Interesting Manning vs. Homo article

Sephiroth

News Main E-mail

Posted: 18 hours 20 minutes ago

QB debate: Breaking down the Romo vs. Eil Manning argument

By Pat Kirwan | NFL.com

Senior Analyst

AP

The Eli Manning vs. Tony Romo debate has been raging over the airwaves this offseason.

The No. 1 debate this spring on my radio show "Moving the Chains" on Sirius NFL Radio has been which QB is better, Tony Romo or Eli Manning?

Cowboys fans contend the argument isn't close, Romo by a landslide. The Giants fans feel the Super Bowl victory ends the debate. Cowboys fans are quick to remind Giants fans that most of the Big Blue faithful were trying to run Eli Manning out of town halfway through the 2007 season. The Giants fans keep asking how can the Cowboys fans be so loyal to a guy who has never won a playoff game? The raging debate has been spirited, to say the least, as fans get emotional. I thought it would be a good time to tag the argument with some facts and figures.

Tony Romo vs. Eli Manning

How the two QBs measured up in the 2007 regular season:

Tony Romo

Att: 520

Comp: 335

Yards: 4,211

TD/INT: 36/19

Rating: 97.4

Eli Manning

Att: 529

Comp: 297

Yards: 3,336

TD/INT: 23/20

Rating: 73.9Eli Manning and Tony Romo have both played enough in the past two seasons to compare their production. While Romo has been in the NFL longer, Eli Manning has been on the field longer. Some categories can be compared head-to-head while others will be discussed by percentages. My intent is not to direct you to decide which man is the best player, but to help you decide which guy you like more and at least have some facts to back up the opinion in case you run into a Cowboys/Giants argument over the summer.

Let's start at the top and work backward.

The playoff comparison

Eli Manning is now 4-2 in playoff games, including a victory in Super Bowl XLII. Romo is 0-2 in playoff games. Eli Manning has completed 59.7 percent of his passes; Romo has connected on 53.8 percent. Eli Manning has thrown a touchdown pass 1:20.5 pass attempts, Romo has hit pay dirt 1:32.5 attempts. Manning has been sacked 1:13 attempts in the playoffs; Romo has only gone to the turf 1:17 throws. Eli Manning averages 6.8 yards per pass attempt and 11.5 yards per completion. Romo averages 6.0 yards per attempt and 11.1 per completion. Advantage: Manning

Regular season comparison

Over the past two seasons Eli Manning has thrown 1,051 passes to Romo's 857 so there is enough similarity to weigh the results. Eli Manning connected on 57 percent of his passes with 47 touchdown passes and 38 interceptions; he was sacked 52 times. Tony Romo completed 65 percent of his passes with 55 touchdowns and 32 interceptions; he was sacked 45 sacks. Advantage: Romo

Division play

There's not a coach alive who doesn't say your team has to be built to win the division. Since Eli Manning took over as the QB, the Giants have gone 14-10 in the division, winning 58.3% of their games. Romo has gone 6-5 in the division, winning 54.5% of their games. Romo is closing in on Eli Manning but the Giants QB has never had a losing division record in four years, while Romo went 1-3 his first year. Advantage: Manning

Personal stats (last two seasons)

Eli Manning has connected on 69 passes over 20 yards. Romo has done it 73 times in 194 less attempts. As for 300-yard passing games, Eli Manning has just six in his career and three over the past two years, recording a 2-1 record in those games. Romo has hit the 300 mark 10 times in the past two seasons and boasts a 9-1 record in those games. Advantage: Romo

So after this breakdown it is a split decision, but if you like playoff football and division play Eli Manning is the winner. If you like regular season and personal achievements then Romo is the winner.

Tune into my radio show this week and weigh in with your opinion. Maybe a non-Cowboys or Giants fan can bring their opinion to the most heated debate this spring.

Have a football-related question for Pat that you would like answered in a future column? Email him at footballmentor@aol.com. "Movin' the Chains," Pat's SIRIUS NFL Radio show with co-host Tim Ryan, can be heard weekdays from 3-7 p.m. ET.

Eli won us the Super Bowl, and was MVP. Right now I'd take him over Homo any day of the week. But it's an interesting comparison. I like how he says if postseason and division games are your barometer, you like Manning, but if stats and regular-season wins are what you judge QBs by, you like Homo.

