SportsWrath

The Saints Still trying to land Shockey at all cost

Lughead

The link you supplied didn't work, but maybe the site is just down.

Here's something on this from the Star Ledger:

"Once again, there is a report stating the Saints are trying to trade for Giants TE Jeremy Shockey.

I (Mike Garaflo) did some sniffing around and came up with very little. Not saying nothing's cooking, just that there aren't signs of it. All I know is what I heard recently - that the Saints' original offer was a second-round pick (No. 40 overall, if it was this year's pick they offered) and S Roman Harper, their second round pick in '06. The Giants said, "Nah."

So unless NO is reloading for another run at Shockey, nothing's cooking on that front. And believe me, if they plan on prying Shockey from the Giants, they'd better come with a seriously good offer".

The link you supplied didn't work, but maybe the site is just down.

Here's something on this from the Star Ledger:

"Once again, there is a report stating the Saints are trying to trade for Giants TE Jeremy Shockey.

I (Mike Garaflo) did some sniffing around and came up with very little. Not saying nothing's cooking, just that there aren't signs of it. All I know is what I heard recently - that the Saints' original offer was a second-round pick (No. 40 overall, if it was this year's pick they offered) and S Roman Harper, their second round pick in '06. The Giants said, "Nah."

So unless NO is reloading for another run at Shockey, nothing's cooking on that front. And believe me, if they plan on prying Shockey from the Giants, they'd better come with a seriously good offer".

hmm worked for me but here is the story,

SI: Saints Remain Interested In Jeremy Shockey

The New Orleans Saints desperately want to add Jeremy Shockey to their roster and, apparently, they aren't taking "no" for an answer.

Nearly a month after the Giants turned down an offer from New Orleans for the former Pro Bowler, Peter King of Sports Illustrated is reporting that the team from "The Big Easy" is not through trying to acquire the often out-spoken and overly charismatic tight end from New York.

shockey.jpgAlthough rookie Kevin Boss played quite well in Shockey's absence, no one on the Giants is mistaking him for their "go-to" tight end. In fact, several players have gone out of their way to show support for their overly-criticized teammate.

"He plays with his heart," said
Plaxico Burress
prior to the Super Bowl
. "I always said, 'if he goes out and plays well, he's our emotion on the offense. When he gets up and spikes the ball and starts rotating, everybody loves it.' We feed off that energy."

Shockey may have a mental hiccup here or there, but there is absolutely no way the Giants are a better team without him.

Unfortunately, since the Giants -- and especially Eli Manning -- started to play at a higher level after he got injured, the common misconception was that they were better off.

The truth is, in his first three seasons as a starter, Manning had a better TD/Int ratio and QB Rating when throwing to Shockey than any other receiver on the team.

This isn't a knock on Boss by any means; he's a very talented receiver and quality blocker. But Shockey had slowly rounded himself into an emotional offensive leader, one of the best blocking tight ends in the league and a guy who could swing momentum back in the Giants favor at any given moment.

The Saints may need him and they may pull out all the stops to get him, but there is a reason General Manager Jerry Reese said "no" the first time.

Whether or not the majority of the fans believe Shockey is an asset to this team, he is -- and for that reason, No. 80 is staying put.

Roman Harper is a very talented young safety, and with an additional 2nd rounder we bolster the TE pos up a lile more to take pressure off Boss.

Reese has gotta pull the trigger here, or atleast send N0 a counter offer

Hows the food in prison?

That was a very generous offer from NO. When you think about it, they're investing that much into a guy who has never played in a game in week 17 in his career, has had one or two devastating injuries and many other nagging ones, does raise some minor red flags, and has shown that he isn't the same guy as he was in his rookie year.

I'm not saying we should do it but id like to see how they can up that offer.

According to the rumor mill at ProFootballTalk.com, the Saints didn't offer a 2 and Roman Harper....it was the Giants who said they wanted a 2 and Harper and the Saints said no. However, the same rumor mill says that talks have not stopped and "those on the inside" (take that for what it's worth), say both teams are determined to make a deal.

If that is the case, then the Giants obviously think Shockey is expendable and that they believe Eli rises to his potential when Shockey isn't suited up.

The exact quote:

"In response to a report in the Newark Star-Ledger that the New Orleans Saints offered a second-round pick and safety Roman Harper for Giants tight end Jeremy Shockey, a source with knowledge of the discussions tells us that the Giants wanted a two and Harper, and that the Saints refused.

