SportsWrath

If you are the coach....

Lubeck

I'll start.

First drive of the game, Giants are at the 5 yard line and need half a yard for the first. It is 4th down. What do you do? Field goal or go for it? And if you go for it what play would you call?

I'd go for it but go playaction. They would be expecting Jacobs so go out of a two-TE on one side and Burress on the other. Matthews lines up tight and run-blocks, Hedgecock run-blocks, Boss does a short post, and Burress does a fade. Depending on what the defense is showing hit either of the two route-runners.

Being the underdogs I don't think it hurts them in the grand scheme to go for it on a 4th that deep into NE territory and fall short. If it works and they get a TD the emotional energy that would give the Giants would be huge. Not getting it would hurt, but I think the reward outweighs the risk.

Balls to the walls baby, you go for it.

You call a running play to Jacobs and let that big bastard push

the pile.

I agree, but I'd pull that Tom Brady-esque 'statue of liberty' bullshit fake handoff to Jacobs, and pitch it to Plax.

Fake to Jacobs who bangs hard to the right pushing the pile, Eli sneaks to the left with the ball.

Come out with an onside kick.

Nobody has slowed down the Pats offense when the wind has been below 20 MPH. If the Giants don't score 7 in the red zone they lose. Giants can't be afraid to take risks. Take risks and Giants have a shot at winning and a chance of losing by 40 points. Don't take risks the Giants best case is lose a close game. And given the way the Pats offense scores, starting field position doesn't really matter go for the onside one time when the Pats would completely not expect it. If you recover huge boast. Blow it and the Pats have 20 yard better starting field position. (or one pass to Randy).

Obviously, you take the points and give your D a chance to set the tone against the Pats offense. The Giants may need to start gambling at some point tomorrow, but you don't do it on the first drive and come away empty-handed.

I am with you. First drive is no time to get beat by the Pats. Kick the field goal and hope for the best. If the Pats have already scored though, especially easily, it's the only time where it's a consideration to go for it. The Pats a re very good team and you don't want to shoot yourself in the foot on the first drive. The scoring momentum isn't going to phase the Pats but it can hurt the Giants.

I am with you. First drive is no time to get beat by the Pats. Kick the field goal and hope for the best. If the Pats have already scored though, especially easily, it's the only time where it's a consideration to go for it. The Pats a re very good team and you don't want to shoot yourself in the foot on the first drive. The scoring momentum isn't going to phase the Pats but it can hurt the Giants.

See, but theyre used to beating up on teams, and we gave them a run for thier money. If we are fortunate enough to be that close the first drive of the game, I say punch it in. Show em we aint fuckin around.

\ The scoring momentum isn't going to phase the Pats but it can hurt the Giants.

Momentum?? What fuck is momentum? How many points do you get for a momentum? Scoring 3 points ain't gonna win the game, you need 7. Take the 3 and Eli goes home with a "respectable loss" Roll the dice on 7 ya might get a win, or get your ass kicked.

FG is playing to cover the spread, TD is playing to win.

Bolts scored 4 times, Patriots scored 3 times. Bolts are watching the SB on TV.

Momentum?? What fuck is momentum? How many points do you get for a momentum? Scoring 3 points ain't gonna win the game, you need 7. Take the 3 and Eli goes home with a "respectable loss" Roll the dice on 7 ya might get a win, or get your ass kicked.

Exactly my point. ;)

The smart play is to take the fg and that's exactly what I would do.

3 pts would've put us into overtime in the last meeting.

How did you get to watch this game already? :confused:

Many a game has been won by 3pts or less, besides he's talking first drive of the game. Take chances AFTER scoring points.

Many a game has been won by 3pts or less, besides he's talking first drive of the game. Take chances AFTER scoring points.

Yeah, like one in week 17, you'd think he'd remember that.

That's exactly what I am trying to say. There is aggressive and then there is reckless. What happens if the Giants lose the SB by 2 points? Then everybody will say that Coughlin made the worst coaching decision in a SB, ever. There is no need to panic on your first drive. If you lose by 4 points then the Pats did better and deserve it but if you left 3 points on the field and lost then it's a major fuck up. The risk is too great.

I would actually give the ball to Jacobs, Pats expecting or not. If its only a half yd, chance are good he makes it. But whether its BJ up the middle or play action to one of the route runners, go for it. Send a message early.

Agreed. 5 yard line first drive, even if we fail we have them pinned real deep. plus, first drive our guys should be pretty pumped up and I don't think failing on 4th and short would take the wind out of our D's sails, especially if we got the ball first or they did and we made them punt. If they scored first, if they had the ball first and scored, i probly take the 3.

I like my chances with I formation, hedgcock leading Jacobs behind Snee. Half yard, if that big fucker can't get amped up enough to opund a half yard, put Bradshaw in.

That's exactly what I am trying to say. There is aggressive and then there is reckless. What happens if the Giants lose the SB by 2 points? Then everybody will say that Coughlin made the worst coaching decision in a SB, ever. There is no need to panic on your first drive. If you lose by 4 points then the Pats did better and deserve it but if you left 3 points on the field and lost then it's a major fuck up. The risk is too great.

Well, based on what I know of TC and BB, BB is much more likely than TC to go for it on 4th and short. But the Giants are going to have to take some chances to win.

Well, based on what I know of TC and BB, BB is much more likely than TC to go for it on 4th and short. But the Giants are going to have to take some chances to win.

I agree. Hell, it's the Superbowl, last game of the season, no more chances after this week. This game should be played lights out, balls to the wall by both teams. I'm just hoping for a good game all around. As Bill Parcells said in Superbowl XXV, "I don't mind if we lose, just don't stink up the joint". Nothing pisses me off more than when the Gmen play like a Pop Warner team could rack up 63 points on them. That said.....GO GMEN!