SportsWrath

Simeon Rice to visit on Monday.

fishgutmartyr

So if this is a hold-out, it's really working out well for Mike...

Sources: Simeon Rice to visit Giants on Monday

If Michael Strahan decides to retire, he could be replaced by his biggest nemesis, Simeon Rice.

The 33-year-old Rice is scheduled to visit the Giants on Monday, according to multiple NFL sources. He became available when he was cut by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Thursday after he failed a physical and refused to take a pay cut.

The Giants will likely give him a physical and take a close look at the shoulder that cost him eight games last season. Rice, who was scheduled to make $7.25 million this season, told reporters in Tampa Bay it could be three more weeks before he’s fully healed.

The news of the Giants’ flirtation with Rice is not likely to sit well with Strahan. The two have a had a long-running war of words that dates back to 1998. It last boiled over last August when Rice said “Year in and year out, Michael Strahan is a great player. But he’s still not me.”

“He seems to be a little bit jealous of something,” Strahan responded. “I don’t know what it is.”

The 6-5, 268-pound Rice, a veteran of 11 NFL seasons, is second to Strahan on the NFL’s sack list among active players with 121 (Strahan has 132-1/2). When he was waived by the Bucs, he said “I’m the best that ever did it and they never gave me my props.”

Strahan, meanwhile, played phone tag with Tom Coughlin again today. The two have left several messages with each other, but have still not spoken, according to sources. Strahan has missed the first two days of Giants training camp while apparently contemplating retirement.

Looks like Reese is not a man to trifle with.

He failed a physical and refused to take a pay cut.???? Smells bad.

Yeah, I was thinking the same ting. I would never want to lose the best DE in the game, poss. of all time. But he's on the end of his rope, and normally getting Rice woul sound great, but I dont know about the physical and pay cut stuff. We dont need distractions like that.

That isn't a distraction, Strahan being a whiny little bitch is a distraction.

Ok so it is a visit...nothing more so far. Could be as little as a way for the team to pressure Strahan into getting to camp. Bring in his arch-nemesis and talk to him about being Strahans replacement. Reese is just fighting a REALLY dirty move on Strahans part and the fact is Rice is the best DE on the open market right now.

As far as Rices attitude is concerned about the injury and pay cut, he says he will be 100% in 3 weeks. If that is true he must figure why should he take a paycut when he will be back to the level he was at that got him that salary. If the Bucs drop him no big deal like I said he is the best DE on the market he will bank in with another team.

Bringing him in is almost necessary and I would be disappointed in Reese if he didn't after Strahan pulled that douche bag move he did.

That isn't a distraction, Strahan being a whiny little bitch is a distraction.

Ok so it is a visit...nothing more so far. Could be as little as a way for the team to pressure Strahan into getting to camp. Bring in his arch-nemesis and talk to him about being Strahans replacement. Reese is just fighting a REALLY dirty move on Strahans part and the fact is Rice is the best DE on the open market right now.

As far as Rices attitude is concerned about the injury and pay cut, he says he will be 100% in 3 weeks. If that is true he must figure why should he take a paycut when he will be back to the level he was at that got him that salary. If the Bucs drop him no big deal like I said he is the best DE on the market he will bank in with another team.

Bringing him in is almost necessary and I would be disappointed in Reese if he didn't after Strahan pulled that douche bag move he did.

All you are saying is true.

But I don't think EA would ever have done this.

Personally, I wouldn't go too hard after Rice (I think he'd be too much/too old/too into decline), but if he can be gotten for less due to the "piss off Strahan factor," then why not?

I'm not overly worried. Even if Stahan does retire, which I doubt, we're still better off than last year when Strahan, Osi and Tuck went down at the same time. Absolute worst case scenario would be Strahan actually retires, and we have Tuck go in. If Tuck fails, we move Kiwi, and let either Blackburn or Wilkinson be the 3rd backer. We'd still be better at the linebacker spot than last year; Osi has already proven he's a probowl calibur DE, and I think we should start getting more push from the center with Cofield getting more experience. And that's assuming Alford does nothing this year.

Did Accorsi curse us with that "Can't have too many pass rushers" comment? Jeez louise...

EA wouldn't go after a pass rusher?!

Seriously though I have HIGH hopes for Kiwi at the SAM position. Anything that gets him back do being a down-player is a bad thing. Reese could be thinking the same way I am in that Kiwi needs to be cemented in the SAM spot and not in limbo between SAM and DE depending on the health situation at DE. Bring in a proven DE and keep Kiwi at SAM would be my call.

Another player I have high hopes for is Alford who you mentioned. He was a big pass-rushing DT in college and he should be a really good sub-DT on passing downs. With him putting pressure up the middle and Cofield having another year in him...and lets not forget Robbins here.....our DEs should hopefully have more to work with. Especially if we can keep Kiwi at SAM and have him bringing pressure off the edge.

No, I meant EA wasn't one for playing hardball.