I love it. And trust me, alot of cowboy fans, here in AZ at least, will read this article and think, "See, I knew it, Romo is the better QB, see! He puts up all those #'s!" And not realize that what he does, doesnt mean squat. :rolleyes:

Just like I was telling all the cowgirl fans during our two losses to them last season............................

WIN ONE WHEN IT REALLY COUNTS

I love it. And trust me, alot of cowboy fans, here in AZ at least, will read this article and think, "See, I knew it, Romo is the better QB, see! He puts up all those #'s!" And not realize that what he does, doesnt mean squat. :rolleyes:

Just like I was telling all the cowgirl fans during our two losses to them last season............................

WIN ONE WHEN IT REALLY COUNTS

Manning was also 0-2 and then turned it on for one playoff run. Really these comparisons are pointless until both careers are over. I guess if the Cowboys, god forbid, win the SB this year the argument will be much more complicated.

Both players are fine QB's. Any team would be lucky to have either.

Trying to put most homerism aside, the deciding factor is playoff performance. It's painfully true that Eli started out 0-2, but reflecting on my rusty memory, I don't think you can honestly blame Eli for the 2 losses, just like you can't credit him with alone with the wins. Vs the Panthers, we were just over matched, nothing offensivlely we tried worked. And vs the Iggles, Eli actually played pretty well if i remember correctly. We lost on the last drive or something similar.

But this year, Eli really played well, the argument truely ends at the Super Bowl. Say the D won us the Championship, thats true, but Eli played out of this world, especially imo vs GB.

Romo, you can make the argument that he was most of the reason they lost their 2 playoff games. Fumbled snap and INT in the end zone.

Trying to put most homerism aside, the deciding factor is playoff performance. It's painfully true that Eli started out 0-2, but reflecting on my rusty memory, I don't think you can honestly blame Eli for the 2 losses, just like you can't credit him with alone with the wins. Vs the Panthers, we were just over matched, nothing offensivlely we tried worked. And vs the Iggles, Eli actually played pretty well if i remember correctly. We lost on the last drive or something similar.

Don't forget our LB core in the Panthers game was guys we got off the street a week before. And we did lose on the last drive against the Eagles.

Eli is clutch. He came through when it mattered. Whether it was sunny Tampa (good D), humid Dallas (good D), frigid Green Bay (good D), or the Super Bowl with 2:34 remaining and needing a TD to win (Belichick D), he got the job done.

Don't forget our LB core in the Panthers game was guys we got off the street a week before. And we did lose on the last drive against the Eagles.

Eli is clutch. He came through when it mattered. Whether it was sunny Tampa (good D), humid Dallas (good D), frigid Green Bay (good D), or the Super Bowl with 2:34 remaining and needing a TD to win (Belichick D), he got the job done.

Beating THE 2 top teams in the division in their house in back to back weeks and then beating the best team EVER is something that no one will ever do again. . The D deserves a ton of credit, but Eli was an elite QB in those games.

I don't know if I would say elite. Clutch, mistake free football. The only INT was a pass that bounced off of Smiths hands when he tried to scoop the ball, sending it airborne.

OK, maybe that was a little homerism seeping through, or perhaps we as giants fan are trying too hard to be objective? A lot of ruival teams fans were very, very complimentary of Eli's playoff performance.

If it were someone with a better track record, maybe Peyton or Favre, maybe we'd be saying it was elite play>?

But this year, Eli really played well, the argument truely ends at the Super Bowl. Say the D won us the Championship, thats true, but Eli played out of this world, especially imo vs GB.

Romo, you can make the argument that he was most of the reason they lost their 2 playoff games. Fumbled snap and INT in the end zone.

Vs. the Panthers, yes Eli threw picks, but the D was just outright horrible. How many third-and-23's can you give up on a draw play? There was a third-and-23, a third-and-18, and something like a third-and-12 that were all converted because our D sucked so bad.

Vs. the Eagles Eli actually brought us down the field for either a tie or a go-ahead score, but again, with two minutes left the D collapsed.

Now here's the million dollar question: is our D better because of personnel, Spags, less injuries, or all of the above? Cuz when we needed a big stop this year (Packers) or a huge play or sack (Patriots) in the playoffs, our D came up HUGE. :flex:

Why are Dallas fans so damn predicatble. They're spoiled by over exposure; they're spoiled by favorable commentary; they're spoiled by unrealistic Madden ratings; and finally, they're delusional about a past that is already so far in the rear view mirror that (if it were us) we'd still be bragging about Phil Simms.

