SportsWrath

Wilkinson and Mitchell

Sephiroth

Is it me... or was there little to no dropoff when Wilkinson was in there?

He was step-for-step with Moss on two TD throws (though he needs to start turning around and looking for the ball), and had some great stops in the backfield for losses.

I thought he was a more-than-adequate fill-in.

I think 'better in space' is exactly what we need from the lb position.

we're good enough at stopping the run where I don't think Mitchell's loss will hurt us too much.

It's the pass that's been killing us. Especially on 3rd down.

I didn't notice a drop off...but then again the defense was up against the Pats and wasn't playing their best. Osi kept going for the swipe rather than going for the sack. Then again he was being held most of the night.

All that said Gerris did a fine job filling in. He could start next year and we do not resign Mitchell, freeing up some cap room.

It's going to be a hell of a dilemma next season when Kiwi comes back. The first two games, I was screaming to get rid of Mitchell, but he has since come on strong. Right now, our D line and LB corps look deep, so maybe we can concentrate our draft picks on getting a receiver that can catch with his hands instead of letting the ball hit his shoulder pads. It'll certainly help out Eli when he's off the mark a little.

We can also beef up our secondary some more.

I think once he understood our system more and got used to not playing in the middle like he did with KC, Mitchell has been pretty solid for us this year and am really hoping the Giants resign him. Wilkinson did look pretty fast out there and i was a big fan of his coming out of GT but I think if we had Mitchell in there he would have been able to sniff out some of the shorter passes to Welker that we were getting killed on all day

It's going to be a hell of a dilemma next season when Kiwi comes back. The first two games, I was screaming to get rid of Mitchell, but he has since come on strong. Right now, our D line and LB corps look deep, so maybe we can concentrate our draft picks on getting a receiver that can catch with his hands instead of letting the ball hit his shoulder pads. It'll certainly help out Eli when he's off the mark a little.

We can also beef up our secondary some more.

What is this Detroit? :P In my opinion the Kiwi experiment should end and he should be put back where he belongs. We should draft a LB (or maybe a QB :P) in the first round. I wasn't surprised by Wilkinson because I remember hearing good things about him but I think he is injury prone. Hopefully he can play for at least the rest of the playoffs.

What is this Detroit? :P In my opinion the Kiwi experiment should end and he should be put back where he belongs. We should draft a LB (or maybe a QB :P) in the first round. I wasn't surprised by Wilkinson because I remember hearing good things about him but I think he is injury prone. Hopefully he can play for at least the rest of the playoffs.

which is where exactly and bench whom exactly? unless you think strahan is done, there's no room for him. on the DL. he was making solid progress as LB and his athleticism presents all kinds of problems for the offensive game plan.

which is where exactly and bench whom exactly? unless you think strahan is done, there's no room for him. on the DL. he was making solid progress as LB and his athleticism presents all kinds of problems for the offensive game plan.

Well Kiwa shouldn't "Stra" to far from the DL Strahan still is not sure about next year . He wants contingencies next year I have a feeling he will be back though.

Blu, he was doing fine as long as he was in blitz packages but after that he wasn't making significant progress at all. I agree 100% that the experiment should end, it should never have started in the first place.

Blu, he was doing fine as long as he was in blitz packages but after that he wasn't making significant progress at all. I agree 100% that the experiment should end, it should never have started in the first place.

well yah, you're certainly entitled to your opinion, i thinksignificant progress was made considering he had little prep time. but i'll ask again, put him where?

well yah, you're certainly entitled to your opinion, i thinksignificant progress was made considering he had little prep time. but i'll ask again, put him where?

He's better off at defensive end obviously, but he could do a Tuck and play some DT especially in third and long situations. Yes he would be undersized but his speed would counter that. He simply has too many problems in coverage, IMO. Strahan and Osi will need a blow in every game so there's going to be plenty of chances for him to play.

which is where exactly and bench whom exactly? unless you think Strahan is done, there's no room for him. on the DL. he was making solid progress as LB and his athleticism presents all kinds of problems for the offensive game plan.

The one thing I 110% agree with EA is that you cannot have too many pass rushers. When the Giants D was getting pressure with the 4 Aces package the D looked stellar. Having too many DLinemen is not a problem as far as I am concerned and it's only Kiwi's 3rd year. Strahan will retire eventually and either Osi or Strahan could get injured. Kiwi is signed until 2011 so he can wait and get better and better and then replace Strahan (who I highly doubt will still be playing in 2011). I see your point though that there is definitely roster juggling with the talent the Giants have on the line. I just think that drafting a LB is a much better way to go than trying to convert Kiwi.

The one thing I 110% agree with EA is that you cannot have too many pass rushers. When the Giants D was getting pressure with the 4 Aces package the D looked stellar. Having too many DLinemen is not a problem as far as I am concerned and it's only Kiwi's 3rd year. Strahan will retire eventually and either Osi or Strahan could get injured. Kiwi is signed until 2011 so he can wait and get better and better and then replace Strahan (who I highly doubt will still be playing in 2011). I see your point though that there is definitely roster juggling with the talent the Giants have on the line. I just think that drafting a LB is a much better way to go than trying to convert Kiwi.

yes, it's certainly a dilemma, but a good one. considering LB's seem to take a year or so to develop, we may see kiwi play a hybrid role next year as well and then slide into Strahan's spot the following year. I see safety as more of a need than LB's this off season.

If Wilkinson has the speed to cover Moss from the LB position, couldn't he be remolded into a SS? We could sure use him there.

He never really had the speed, both passes were in the back of the endzone and he was a good foot off Moss with his front to him. The first pass he got lucky on and wasent flagged and the second one..well he was flagged for it, I say leave him as a LB and let him use his speed to get to the RB.

He never really had the speed, both passes were in the back of the endzone and he was a good foot off Moss with his front to him. The first pass he got lucky on and wasent flagged and the second one..well he was flagged for it, I say leave him as a LB and let him use his speed to get to the RB.

It was pretty tight coverage both times, especially for an LB on a WR. I assume he was out on coverage more than just those two times as well.

That second one (the flag) was bullshit IMO. Hand slapping between players isn't PI.

It was pretty tight coverage both times, especially for an LB on a WR. I assume he was out on coverage more than just those two times as well.

That second one (the flag) was bullshit IMO. Hand slapping between players isn't PI.

He never turned his head, which even a DB will get called for. The first one would have been a PI call but thankfully it went off his head and wasent a catchable ball by moss.

He never turned his head, which even a DB will get called for. The first one would have been a PI call but thankfully it went off his head and wasent a catchable ball by moss.

The turning the head thing is for making contact while playing the ball though. Wilkinson didn't push or knock Moss, just ticky-tack hand on hand stuff.

The turning the head thing is for making contact while playing the ball though. Wilkinson didn't push or knock Moss, just ticky-tack hand on hand stuff.

Well unfortunately all DBs will get called for that, thats just how the rule is any contact made on a catchable ball without turning the head is an automatic PI. If he had his head turned then it wouldn't have been anything.

Anyways back to the original point. I say keep him at LB and let him use his speed there, side line to side line and stopping the run in the backfield.