SportsWrath

Talking Trade Time

Allstarjim

At least a couple of you here know that I think the Giants definitely need to upgrade the #2 receiving option behind Burress. I like Amani but he has lost a step and is not a downfield threat anymore. With Plax being the only receiving option that scares defenses, it makes us too one dimensional in the passing attack. I know we still have the Bucs this weekend, and hopefully another game after that, but I still like to look ahead to see how we can improve the team next year, and there is one player out there I like who looks like he will be available via trade.

Javon Walker looks like he will be available according to NFL.com. Link

Some of you may rightfully question whether he is broke down or not. But I think he's a good gamble, and because of the injuries he's sustained in two of the last three seasons, we may be able to get him at a bargain. I'm thinking a 3rd rounder, and if need be, throw in a 6th or 7th round pick. The Broncos will want a 2nd rounder however, but I think we can get him for less. He's a veteran receiver with a Pro Bowl pedigree. He also has something you can't teach... he's 6'3" and 215 pounds. I believe that our recent drafts of undersized WR's (Steve Smith at 5'11" and Sinorice Moss at a dwarf-like 5'8") are a mistake. Look at the top wideouts in the NFL. For every Steve Smith (Carolina) and Santana Moss I can give you two big targets at Wide Receiver. T.O., Randy Moss, TJ Houshmanzadeh, Chad Johnson, our own Plaxico to name but a few. In fact, if you look at the top ten Wide Receivers in yards in the NFL this season, none are under 6'0". Only 3 come in right at an even 6'0" (Reggie Wayne, Roddy White, and Torry Holt). Out of the top 11 receivers in touchdowns this year, only one is under 6'0" (Greg Jennings 5'11"). Only one more is right at 6'0" (Reggie Wayne). Most of the big time receivers are 6'3" to 6'4", such as the aforementioned T.O., and R. Moss, to go along with Braylon Edwards, Larry Fitzgerald, Brandon Marshall, and Marques Colston. To get a guy with Javon Walker's size will help Eli because as we all know, Eli is not the most accurate of QB's, and he, maybe more than others, will need a bigger target with better reach and who can be more physical to bail out some of his throws. In fact, the only thing that is keeping me from getting truly excited about the Giants offense is the lack of another big and fast wide receiver that can stretch the field opposite Burress. Having Javon will ensure that Eli will always have a big time receiver in one on one coverage and likely in a mismatch, whether it be Burress, Walker, or Shockey. Anyhow, I think I make a compelling argument. Somebody get this to Jerry Reese.

For those wondering, the only upcoming FA WR with prototypical size and speed is Jerry Porter of the Raiders, and he's a locker room cancer. Other than that, good luck with us getting someone like Walker in the draft. We would have to use a first rounder, and we should be using that pick to upgrade the defensive secondary.

.....somebody get this to Jerry Reese.

For those wondering, the only upcoming FA WR with prototypical size and speed is Jerry Porter of the Raiders, and he's a locker room cancer. Other than that, good luck with us getting someone like Walker in the draft. We would have to use a first rounder, and we should be using that pick to upgrade the defensive secondary.

Jerry Porter on the right team could turn 'it' around a la Randy Moss. I say that team is the Giants.

Jerry Porter on the right team could turn 'it' around a la Randy Moss. I say that team is the Giants.

The more I hear "Randy Moss" the more I get ticked off knowing we could've had him on our team :furious:

Come on Tree, Smith hasn't proven he belongs yet. We're New York! Why hand him the #2 job before he earns it. He can get plenty of balls as the #3/slot receiver.

Nem - About Chad Johnson - The article suggested that although he may wish to be traded, it is unlikely the Bengals will want to trade him. Additionally, he will bring a lot more than Javon Walker. For Johnson, we would likely have to give up our 1st rounder and a later pick, especially since we have a late 1st round pick. Walker could come significantly cheaper.

Echochamber - Larry Fitzgerald signed a 6 year, $60 million deal in 2004, so no, not a FA this offseason.

Nem - About Chad Johnson - The article suggested that although he may wish to be traded, it is unlikely the Bengals will want to trade him. Additionally, he will bring a lot more than Javon Walker. For Johnson, we would likely have to give up our 1st rounder and a later pick, especially since we have a late 1st round pick. Walker could come significantly cheaper.

A first round draft pick and a late pick...Is that all? Where do I sign?

Cut Toomer and pick up Stallworth who looks like he'll be cut.

Been saying it since week 8...

I asked you before , why would you cut Him ? why not trade him ? why throw an opportunity away? I would trade Toomer for Sanders if he does not get Chised by the colts . Do the colts need Toomer probably not .but hey why not ask?