We don’t know what if anything the Saints offered for Shockey. But the fact that the Giants articulated a trade request for Shockey tells us that they’re willing to move on without him.

And for good reason. He has been a disruptive influence in the organization, and we think it’s no coincidence that quarterback Eli Manning came of age once Shockey was done for the year with a broken leg".

I am not giving them Shockey. For as good as Boss played he is not SHockey. Simple as that. There is no law that says we cannot have 2 tes that can catch the ball and maybe more play for Boss early on means less injuries for Shockey later on.

I am not giving them Shockey. For as good as Boss played he is not SHockey. Simple as that. There is no law that says we cannot have 2 tes that can catch the ball and maybe more play for Boss early on means less injuries for Shockey later on.

I think what it would mean to the Giants is that they would go into the draft targeting a top tier tight end...and of course, the need for a top tier safety would no longer be an issue. Also, cap wise, Shockey's contract is probably back loaded meaning that it would also free up more cap space for future endeavors.

Personally, I like the trade if we could pull it off. I'll also be content if we don't make the deal. I trust in TC's and Gilbride's judgement here.

I think what it would mean to the Giants is that they would go into the draft targeting a top tier tight end...and of course, the need for a top tier safety would no longer be an issue. Also, cap wise, Shockey's contract is probably back loaded meaning that it would also free up more cap space for future endeavors.

Personally, I like the trade if we could pull it off. I'll also be content if we don't make the deal. I trust in TC's and Gilbride's judgement here.

If you go into the draft looking for a top tier TE then you do not feel that Boss is one, thus you do not make the trade. You do not trade a matchup problem like Shockey if you do not feel that his equal replacement is already on the roster. Why trade a strength and have to look for another TE thus seeking more weakness' in the draft?

This is all about the SHockey haters wanting him gone. I am no huge fan of Shockey, but the man has tremendous talent. I rewatched a ton of games from this year and paid close attention to SHockeys plays vs Boss' plays. No doubt Boss has great hands and will be a solid TE in the league, but Shockey has that something that you just cannot find often, not sure what it is, but he has it. Not to mention like I said the matchup problems.

How about a 2 TE set(which we run often) with some play action working, who do you key on off the line? Shockey? Boss? Maybe you key on one and let them both run routes and depend on a killer blocking FB like Hedgecock to do his job and one will be WIDE open?

Shockey isn't the type of Giants player that I used to watch growing up. Now that said, he absoultely KILLS the Cowboys every year... but the hand waving, the crying, the helmet throwing, etc. gets really irritating.

In a draft this deep, I'd take Harper and a 2 for him. We've already proven we can do great things, like... win the Super Bowl... without him.

Roman Harper is a very talented young safety, and with an additional 2nd rounder we bolster the TE pos up a lile more to take pressure off Boss.

Reese has gotta pull the trigger here, or atleast send N0 a counter offer

Why do you speak English in the Giants forum and speak wanna be thug in the GD section?

Shockey isn't the type of Giants player that I used to watch growing up. Now that said, he absoultely KILLS the Cowboys every year... but the hand waving, the crying, the helmet throwing, etc. gets really irritating.

In a draft this deep, I'd take Harper and a 2 for him. We've already proven we can do great things, like... win the Super Bowl... without him.

On the FAN this morning they were talking about this and said the Saints were offering a package with the 2nd round pick and something, the Giants wanted Harper but the Saints rejected it. They were looking to possibly throw in a later round pick.

I could not see trading a Pro-Bowler in the prime of his carrer for a second round draft pick and anything less then a starting player in a position of need. If Spags thinks Harper can fill in and be a solid starter for the next 3-4 years it is a good move.

Otherwise I want to see number 80 lineing up for the Gmen.

If you go into the draft looking for a top tier TE then you do not feel that Boss is one, thus you do not make the trade. You do not trade a matchup problem like Shockey if you do not feel that his equal replacement is already on the roster. Why trade a strength and have to look for another TE thus seeking more weakness' in the draft?

This is all about the SHockey haters wanting him gone. I am no huge fan of Shockey, but the man has tremendous talent. I rewatched a ton of games from this year and paid close attention to SHockeys plays vs Boss' plays. No doubt Boss has great hands and will be a solid TE in the league, but Shockey has that something that you just cannot find often, not sure what it is, but he has it. Not to mention like I said the matchup problems.

