SportsWrath

Does any one get the feeling that

NeMesiS

Does any one get the feeling that moving Mathis Kiwanuka to LB is Jerry Reese and Tom Coughlin idea? I didn't get that Steve Spagnuolo wanted to move mathis. What do you guys think?

I think its a bad, bad, idea....

I think it's a bad idea, not that I don't want to see him play, because I think he's a stud. But with all the injuries at DE last year, I don't see how it's a good move.

IMO, the comments made by Reese that they had a linebacker all the time I think is a ruse. They looked into linebackers in the off season, they just had no luck. I think when Wilson failed the physical, then they made the decision because it affected the draft choice. Based on what you hear, that even though we thought that linebacker was the biggest issue, the Giants FO clearly had bigger concerns about the secondary. Now we're hearing that Webster is hurt again, so maybe that was a major influence on how they picked.

I think it's a bad idea, not that I don't want to see him play, because I think he's a stud. But with all the injuries at DE last year, I don't see how it's a good move.

IMO, the comments made by Reese that they had a linebacker all the time I think is a ruse. They looked into linebackers in the off season, they just had no luck. I think when Wilson failed the physical, then they made the decision because it affected the draft choice. Based on what you hear, that even though we thought that linebacker was the biggest issue, the Giants FO clearly had bigger concerns about the secondary. Now we're hearing that Webster is hurt again, so maybe that was a major influence on how they picked.

He can play either position for all I care. Kindda like the same way we jugle our OL due to injuries. I'm caustiously optimistic it's going to turn out just fine.

I cant say if it's bad or good yet. Have to wait and see. He has the speed to move into the position, pretty decent coverage skills. I keep thinking in mind Harry Carson. He became a hall of famer making the switch from DT to LB.

I cant say if it's bad or good yet. Have to wait and see. He has the speed to move into the position, pretty decent coverage skills. I keep thinking in mind Harry Carson. He became a hall of famer making the switch from DT to LB.

And for the era he played in ....he was pretty oversized at MLB or ILB, but he still did a great job.

Wilson failing the physical was a precursor to Kawika Mitchell. Wilson would have played the WILL spot here. As for Mathias as the Sam LB I think you have to look at 3 things in terms of this. 1)is that he proved he can go get after the passerm which is something you will ask a sam lber to do, 2)he proved to be better in coverage than some of the grabage we trotted out there last year as he had 2 ints in a limited role in coverage and 3)you have to get your best players on the field. When he was drafted I remember Kiper saying he may wind up as a better 3/4 OLB. Although we are not yet a 3/4 team this could be indicative of the route they go post Strahan. If we did not have 2 good De's and a good backup on the roster I would agree this is silly, but he is a tremdous athlete and really is no different in size than many current SAM lbers in the game.

If nothing else and it does not work out at the very worst he is back to being a DE. It's worth the shot in at least trying it.

If there's an injury to the d-line he's right back there. As soon as he's got the lb'er playbook down he'll be doing double duty. It's not like he's no longer availbable.

He will not see Dl time this season. He's the WILL LB and thats his post now. Tuck will replace any hurt De's... and god we are past the hurt now... right..? :unsure:

He will not see Dl time this season. He's the WILL LB and thats his post now. Tuck will replace any hurt De's... and god we are past the hurt now... right..? :unsure:

One of the coaches, I think it was Spag, said he'd pull double duty especially on 3rd and long. They just want to make sure he's got the lb'er playbook down first.

I get the feeling it's a bad idea as well, because NO WAY do Strahan, Tuck, and Osi make it a full 16 games.

Then we end up with Adrian Awasom. :unsure:

In the meantime, we didn't draft any LBers last year (DeMeco Ryans) or this year (Poz), so now we have to take our best reserve DE and play him out of position.

Kiwi will be back at DE by week 10.

how is it a bad move? you give a player with great potential that hasnt been on the field a chance to make some plays and you fill two holes.

I agree he has tremendous upside and no downside - he is big fast and can cover. We know he can get after the QB so I think it's a good move. Tuck will play alot more this year spelling Osi and Strahan & watch the kid DeOssie. he will become a terrific player IMO. Fastest LB in the draft and the only knock was he played in the Ivy League.

The good news he was a dominant player on a team that had few standouts as I recall so let's give this a wait & see attitude.

I get the feeling it's a bad idea as well, because NO WAY do Strahan, Tuck, and Osi make it a full 16 games.

Then we end up with Adrian Awasom. :unsure:

In the meantime, we didn't draft any LBers last year (DeMeco Ryans) or this year (Poz), so now we have to take our best reserve DE and play him out of position.

Kiwi will be back at DE by week 10.

He might be out of position, but from what I read he'll be blitzed a LOT. More than usual just to keep him out of pass coverage. How can he not have success with that. If only guys could stay healthy. Stra needs more money, maybe he'll play 16 this year.

he is actually the SAM linebacker or strong side linebacker.

From what I've been told, switching Kiwi to LB was in the works months ago.

When the Wilson trade fell through, Mitchell was their Plan B. The only other starting-caliber LB that they showed real interest in was Cato June, and they decided not to sign him...