SportsWrath

Say Hello To Coach

xxi-xxv

Sure his resume looks good with 3 playoff appearances, but does that record really reflect how this team has been since he's gotten here? The Panthers shoved their claws right up our asses in '05, we barely slid in last year (with someone else's loss getting us the last wild card) only to lose to the Egals, and while we will go in with a better record this year, have we beaten anyone that was worth a damn? Don't get me wrong, it's great not to be in the basement, and realistically, you're right, Coughlin will get a deal in the off season. I'm just saying one season doesn't wipe out the last 3, and we've yet to finish this one.

Sure his resume looks good with 3 playoff appearances, but does that record really reflect how this team has been since he's gotten here? The Panthers shoved their claws right up our asses in '05, we barely slid in last year (with someone else's loss getting us the last wild card) only to lose to the Egals, and while we will go in with a better record this year, have we beaten anyone that was worth a damn? Don't get me wrong, it's great not to be in the basement, and realistically, you're right, Coughlin will get a deal in the off season. I'm just saying one season doesn't wipe out the last 3, and we've yet to finish this one.

Wow, very pessimistic rik. How many teams in the nfl would like to have our last 3 years?

28-17, a division title, and 3 straight playoff dances (assuming we lock it up)

There's no shame in losing to the Panthers in '05. They beat us at home, beat Chicago at home and eventually lost to the NFC rep in the superbowl. They were a good defensive team, and our defense was decimated.

Last year we would've fared better than 8-8 without the numerous injuries. And yeah it's a part of the game. Part of the game that most teams don't overcome. At least not that many injuries.

So we squeaked into the playoffs. We earned it with our first half performance.

I think it's not a disappointment, but a sign of good things to come. Even if we're one and done. It's not like this franchise has always been a powerhouse.

That's one way of looking at it, I guess.

The way I look at it is that at the beginning of the season, Coughlin was under fire from both his players and the media... some were saying he was the reason why Tiki retired prematurely. It was his fault Eli's development was stunted, he couldn't relate to the modern player, the game had passed hm by... etc.

Well, sitting at 9-4, that all looks kind of silly now (though I still say we're finishing 8-8... just watch :P).

The guy can coach. Is he still too married to his assistants? Yep. Does he still look like he missed the bus every time a call goes against us? Yep. But he took what looked like an impossible season where he had every built-in excuse to fail and put this team in the playoffs.

I'd say that gets him a new contract.

Wow, very pessimistic rik. How many teams in the nfl would like to have our last 3 years?

28-17, a division title, and 3 straight playoff dances (assuming we lock it up)

There's no shame in losing to the Panthers in '05. They beat us at home, beat Chicago at home and eventually lost to the NFC rep in the superbowl. They were a good defensive team, and our defense was decimated.

Last year we would've fared better than 8-8 without the numerous injuries. And yeah it's a part of the game. Part of the game that most teams don't overcome. At least not that many injuries.

So we squeaked into the playoffs. We earned it with our first half performance.

I think it's not a disappointment, but a sign of good things to come. Even if we're one and done. It's not like this franchise has always been a powerhouse.

I didn't mean to sound pessimistic, it's just that the same way as people are ready to 'rebuild' at every loss, they're also ready to hand out contracts after a win (not you, XXI-XXV, just people in general). I've been a pretty big homer for a very long time, but as I get older, I am able to look at the big picture and thru the cracks. We're 9-4....great....really, seriously, I'm exstatic. But if it were any of us fans out in the workplace, and we were doing our jobs (not excelling, but doing our jobs), we would be paid accordingly. For the management to basically put Coughlin on notice before the season started tells me they weren't just not impressed with last year, but his overall performance.

I see your point Rik, but at this point, who would you rather have?

If Coughlin gets a new contract, he's going to have a lot more freedom than he had this year. We got lucky with Spags, but Gilbride was a neccessity... no one wanted to be the OC for a team that had a lame-duck coach. I'm not saying he's going to fire Gilbride, but if he sucks, we'll at least have options in the future.

The Giants are showing they can overcome adversity and win, despite almost everything working against them. We still need better QB play and more consistency overall, especially in the second half of the season, but we should be able to land a few more impact free agents this offseason and be a better team... and rumor has it we'll be looking for the "Plan B" QB this offseason as well, which can only be good both for Eli and the team.

I guess my point is, unless your last name is Cowher or Belichick... I can't see a better guy for the New York Giants at this point.

I see your point Rik, but at this point, who would you rather have?