How about a 2 TE set(which we run often) with some play action working, who do you key on off the line? Shockey? Boss? Maybe you key on one and let them both run routes and depend on a killer blocking FB like Hedgecock to do his job and one will be WIDE open?

Hammer...meet head.

You hit it right on the head, man. We're talking about trading a 4 time pro-bowler for a kid who averaged 1 catch per game. Even at 80 percent, Shockey is still better than 90 percent of the TE in this league.

But Giants fans critize him because he wants the ball? It's like my High School coach use to say. "Show me WR that doesn't want the ball. And I'll show you one sitting on the bench." Simply, unbelieveable...

Trade Shockey???

By Rich O'Callaghan | March 28th, 2008

E-mail | Print | Share?

Ok, we have debated this subject on the site for a few weeks now, and it is time to write a serious post about it. I know I am going to get a lot of hate here. Keep in mind I am exploring both sides of the argument here, and I will give my final thoughts at the end of the post. The question is: Should the Giants trade Pro Bowl tight end Jeremy Shockey if the right offer comes along?

The Facts:

• The Giants drafted Jeremy Shockey with the 14th pick in the first round of the 2002 NFL Draft. Since then Shockey was named the rookie of the year, has been selected to the Pro Bowl four times (2002, 2003, 2005, 2006) and was named an All Pro once (2002). During that time period Shockey has played 83 games for the Giants, catching 371 passes for 4228 yards and 27 touchdowns.
  • The Giants just won the Superbowl without Jeremy Shockey. Shockey was lost for the season during the week 15 home loss to the Washington Redskins, when he broke his left fibula. Shockey has been injured several times during his NFL career, has never played a full 16 game schedule, and has missed 13 career games due to injury.
The case for keeping Shockey:

• Jeremy Shockey is one of the focal points of the Giants offense, and there is no doubt they are a better unit with him on the field. Shockey is a great athlete and causes match up problems all over the field for the opposition. He has the ability to run after the catch, stretch the field from the tight end position and block effectively in the running game. He is faster than most linebackers (and some safeties, I’m talking to you Roy Williams), and too big for any defensive back to handle one on one.
  • With the talented Kevin Boss in the fold, the Giants will be free to use two tight end sets, or use one of them tight and the other in the slot. Having Shockey and Boss on the field at the same time, with Plaxico on the outside, will be a nightmare for the opposition.
  • Eli Manning says he wants Shockey back, and knows the offense is more dangerous with Shockey than without him.
  • Shockey is an emotional player who plays hard every time he is on the field, and by all accounts he practices as hard as he plays. He is passionate about the game and plays every snap as if it is his last.
The case for trading Shockey:

• It is no secret that the Saints have called the Giants and offered their second round pick (41st overall) for Shockey. There are conflicting reports on whether or not the Saints included 25 year old safety Roman Harper in the deal. Some reports say the Giants asked for Harper and the second round pick in return for Shockey and the Saints turned them down, and other reports say the Saints offered the Giants their second round pick and Harper for Shockey and the Giants shot them down. Other teams have also expressed interest in acquiring Shockey, including the Bills, Raiders and Seahawks. Another name that has been floated around in trade scenarios is the Bills Dontae Whitner, a safety who was the 8th overall selection in the 2006 draft out of Ohio State.
  • Kevin Boss had a very promising rookie year for the Giants, and looks like he has the potential to be a star in this league. He is young and is not the blocker that Shockey is yet, however the skill set is there. Boss filled in very well for the injured Shockey, catching 9 passes for 182 yards and 2 TDs. He also had one of the most memorable plays of the Super Bowl on a 45-yard catch and run, beating New England safety Rodney Harrison.
  • The argument can be made that Eli Manning did not start playing to the best of his abilities until Shockey was injured. Shockey was often criticized for throwing his hands up in disgust when he was open and Eli would throw in a different direction, and throwing tantrums on the bench when he did not get the ball often enough. (the argument can be made that Plaxico acted the same way, and he and Eli worked great together) Some think Eli attempted to force the ball to Shockey too often, resulting in interceptions and mistakes. After Shockey’s injury, Eli basically stopped throwing interceptions and led the Giants on an amazing Super Bowl run. The question is: Is Eli Manning a better quarterback without Jeremy Shockey on the field?
My Take:

I am a huge Jeremy Shockey fan, and have worn his jersey to every home game since we drafted him (but I bust out the new white Justin Tuck on 9/4). He is the type of player that you love to have on your team, and fans of other teams love to hate him. I think as of now that the Giants should keep Jeremy Shockey, but I am still a little on the fence. If the Giants keep Shockey he has to understand that this is Eli’s team (like Plax did) and Eli has to stop taking his crap. If Shockey throws a tantrum, Eli needs to grab him by the facemask and make him understand that he is going to get the ball when he gets the ball. If Shockey cannot mature, he has to be gone. We won the Super Bowl without him, and we can still get a lot of value for an often injured tight end. If we could land a Roman Harper or Dontae Whitner and a second round draft pick, that is great value for Shockey. We are talking about an instant upgrade to our secondary and the weakest spot on our defense. If Jerry Reese can land Harper/Whitner and a second round pick, I think he will have to pull the trigger on a Shockey deal.

personally I think that at this point in his career Boss is simply going through the same learning curve that Shockey went through, particularly with his blocking. Boss has shown me that he can play in this league and can catch the ball and just needs to hone up his blocking skills . As far as Shockey goes, I have always enjoyed his play on the field and and the enthusiasm he brings and if he stays and is 100% recovered then thats fine. The problem is that he hasn't played a full season since he's been here because of one injury or another, not saying its his fault but it is a problem. As badly as I think we need a good safety trading Shockey could be something we'll be sorry for, and we should e able to get a decent safety in this draft . My point here is be careful what you wish for, you might get it and be sorry,and that pertains to trading Shockey...

I think so much of this decision has to do with how the coaches and staff percieve Shockey. There is no doubt that Shockey is a very talented player. But if he has rubbed the staff the wrong way too many times, they may be looking to unload him.

I don't think it's a coincidence that several teams are inquiring about Shockey. Just ask yourself, "why have they inquired about his availability and not Osi's....or Tuck's....or Pierce's....or Snee's"? I believe the answer to that question is that the Giants staff has put out feelers to other teams to see what kind of interest they could drum up. Teams don't just come out of nowhere and offer trades for a star player unless they know the team is looking to part ways with him for a decent offer. Are they inquiring about a trade to the Cowboys for Whitten? I don't think so. Teams inquire and make offers when they know the player is "on the block".

On the other hand....maybe the Giants put the feelers out there and have no interest in trading Shockey....but want to send a message to Shockey to fall in line with the team and get completely on board behind Eli.

If I were a bettin man.....I'd say there's a better than 50:50 chance that Shockey will not be a Giant when the season starts. If the right offer comes in (and it would probably be on draft day), Shockey will be history.

I'm not sure I understand why the Saints would deal Harper and a 2nd for Shockey. Harper is very talented and already a need for the Saints even with Harper. If this rumor is indeed true the Giants should pull the trigger

if the Giants (Reese) have seriously said no-deal to the Saints about a deal for Shockey then why are they still sniffing around and why hasn't this topic passed away,is there still something to it or is it just fans looking for something to talk about...I wonder..

I think so much of this decision has to do with how the coaches and staff percieve Shockey. There is no doubt that Shockey is a very talented player. But if he has rubbed the staff the wrong way too many times, they may be looking to unload him.

I don't think it's a coincidence that several teams are inquiring about Shockey. Just ask yourself, "why have they inquired about his availability and not Osi's....or Tuck's....or Pierce's....or Snee's"? I believe the answer to that question is that the Giants staff has put out feelers to other teams to see what kind of interest they could drum up. Teams don't just come out of nowhere and offer trades for a star player unless they know the team is looking to part ways with him for a decent offer. Are they inquiring about a trade to the Cowboys for Whitten? I don't think so. Teams inquire and make offers when they know the player is "on the block".

On the other hand....maybe the Giants put the feelers out there and have no interest in trading Shockey....but want to send a message to Shockey to fall in line with the team and get completely on board behind Eli.

If I were a bettin man.....I'd say there's a better than 50:50 chance that Shockey will not be a Giant when the season starts. If the right offer comes in (and it would probably be on draft day), Shockey will be history.

There is probably some truth to your conclusions. i agree something is

up with this Shockey talk. Exactly i could'nt tell ya but it something fo sure.

Too much talk for a star player as you mention.