Get over yourselves Dallas, we beat you, that's it.

The other day I was walking through Wal-Mart (insert hillbilly jokes here) and my two year old son was wearing a giants t-shirt and so was I, some Dallas bozo yelled from one aisle over "Giants suck." I gave him "the look" and ignored him, he persisted again.

I said, "enjoy your off season, we'll settle it pretty soon." He yelled, "we were robbed and you guys suuuuckkkkk!" I was nearly compelled to activate his dental plan, but I was with my boy and seeing how we was an employee, I did mention it to the manager of the watch.

Never the less, I would wreck another Giants fan for being that much of a douche, but thankfully, most of us are grounded in our own self-loathing of our team more than antagonism of teams we've most certainly beaten.

I hate Dallas and its fans; I don't care for the Philly experience either, but at least they only hope to win; they don't demand it after they've lost.

The other day I was walking through Wal-Mart (insert hillbilly jokes here) and my two year old son was wearing a giants t-shirt and so was I, some Dallas bozo yelled from one aisle over "Giants suck." I gave him "the look" and ignored him, he persisted again.

Yeah, I've gotten the "Giants suck" call too. I usually call back with, "Well, I hope we suck that bad every year."

Yeah, I've gotten the "Giants suck" call too. I usually call back with, "Well, I hope we suck that bad every year."

I work with a lot of Cowboys fans so I hear the Giants suck stuff too, I usually just give a grin or say some start ass remark.

There is one guy though, from time to time he'll just look at me and say,,,,"Unbelievable" me..."What?".....him...."The Patriots couldn't score 20 points". He still does this, I had pictures from the super bowl on my bulliten board for a solid month, maybe 2. And he would just look at them and say.."Unbelievable"

I'm sorry but that provides very little insight. No support cast taken into consideration? Weather? Gameplan? Opposing defenses and timing of the schedule? 4th quarter statistics?

Especially in that personal stat section... passes over 20 yards, well he is throwing to TO....

I work with a lot of Cowboys fans so I hear the Giants suck stuff too, I usually just give a grin or say some start ass remark.

There is one guy though, from time to time he'll just look at me and say,,,,"Unbelievable" me..."What?".....him...."The Patriots couldn't score 20 points". He still does this, I had pictures from the super bowl on my bulliten board for a solid month, maybe 2. And he would just look at them and say.."Unbelievable"

Apparently he was in as much shock as Jerry Jones was on the sideine.

Eli won us the Super Bowl, and was MVP. Right now I'd take him over Homo any day of the week. But it's an interesting comparison. I like how he says if postseason and division games are your barometer, you like Manning, but if stats and regular-season wins are what you judge QBs by, you like Homo.

The Eli/Romo debate is raging over the radio this offseason. Really?.

Anytime I listen to NFL Radio, I hear absolutely nothing about it. Cedric Benson - check, Javon Kearse - check, javon walker - check (They are going to have a Javon show soon). Eli - Romo, Hmmmm.

And if you are going to write an article about the "debate". Have some balls and come up with a conclusion. This article makes little sense and basically sounds like a lot of stuff NFL Network does in terms of "address the controversy, but don't take a hard line stance on it or you'll piss off the owners".

My take simple, the future is looking up for Eli, but it's hard to say that he's been the better QB than Romo the last 4 years. Perhaps he will be, but right now, no.

The Eli/Romo debate is raging over the radio this offseason. Really?.

Anytime I listen to NFL Radio, I hear absolutely nothing about it. Cedric Benson - check, Javon Kearse - check, javon walker - check (They are going to have a Javon show soon). Eli - Romo, Hmmmm.

And if you are going to write an article about the "debate". Have some balls and come up with a conclusion. This article makes little sense and basically sounds like a lot of stuff NFL Network does in terms of "address the controversy, but don't take a hard line stance on it or you'll piss off the owners".

My take simple, the future is looking up for Eli, but it's hard to say that he's been the better QB than Romo the last 4 years. Perhaps he will be, but right now, no.

It's hard not to agree with that, but in the end it all comes down to what have you won? Romo without a doubt wins the stats argument, but you can't really call him the better QB. It's old and cliche now, but Eli's playoff peformance puts him ahead of Romo at this point. It's all about the rings and Eli has one, Romo don't.

