80 to 75 players by 4 p.m. Tuesday, it appears that two of their moves have already been made for them. Dahl and Osi Umenyiora are almost certainly headed to injured reserve.

What's unfortunate about this, is that Gerrris Wilkinson will have to play. Clark was beating him for the starter spot as it is and now we are forced to play him. How about this kid who's been here 3 years now, actually go out and win a spot on the team, we are hearing all this "potential" crap. It's like Sinorice Moss, if I hear "upside" one more time I'll puke. Fuck I'm nearly 40 and if I took the field today I'd be shit, but I know I'd be better tomorrow, so I guess I have Upside also. Moss can see all the competition around him this offseason and knows that London and Hixon are busting their hump and yet he's having a "so-so" camp. I'd trade him for a 2nd day draft choice right now if I could, so as to get something while other teams buy the upside nonsense.

I hope one day, we learn to draft linebackers in the first 2 rounds of the draft. One day.

I for one am happy he's playing his natural position.

I agree as I am pretty worried about our linebacker depth. So we will have Wilkinson, Pierce and Clark as our starting linebackers. We have Blackburn, DeOssie, Goff, Kehl, and Daniels as depth. I am a little worrried.

I agree as I am pretty worried about our linebacker depth. So we will have Wilkinson, Pierce and Clark as our starting linebackers. We have Blackburn, DeOssie, Goff, Kehl, and Daniels as depth. I am a little worrried.

It's not so much depth as quality JR for me. I mean everyone on that list above except Pierce and Clark have the tag "upside". Hell if Chase learns how to leave the field on time, hell that'll be upside also.

My wish is when you hear about top notch linebackers coming out in the draft, it would be nice to be able to get one of those, even if he doesn't work out.

Wilkinson is more than capable at LB, his issue appears to be health.

Exactly. He was supposed to compete with Mitchell last year, but was injured in preseason. This year, he was competing with Clark, but was actually pup'd early in camp.

I just hope we didn't draft Barret Green (lots of talent, can't stay on the field).

I think of it like last year, I mean the only solid LB we had..was Pierce. Mitchell was a FA like Clark, both Vets and good experienced players. Last year Kiwi was suppose to be starting but unfortunately got injured and we had a backup in Torbor come in and start and played well also. I look at it almost like the same scenario we have Pierce to hold down the middle, a vet player in Clark and a backup/starter in Wilk who could of taken Mitchell's job if he didnt get injured.

I really don't think we are that bad off.

I hope one day, we learn to draft linebackers in the first 2 rounds of the draft. One day.

No shit, I am not sure what's with the Giants aversion to drafting LBs and collecting WRs.

No shit, I am not sure what's with the Giants aversion to drafting LBs and collecting WRs.

Over the past couple of seasons they drafted LBs in the mid-rounds. Those picks get a minimum of 2 years to prove themselves before the Giants ditch them and go for another LB to groom. It is a cycle that has been going on for some time now that can't be broken so long as they remain committed to late-round picks as being potential starters.

Over the past couple of seasons they drafted LBs in the mid-rounds. Those picks get a minimum of 2 years to prove themselves before the Giants ditch them and go for another LB to groom. It is a cycle that has been going on for some time now that can't be broken so long as they remain committed to late-round picks as being potential starters.

i think the philosophy has been 'we'll train the DLinemen, let some other team train the LB's and we'll pick them up as free agents. sometimes successful, (like last year)- sometimes not so successful. we haven't had a home grown LB starter for a while (besides Kiwi, who gets an asterik).

I thought Goff injured his vertebrae pretty significantly and believe he is out for a long time, maybe the season, as well.

seriously, i hate to criticize reese and EA in the draft cuz they have done a good job the past few years but at the same time i thought our biggest need in the first round was LB those same years

I thought Goff injured his vertebrae pretty significantly and believe he is out for a long time, maybe the season, as well.

Goff got lucky, really lucky. He hasn't been practicing but has been on the bike. He probably wont be ready for opening day but he should be ready to go early in the year.

We have no clue how capable he is. He has shown signs, but not over a stretch of games.

UH Humm!

I think his health is the only reason why he has not been able to show it over a stretch of games.

When he has been healthy played, he has shown he is capable.