SportsWrath

Not really a Giants topic but

RandolphScott

Farve calls it a career

The most storied quarterback career in NFL history is coming to a close.

FOXSports.com has learned that legendary quarterback Brett Favre has decided to retire. In fact, it's believed he informed the Packers of his decision within the last few days, although it's unclear when Favre and the team will make his decision known.

So barring an unforeseen last-minute change of heart, Favre will leave the game after 17 years, during which he built himself into a household name and a figure synonymous with grit, toughness and perseverance.

Neither GM Ted Thompson nor head coach Mike McCarthy returned several calls left by FOXSports.com for confirmation.

After flirting with retirement for the last few years, Favre will finally go out on the heels of one of the best seasons of his career.

He led the Packers to the NFC Championship Game after passing for a stunning 4,155 yards, looking very much at times like a younger version of himself. In addition he threw 28 TDs — including an overtime Hail Mary pass to beat Denver in front of a national audience — and had a 95.7 quarterback rating. He was also voted into the Pro Bowl following the 2007 season but declined to go.

Favre leaves the game as the all-time record holder in several categories including wins, passing yards, touchdowns and consecutive games started. A three-time MVP, The southern swashbuckler won fans over with his carefree style that epitomized the "gunslinger" moniker and made fans out of everyone from the guy next door to those already enshrined in Canton.

If in fact, Favre does not have a change of heart, his final pass of a Hall of Fame Career was an interception by the Giants' Corey Webster, setting up New York's overtime win in the NFC title game.

For the last few years, the question of whether or not Favre was going to retire has been the most debated topic during the off-season. Two years ago he let his decision linger as reports both that he was returning and that he was retiring emerged. In fact, at one point he was supposedly going to announce his retirement at his charity golf tournament. Of course, those reports ultimately proved to be false.

Then after his final game of the 2006 season, a tearing and emotional Favre appeared on national TV and seemed to be bidding the game adieu. But once again, he had a change of heart and came back for what proved to be one heck of a final hurrah.

This time, Favre has made his decision and will likely make it publicly known soon. However, like in the past, Favre could wake up any day now and decide to change his mind, although that doesn't seem likely at this point.

The team will now shift to Aaron Rodgers, a former first-round pick, who has had few opportunities to play since being selected with the 24th overall pick in the 2005 draft. But when Favre was injured in a Thursday night game against Dallas this past season, Rodgers looked pretty good in relief. The former Cal star completed 18 of 26 passes for 201 yards and a touchdown — the first of his career — and nearly rallied the Packers to the win.

Adios Brett. i always hated the sonsabitch, but he was damn good (though a bit overrated). The thing I'll never forget about him was the look on his face during the Championship game. You could tell he was finished. He didn't want to be out there in the cold and was miserable. heh

Honestly, I'm going to miss him, and so is the game. It's hard to find any player at his position before or since that played with such youthful enthusiasm and good sportsmanship (wishy-washy retirement issues the last few years notwithstanding).

I always enjoyed watching him play. Great career, Brett.

Honestly, I'm going to miss him, and so is the game. It's hard to find any player at his position before or since that played with such youthful enthusiasm and good sportsmanship (wishy-washy retirement issues the last few years notwithstanding).

Agreed 100%

Banned for posting in wrong forum!

I am sure that Favre would have stayed another year if the Pack got Moss. He has been trying to get them for the last few years and they should have given it an effort.

I loved the guy and he always had my complete respect. He was first class all the way....even when he did that silly cameo appearance in "Something About Mary" :rolleyes:

I'll never forget the statistic put up on TV before the Giants/Packers game this year by some comedian. He said that they polled the folks in Wisconsin with the question, "If you were to cheat on your spouse, who would it be with"? He said the poll results showed that "97% of the women said Brett Favre", and "only 68% of the men said Favre"! Ha....I laughed my ass off. In Wisconsin (where I'll be headed this coming Sunday), Favre is so revered that it reminds me of the time the Beatles landed in New York to do the Ed Sullivan show.

Banned for posting in wrong forum!

I am sure that Favre would have stayed another year if the Pack got Moss. He has been trying to get them for the last few years and they should have given it an effort.

You know, I'm not so sure that's the case. Greg Jennings, Donald Driver, Koren Robinson, et. al. are pretty good recievers, and Donald Lee is a good TE. He has people to throw to. I think he just felt it was time to hang it up.

Same. I know he drug out the whole retirement thing too long, and that rubs people the wrong way. But i really think it was more to do with him loving the game than it did him wanting a farewell parade. He played balls out every game, alot of players in the league could learn a thing or two from him.

Thanks for the memories Brett.

Same. I know he drug out the whole retirement thing too long, and that rubs people the wrong way. But i really think it was more to do with him loving the game than it did him wanting a farewell parade. He played balls out every game, alot of players in the league could learn a thing or two from him.

Thanks for the memories Brett.

I didn't think he played Balls out at all in the NFC championship game, he looked disinterested to me.

Favre was a good QB, but for all the passing records he has he also has the int record, and some of those int's were fucking awful. Plus he threatened retirement the last 2 season because the team wasn't good enough for him, then suddenly they were, and now they prove it by hosting the NFC champ game, and now he retires!.

I think some in Green Bay will be happy the Aaron Rodgers era begins.

I didn't think he played Balls out at all in the NFC championship game, he looked disinterested to me.

Favre was a good QB, but for all the passing records he has he also has the int record, and some of those int's were fucking awful. Plus he threatened retirement the last 2 season because the team wasn't good enough for him, then suddenly they were, and now they prove it by hosting the NFC champ game, and now he retires!.

lol sure

Let's not forget another record Favre is involved in: the single-season sack record held by Michael Strahan. Whether you believe that he took a dive or not, Favre and Strahan, two of the all-time greats and two class-act professionals will be forever tied together when they talk about that magical last sack.

How neat is that? :TU:

It is too bad Favre didn't do one more year and make it a farewell final season. It would have been more fitting but I don't think he is that type of person.

Yeah, and we all know how well a player's 'farewell' season works out. I think he did the right thing....kept his mouth shut all season long and just played. They got close, probably closer than if he said he was coming back for just one more. This way he's gone out with at least a divisional win, a conference appearance, and not a 4-12 shellacking of a 'farewell' season. Good luck, Brett, see ya on Fox.

Thats your opinion, and thats your right.

All of this is true, and it doesn't make me respect him any less and it never made me less awe struck when he fired a 90 mph fastball in the hands of a not so open receiver.

Yeah, their called Viking fans.