If Coughlin gets a new contract, he's going to have a lot more freedom than he had this year. We got lucky with Spags, but Gilbride was a neccessity... no one wanted to be the OC for a team that had a lame-duck coach. I'm not saying he's going to fire Gilbride, but if he sucks, we'll at least have options in the future.

The Giants are showing they can overcome adversity and win, despite almost everything working against them. We still need better QB play and more consistency overall, especially in the second half of the season, but we should be able to land a few more impact free agents this offseason and be a better team... and rumor has it we'll be looking for the "Plan B" QB this offseason as well, which can only be good both for Eli and the team.

I guess my point is, unless your last name is Cowher or Belichick... I can't see a better guy for the New York Giants at this point.

Honestly, I don't know who I'd rather have. I guess I was trying to make more of a point on job performance overall as opposed to bitching about Coughlin. I guess I digressed a bit.

Nesta loves settling for mediocrity.

1. 11-5/9-4 isn't mediocrity. 9-4 would put us on top of about 4 other divisions in the league right now.

2. Making the playoffs 3 years in a row isn't mediocrity. It's something we haven't done since the mid-eighties.

3. We are a fairly young team at most positions, and this season is an indicator of good things to come. Even if we're one and done, we overachieved. No one had us higher than 3rd place in the East. We still need work in key positions, but there is a solid base to work with here.

4. Is Spags mediocre? I'd hate to lose him just because we don't want Coughlin. The only person I really want to see replaced would be Gilbride.

Gilbride HAS to go this year. I can't survive another season of flacid redzone chokes.

Beat DC next week, and then rest Plaxico until the playoffs.

Let's see how Plax and Eli play in Round 1, and then let's judge Gilbride.

I didn't mean to sound pessimistic, it's just that the same way as people are ready to 'rebuild' at every loss, they're also ready to hand out contracts after a win (not you, XXI-XXV, just people in general). I've been a pretty big homer for a very long time, but as I get older, I am able to look at the big picture and thru the cracks. We're 9-4....great....really, seriously, I'm exstatic. But if it were any of us fans out in the workplace, and we were doing our jobs (not excelling, but doing our jobs), we would be paid accordingly. For the management to basically put Coughlin on notice before the season started tells me they weren't just not impressed with last year, but his overall performance.

I was pointing out that he probably will be here for a while going forward. It's not that I necessarily agree or disagree with it, but in all likelihood he will be here a while. I guess as a fan I will embrace it and hope that this 3 years is the start of even better endings than simply just making the playoffs.

I'm judging him on the 3rd & Long draw plays.

Tree, I am no fan of Gilbride's but with Burress playing mostly on one leg, Moss who has been a bust and Smith getting splinters in his butt on IR we simply don't have the receivers we need. When Plax could stretch the field he & Eli were a formidable duo. Let's see Smith & Plax both healthy & then we can judge.

I think Coughlin has done an outstanding job of changing enough so that his players don't hate him.

If we have to keep Coughlin in order to keep spags, then I'm all down for it.

why would that scenario come up? i don't think spags has any loyalty to cough. what you'd have to worry about there is if andy reid stepped down, eagles might interview spags to be HC. (just my own speculation)

why would that scenario come up? i don't think spags has any loyalty to cough. what you'd have to worry about there is if andy reid stepped down, eagles might interview spags to be HC. (just my own speculation)

In all likely hood they would talk to Jim Johnson first .

im reserving judgment till the season is over, but like i said in another thread, if the season ended today and we lost in the first round i probably wouldn't fire him

Wow Midas what a 180 for you from last year. I guess I would also though, Coughlin seemed a lot different this year . More Player Friendly and I think that showed all year. we have the Nucleus now we have to the whole thing put together in the right fashion. we should Seriously look at a new OC and a new fitness trainer. also our Special teams that seemed to of dropped off needs to be tweeked either by play scheme, players or coaching.

Bradshaw looks great on Kick returns ... also why not put Tyree back in for punt returns . Mc1/4's got lucky this week .

i'm trying to be fair to him but like i said, i'm reserving judgment till after the season is over. i've never disliked the guy's attitude. my main arguments last season was all the boneheaded gameday decisions, play calling, offensive system in general, the fact that he lost the locker room, the fact that he blamed injuries after declaring them a mental thing when he was hired and claiming he'd fix this so-called mental problem, and the penalties. but ownership gave him another chance, and so did the players, so i should too.

New head coaches like to bring in their own people. 90% of the time anyway.