Seriously though I have HIGH hopes for Kiwi at the SAM position. Anything that gets him back do being a down-player is a bad thing. Reese could be thinking the same way I am in that Kiwi needs to be cemented in the SAM spot and not in limbo between SAM and DE depending on the health situation at DE. Bring in a proven DE and keep Kiwi at SAM would be my call.

Another player I have high hopes for is Alford who you mentioned. He was a big pass-rushing DT in college and he should be a really good sub-DT on passing downs. With him putting pressure up the middle and Cofield having another year in him...and lets not forget Robbins here.....our DEs should hopefully have more to work with. Especially if we can keep Kiwi at SAM and have him bringing pressure off the edge.

It looked like Kiwi could do the job: 2 INTs as a DE isn't something to scoff at. We'll see.

I have hopes for Alford as well, but as he is a rookie, I'd rather not expect too much this season. We were really lucky with Cofield holding up as well as he did last season. If Alford isn't a huge factor this year, it won't upset me: if he adds anything, I'll be pleased. Not that he's particularly worried about that, but you know what I mean...

Robbins is a mixed bag: if he wants to play at a probowl level, he can--as far as I'm concerned, he proved it last year. But keep in mind how bad he came in to 2005 camp--he came close to eating his way off the team. I'm hoping that he has gone beyond that, and has a 2nd consecutive great season.

But I do think that we'll see more pockets collapsing this year.

Personally, I think converting Kiwi into a LB is a huge mistake. ( Hopefully I wrong.) I just finished watching some of our games from last year. And on the plays where he was standing up, he looked awkward and a little stiff to play the LB position. Maybe it me, I don't know. I just don't see it.

I also have hopes for Alford. This looks very promissing and steel in this years draft.

haha, this is the ONE guy strahan will be pissed to see take his place

Good then... if Strahan doesn't want to play we get a guy that does... One of my good friends told me that he thinks Stra is going to sit out this last year of his contract and try to get a good deal with aanother team... at first I thought it was bogus, but now I'm seriously thinking that's what he's going to do... he wants to play on a team that has a way better chance of winning a SB, and he DOESN'T think the Giants have a chance... fuck him... we had him in his prime.. just like Jesse Armstead and Carl Banks... You have to know when to cut your ties. Which to me means Rice isn't a good option either... I want a durable player. Neither Strahan or Rice fit those shoes... I think we need to put Kiwi back in there and tweak our LB position with other players... just my opinion

IMO strahan just wants to get paid or cut a few weeks off training camp. sitting out a year will lower his value and he has two years left on his deal anyway. the truth is strahan has no leverage at all and will have to come back with his tail between his legs. i dont think the giants have any interest in signing simeon rice, i think this is being done to piss strahan off and get him back to camp. my respect for jerry reese just went up 10 fold and this is coming from a huge strahan fan

IMO strahan just wants to get paid or cut a few weeks off training camp. sitting out a year will lower his value and he has two years left on his deal anyway. the truth is strahan has no leverage at all and will have to come back with his tail between his legs. i don't think the giants have any interest in signing simeon rice, i think this is being done to piss strahan off and get him back to camp. my respect for jerry reese just went up 10 fold and this is coming from a huge strahan fan

That's what it looks like. Reese seems to turn down injured players and why would he want a cut player who failed his physical. I am sure this is just Reese giving Strahan a signal that no player is bigger than the team. Don't want to play, then we will find somebody who does. When Reese cut all our deadwood right away I had respect for him.

The only bad thing about this is we do sign Rice, we would

have two DE's who can't stop the run worth shit.

????

The other DE being???? :confused:

Remind me who had problems stopping the run, because thats our front sevens strong point.

????

The other DE being???? :confused:

Remind me who had problems stopping the run, because thats our front sevens strong point.

I think he's saying IF we sign Rice...we'd have Rice AND Strahan, who neither one could stop the run. Strahan is a very good run stopper, Rice may not be.

I think he's saying IF we sign Rice...we'd have Rice AND Strahan, who neither one could stop the run. Strahan is a very good run stopper, Rice may not be.

Got ya.

It just makes absolutley no sense that Strahan would do this, that prick aint got a leg to stand on.

More Garafolo

In a nutshell, the fine machine is in the "on" position...and Osi isn't thrilled with the idea of Rice on the team.

I can understand how he feels, but can these guys talk to people in the lockerroom that don't have microphones?

3 days into camp an these guys are already pissing me off. If they don't clamp down, and soon, this season is going to be a clusterfuck of legendary proportions.

No no. Strahan is probably the most complete defensive end I've ever

seen, he could stop the run to a halt.

I meant Osi Umenyiora, he cannot stop the run worth shit.

He gets so wide on the edges, teams exploit it.

More Garafolo

In a nutshell, the fine machine is in the "on" position...and Osi isn't thrilled with the idea of Rice on the team.

I can understand how he feels, but can these guys talk to people in the lockerroom that don't have microphones?

3 days into camp an these guys are already pissing me off. If they don't clamp down, and soon, this season is going to be a clusterfuck of legendary proportions.

It was a clusterfuck the second they kept Coughlin

as head coach.