SportsWrath

Rumors, musings, and grapevine chatter about the Giants

BleedinBlue

I read a lot of stories from a variety of websites to try and get an insight into what's on the Giants' minds. KFFL is a great source for rumors and oddball stories so I always check that out.

1) KFFL reports that the Giants are looking at Running Backs and Reese saying, "there are some good running backs in this class." and..."just because we have good running backs doesn't mean we won't take another running back.."

2) They also report that the Giants have interviewed Tight Ends - in particular, Gary Barnidge (Louisville).

3) They have also interviewed at least 2 Offensive Linemen (Jeremy Zuttah (OG-Rutgers) and Gosder Cherilus (OT-Boston College)). Zuttah has told reporters he loves the Giants and would love to play for them, being a New Jersey boy and die hard Giants fan his whole life.

4) They report that the Giants do not plan on resigning Kuehl or Joseph, but plan on having Kawiki Mitchell signed before the free agent signing date (2/29)

5) And lastly, the Giants do not plan on using the franchise tag on any of their players.

My thoughts: First....I have to believe that Reese telling reporters that the Giants are looking at running backs and interviewing tight ends is little more than a smokescreen. I suppose if a first tier RB was available in the end rounds that the Giants might tab one, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to burn a pick only to cut them later. If they take a TE, I have to believe it would have to be a powerhouse blocking TE that had the flexibility to play other key roles.

I think we can expect the Giants to pick up an offensive lineman by the second round. I watched the combines and Zuttah (who isn't ranked that high on the list of OG's by magazine standards) came in second in the strength category to all players tested. Two players tied for first with 37 reps of 225 lbs (i.e., Jake Long and Vernon Gholsten) while Zuttah pushed up 225 lbs 35 times. He could be a diamond in the rough.

One of the questions I can't seem to figure out, is why the Giants won't use the franchise tag on a player. At worst, the tagged player still goes to another team for more money, but the Giants would get compensated two no. 1 draft picks from the team that grabs him. Anybody know why the Giants don't slap a tag on Wilson?

The Giants have never tagged any player right? I think the tagging process to the Giants FO is such an extreme measure that unless it is absolutely necessary to maintain a competitive team they won't do it.

Which is why I think they should slap it on Gibril, as Bleedin stated. Obviously, we have a competitive team, but if theres any position that would be hurt if a player left, it would be that secondary. Heck, Gibril was the only good player of those safety starters. Gettin compenstated two picks if another team grabbed him would be nice.

It wouldn't shock me to see a RB drafted. I've read that Droughns might be cut, and have heard nothing about Ward. Considering that both Jacobs and Ward went down for a few games this past season, it makes sense to have a good set of backups.

Rutgers has had a good oline over the last couple of years, and Zuttah was one of the reasons. He wouldn't be a bad pickup in the later rounds at all.

But there's a big difference between interviewing a player and drafting him. I'd be very surprised if we drafted a tight end.

It wouldn't shock me to see a RB drafted. I've read that Droughns might be cut, and have heard nothing about Ward. Considering that both Jacobs and Ward went down for a few games this past season, it makes sense to have a good set of backups.

Rutgers has had a good oline over the last couple of years, and Zuttah was one of the reasons. He wouldn't be a bad pickup in the later rounds at all.

But there's a big difference between interviewing a player and drafting him. I'd be very surprised if we drafted a tight end.

I forget where I read it, but I read somewhere that the Giants have every intention of signing Wark or Droughns...I simply forget which one they said they weren't going to let go.

Well if it was a choice between Ward and Droughns Ward was far more productive. Either way they have Jacobs as the starter, Bradshaw as the change of pace, Ward as the backup, and they need a 4th guy. They have every reason in the world to draft a RB in a draft where the RB talent is deep.

Well if it was a choice between Ward and Droughns Ward was far more productive. Either way they have Jacobs as the starter, Bradshaw as the change of pace, Ward as the backup, and they need a 4th guy. They have every reason in the world to draft a RB in a draft where the RB talent is deep.

Supposedly, the reason they let Ryan Grant get away was because they refused to part with Ward...so my guess is that Ward is the one they want to keep. Also, Danny Ware and Kay-Jay Harris are already listed on the Giants roster and I know absolutely nothing about those two. Anyone know much about them?

I have not heard anything about them, which wasn't the case with Grant last offseason. Expect the Giants to draft a RB between the 4th and 7th to either develop on the practice squad or be on the 53 man roster to be inactive unless a starter/active player goes down.

I'd love to have Ward back, and I've read that Reese and his agent had some talks, but I doubt they can re-sign him. He's gonna want to start somewhere, and I don't see how we can give him the cash he'll want. If we do re-sign him, I'll be happier than a pig in shit.

As far as Gibril, I'd like him back, but not breaking the bank to do it. I have faith in Spags and Reese to make things right at both safety positions.

Which is why I think they should slap it on Gibril, as Bleedin stated. Obviously, we have a competitive team, but if theres any position that would be hurt if a player left, it would be that secondary. Heck, Gibril was the only good player of those safety starters. Gettin compenstated two picks if another team grabbed him would be nice.

Because no one WILL grab him if he's tagged and we'd have to pay him too much. I'm not sure he's worth top 5 money, even for only one year.

I believe it would have cost $4 mil to tag Gibril. For one year, it could have been an alright deal, but if Reese plans on extending Snee, Eli, Jacobs & other key core players, then tough luck Gibril. We have a plethora of players more important to the team than Wilson to work out contracts with. Also take into account Plax, and to a lesser extent Osi & Strahan, who want more $$.

RB/TE may be the 2 positions the Giants don't need to upgrade, although with the RB injuries we had i can see where a solid backup might be wise. As for TE, it's far more likely they go after a LT and move Deihl back to guard so Suebert can back up and go back to being a blocking TE.

I think letting go of Droughns and Ward is a good idea.

Droughns is ok and definately worth the trade for carter and Ward was outstanding, but Droughns didn't show much when he was called on to start and Ward just can't stay on the field long enough to make a season.

Come to think of it, neither can BJ. Luckily it's a good rb class.

I believe it would have cost $4 mil to tag Gibril. For one year, it could have been an alright deal, but if Reese plans on extending Snee, Eli, Jacobs & other key core players, then tough luck Gibril. We have a plethora of players more important to the team than Wilson to work out contracts with. Also take into account Plax, and to a lesser extent Osi & Strahan, who want more $$.

If that's all it takes then franchise him. Having the only good safety leave is going to be a major problem on an already suspect secondary. Contracts are usually back ended anyway so the reworking of contracts shouldn't be a major hit right away. Apparently the Giants don't franchise though. Also why is Eli contract needing to be re-negotiated? Wasn't it already extended with his contract option?

If that's all it takes then franchise him. Having the only good safety leave is going to be a major problem on an already suspect secondary. Contracts are usually back ended anyway so the reworking of contracts shouldn't be a major hit right away. Apparently the Giants don't franchise though. Also why is Eli contract needing to be re-negotiated? Wasn't it already extended with his contract option?

If I remember correctly it was only extended to 2009 meaning next year Eli would be a free agent.