Romo may have more pro bowl's than Eli, but Eli is already leading in the important stat.

One more thing. In his career, Eli has proven to be as clutch as just about anyone, even in hios rookie year he showed signs of late game heroics. We've all seen him play great late and lead us to comebacks against good team, even in the playoffs against Philly. Thats one thing no one can knock him for, with the game on the line Eli is as good as it gets.

It's hard not to agree with that, but in the end it all comes down to what have you won? Romo without a doubt wins the stats argument, but you can't really call him the better QB. It's old and cliche now, but Eli's playoff peformance puts him ahead of Romo at this point. It's all about the rings and Eli has one, Romo don't.

Romo may have more pro bowl's than Eli, but Eli is already leading in the important stat.

That theory would lead you to believe that Trent Dilfer is a better qb than Romo.

The overall body of work shows that Romo overall has been the more effective QB over that period of time. Eli's performance in the playoffs should not cover the fact that prior to that, most people thought he'd never be upper echelon qb, but most thought Romo was already at that level.

That theory would lead you to believe that Trent Dilfer is a better qb than Romo.

The overall body of work shows that Romo overall has been the more effective QB over that period of time. Eli's performance in the playoffs should not cover the fact that prior to that, most people thought he'd never be upper echelon qb, but most thought Romo was already at that level.

Ah, the old trent Dilfer argument. if you're asking if Dilfer is more sucessful, the answer is yes. Dude won a superbowl. Albeit mostly due to one of the greatest D's ever assembled. While the Giants had a great D this season, I don't think they are on par with the 2000 Ravens or 86 bears. The D is a main reason we did as well as we did, but while trent won by not fucking up, Eli played very well.

I already said Romo is the better statistical QB, but look at Eli's career. Dallas his rookie year, Minny, Denver, Philly, etc. he's carried the team to victory in the closing minutes, or did everything a human can do to give them a win in the closing minutes and have the D let him down.

If we had the D we had this year for eli's whole career, he is at the very least 5-1 in the playoffs.

It's funny that we share a common bond when it comes to the response to our SB victory. I especially like the one where the co-worker just simply says, "unbelievable." I can live with that, it's funny and the exasperation of people (about our win) is a riot.

I just don't care for the indignant attacks (especially in public), it's not like we won because of the tuck rule. I find it's Cowboys fans, more than Packer fans, Tampa fans, even Pats fans that are still up in arms because they thought it was in the bag.

Boy oh boy, now that we're getting closer (and I've had to listen to this trash), I hope we do it again. I know it's a tall order, but please...I hope we repeat and I have to hear it twice as often.

Long live Eli!

Ah, the old trent Dilfer argument. if you're asking if Dilfer is more sucessful, the answer is yes. Dude won a superbowl. Albeit mostly due to one of the greatest D's ever assembled. While the Giants had a great D this season, I don't think they are on par with the 2000 Ravens or 86 bears. The D is a main reason we did as well as we did, but while trent won by not fucking up, Eli played very well.

I already said Romo is the better statistical QB, but look at Eli's career. Dallas his rookie year, Minny, Denver, Philly, etc. he's carried the team to victory in the closing minutes, or did everything a human can do to give them a win in the closing minutes and have the D let him down.

If we had the D we had this year for eli's whole career, he is at the very least 5-1 in the playoffs.

The Dilfer thing is not so much an argument, but stating that a lot of good players didn't have the playoff success that others do. It's very likely Junior Seau will retire without a ring, yet the guy is a hall of famer no doubt and I'd never take anything away from his career for not winning one.

And stats have nothing to do with it VG, I'm stating that overall, winning games, presence, not making bad throws and turnovers, Romo has been better than Eli.

the dog has a hard time with the idea that dilfer is more successful as a QB because he has a super bowl win...there are just too many factors involved. in the dog's opinion, manning's run and dilfer's run are pretty comparable - both did what they had to, but the overall success of the team was dictated by strong defensive play. and while performing well in the clutch is crucial, there are examples of QBs that have had success in these areas that would not be considered to be great NFL qbs (jake plummer has a number of 4th quarter comebacks, but was put in those positions by his own mediocre play during the games...)...in the end, the dog agrees with the earlier post that it is way too soon to try and draw a conclusion as to who the better QB is...bottom line is, manning has a ring thta nobody can take from him, but the dog wouldn't say he has had a more successful career than say a dan marino, who doesn't have that ring...