SportsWrath

ESPN says Giants have 9.4M under the cap

BleedinBlue

Potential Problems?

By Sean O'Sullivan | March 30th, 2008

(Giants 101 MVN)

Rumors have been swirling around all off-season about how some of the Giants players were unhappy with their current contracts. Everyday we get closer to training camp and in this time period before the draft the players are going to become more disgruntled with each day passing.

The biggest problem with this is that it is 3 very key players that seem to want new contracts. These players would be Chris Snee, Osi Umenyiora and Plaxico Burress. Now the most important of these three players to extend in my opinion would be Chris Snee because he is in the last year of his contract and is the best player on our offensive line. This is not to say that making sure Osi and Plax don’t hold out is not important, but that Snee’s situation is much more imminent because he is going to be a free agent after this season and we have all seen the ridiculous money thrown at average guards in years past. Snee would get huge money if he were to hit the open market and this is why the Giants need lock him down now.

Osi Umenyiora’s situation is a little bit more complex. As most of you remember Osi received a contract extension not to long ago, so why is he asking for a new contract now? Well I guess saying that he likes money would be a little too obvious. Now I am not in Osi’s head but I have to guess that he wasn’t too happy with Justin Tuck getting paid more than him when he hasn’t accomplished as much in this league as he has. The Giants set a dangerous precedent with that contract because now Osi is going to have to receive similar money as well as Strahan if he comes back this year. Not to mention when it is time for Kiwanuka to receive his extension in a couple years he is going to demand similar money. I Believe Osi Umenyiora deserves a bit of a pay raise and hopefully the Giants handle this before Osi decides to hold out in training camp.

The Plaxico Burress situation has been quieter than the other two, but I feel that he deserves a little bit more than he is making. Plax is a top 10 receiver in this league yet guys like Bernard Berrian and Javon Walker are getting paid huge money in free agency and Plaxico has a relatively cheaper contract.

All these Giant players have a legitimate beef with their current contracts and should get paid a little bit more. However, will the Giants have enough money to pay all of them? ESPN has the New York Giants with 9.4 million under the current cap. With the cap continuing to go up and rumors of their being no cap at all in the near future I think the Giants need to take care of their own and do it quickly.

Snee and Plaxico may have legit beefs, but Osi doesn't IMO. He's signed his new contract a while ago and now he's upset about Tuck getting more. If I was GM, I'd tell him to sit till next year and we'll talk then. Because if you let Snee get upset he may walk. Losing Snee right now would be devastating to the line and the run game.

This article is trying to make more of a big deal out of this than it is. Snee is going into the last year of his rookie contract: of course he wants a raise, and the Giants want to give him one before he goes into the open market. But there is no sane reason for Snee to hold out. It's more in the interest to the Giants to sign him before the next free agency than it is Snee's.

I don't think I like what Osi's agent seems to be doing (he's Strahan's agent as well, and I wouldn't be surprised if he's using Strahan as a bargaining chip), but I can certainly understand him being upset about Tuck's contract.

I don't think anyone would argue about Burress.

This article is trying to make more of a big deal out of this than it is. Snee is going into the last year of his rookie contract: of course he wants a raise, and the Giants want to give him one before he goes into the open market. But there is no sane reason for Snee to hold out. It's more in the interest to the Giants to sign him before the next free agency than it is Snee's.

I don't think I like what Osi's agent seems to be doing (he's Strahan's agent as well, and I wouldn't be surprised if he's using Strahan as a bargaining chip), but I can certainly understand him being upset about Tuck's contract.

Agreed 100%.

Snee should be locked up long-term before training camp.

Burress should get a well-deserved raise.

And Osi should shut up and complete at least half a contract he signed before coming back. And even when it comes time a year from now to talk I wouldn't increase his total much, but add more to guaranteed.

Agreed 100%.

Snee should be locked up long-term before training camp.

Burress should get a well-deserved raise.

And Osi should shut up and complete at least half a contract he signed before coming back. And even when it comes time a year from now to talk I wouldn't increase his total much, but add more to guaranteed.

Another 100% agreement. ;)

I'm only in 98% agreement with this.

I think that I can understand Osi's beef with Tuck, who is an important part of our DL rotation but still a backup, getting paid more than he is, but $16 Million isn't pocket change. I like Osi but this is retarded.

Plax and Snee definately deserve raises though.

I think that I can understand Osi's beef with Tuck, who is an important part of our DL rotation but still a backup, getting paid more than he is, but $16 Million isn't pocket change. I like Osi but this is retarded.

Plax and Snee definately deserve raises though.

Yeah, them and Anthony Wright. MAN, that guy can hold a clipboard like nobodys business!

I think the team has to take care of Snee first because its his contract year coming up, and Plax needs to be rewarded for his gutty performance last year as well, as far as Osi goes he's simply going to have to wait his turn. Nothing surprising about Strahan looking for more money, he's done this ever since he's been here and now that his ex wife cleaned his plow he going to be asking for money every time Reese turns around until Reese gets tired of it and puts a stop to it..

I think the team has to take care of Snee first because its his contract year coming up, and Plax needs to be rewarded for his gutty performance last year as well, as far as Osi goes he's simply going to have to wait his turn. Nothing surprising about Strahan looking for more money, he's done this ever since he's been here and now that his ex wife cleaned his plow he going to be asking for money every time Reese turns around until Reese gets tired of it and puts a stop to it..

If I was Reese I would just tell Strahan that no one told you be an asshole and sign over everything to that hell bitch wife of yours. That was your call asshole. Now guess what we will throw a few sweeteners in the pot for you...but damned if we are going whip up a new pot (e.g. contract) because you fell puppy dog stupid in love with a usurous bitch. Word to the wise make sure you get a real pre-nup before you ring up the former Mrs. Murphy....Nicole. Though she is better looking...she also seems to be smarter than the last cunt you married and Brother you seem like a serial fuck up when it comes to the ladies. :P;)

And Tuck did not need the double teams on the other side to get to the QB either.

Let's be fair T, Osi gets doubled a lot and Tuck has a much more direct path to the QB as down lineman.

Osi does a good job rushing the QB, IMO he needs to play better against the run.

Let's be fair T, Osi gets doubled a lot and Tuck has a much more direct path to the QB as down lineman.

Osi does a good job rushing the QB, IMO he needs to play better against the run.

That's irrelevant.

Both of them are getting paid handsomely for what they do. The difference is Tuck signed his later which naturally would be a higher contract. Osi was very happy with his contract when he signed it and it still is a very good deal. If his ego gets in the way and he thinks he should be making more than Tuck, then all he has to do is continue playing as well or better and when is contract is up for negotiations, the FO will be more than happy to make him a generous offer. For now, he needs to honor his contract.

I'll try....but Jesus H. Christ don't kill the goose that lays the golden eggs. Stick together and we might have our own mini-dynasty going there. :brooding: