SportsWrath

We just signed a RB and WR

jerseygiantfan

Giants send Carter to Cleveland for Droughns

By Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

Filling their need for a proven running back to team with youngster Brandon Jacobs, the New York Giants on Friday acquired Reuben Droughns from the Cleveland Browns in exchange for wide receiver Tim Carter, ESPN.com has learned.

Cleveland has been shopping Droughns in trade talks since signing unrestricted free agent tailback Jamal Lewis to a one-year contract earlier this week. The Giants were seeking a tailback to replace the retired Tiki Barber.

Droughns, 28, should provide the Giants a solid insurance policy and a veteran and tested back who can share the ball-carrying chores with Jacobs, a two-year veteran. Jacobs has been the complementary back to Barber, playing mostly in short-yardage and goal-line situations in his two NFL seasons.

A fourth-round pick in the 2005 draft, Jacobs has logged only 134 career carries for 522 yards, but has scored 16 touchdowns. Last season, the former Southern Illinois standout rushed for 423 yards and nine TDs on 96 attempts.

Droughns came to the Browns from Denver in a 2005 trade after rushing for 1,240 yards in 2004. He gained 1,232 yards in 2005, his first year in Cleveland, and the Browns rewarded him with a three-year contract extension worth $12 million. But Droughns slumped to 758 yards in 2006 and there have been some off-field problems in the past year.

He was due a $1.75 million roster bonus on March 17 but the Browns wanted to avoid paying it, especially after acquiring Lewis, who has already been penciled in as the starter. Droughns is scheduled to have a base salary of $1.25 million for 2007 and is due base salaries of $1.75 million for '08 and $2.75 million for '09 under his Cleveland contract. It was not immediately known if he reworked his contract to help accommodate the trade.

For Carter, the deal represents a chance for a fresh start after five injury-marred seasons with the Giants.

"Tim is absolutely excited about this opportunity," agent Pat Dye Jr. said on Friday afternoon. "In discussing Tim's situation with the Giants, we wanted to identify some teams who might be a good fit for him if New York decided to deal him. Obviously the Browns, who were looking for the kind of deep-threat dimension he brings to the table, were the most proactive."

Carter, 27, was a second-round choice of the Giants in 2002. The former Auburn standout possesses sprinter's speed, but a series of injuries have kept him from fulfilling his potential. He has 72 career receptions for 967 yards and three touchdowns in 33 games, including 11 starts. Last season, Carter started eight games and had 22 catches for 253 yards and two touchdowns.

In an active market, Droughns is the fourth starting-caliber tailback to be traded in the past week. The other tailbacks to be traded were Tatum Bell (from Denver to Detroit), Thomas Jones (from Chicago to the New York Jets) and Willis McGahee (from Buffalo to Baltimore).

Senior writer Len Pasquarelli covers the NFL for ESPN.com.

Giants send Carter to Cleveland for Droughns

By Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

Filling their need for a proven running back to team with youngster Brandon Jacobs, the New York Giants on Friday acquired Reuben Droughns from the Cleveland Browns in exchange for wide receiver Tim Carter, ESPN.com has learned.

Cleveland has been shopping Droughns in trade talks since signing unrestricted free agent tailback Jamal Lewis to a one-year contract earlier this week. The Giants were seeking a tailback to replace the retired Tiki Barber.

Droughns, 28, should provide the Giants a solid insurance policy and a veteran and tested back who can share the ball-carrying chores with Jacobs, a two-year veteran. Jacobs has been the complementary back to Barber, playing mostly in short-yardage and goal-line situations in his two NFL seasons.

A fourth-round pick in the 2005 draft, Jacobs has logged only 134 career carries for 522 yards, but has scored 16 touchdowns. Last season, the former Southern Illinois standout rushed for 423 yards and nine TDs on 96 attempts.

Droughns came to the Browns from Denver in a 2005 trade after rushing for 1,240 yards in 2004. He gained 1,232 yards in 2005, his first year in Cleveland, and the Browns rewarded him with a three-year contract extension worth $12 million. But Droughns slumped to 758 yards in 2006 and there have been some off-field problems in the past year.

He was due a $1.75 million roster bonus on March 17 but the Browns wanted to avoid paying it, especially after acquiring Lewis, who has already been penciled in as the starter. Droughns is scheduled to have a base salary of $1.25 million for 2007 and is due base salaries of $1.75 million for '08 and $2.75 million for '09 under his Cleveland contract. It was not immediately known if he reworked his contract to help accommodate the trade.

For Carter, the deal represents a chance for a fresh start after five injury-marred seasons with the Giants.

"Tim is absolutely excited about this opportunity," agent Pat Dye Jr. said on Friday afternoon. "In discussing Tim's situation with the Giants, we wanted to identify some teams who might be a good fit for him if New York decided to deal him. Obviously the Browns, who were looking for the kind of deep-threat dimension he brings to the table, were the most proactive."

Carter, 27, was a second-round choice of the Giants in 2002. The former Auburn standout possesses sprinter's speed, but a series of injuries have kept him from fulfilling his potential. He has 72 career receptions for 967 yards and three touchdowns in 33 games, including 11 starts. Last season, Carter started eight games and had 22 catches for 253 yards and two touchdowns.

In an active market, Droughns is the fourth starting-caliber tailback to be traded in the past week. The other tailbacks to be traded were Tatum Bell (from Denver to Detroit), Thomas Jones (from Chicago to the New York Jets) and Willis McGahee (from Buffalo to Baltimore).

Senior writer Len Pasquarelli covers the NFL for ESPN.com.

This deal makes me happy.

1. The Giants FINALLY did something.

2. Tim Carter is gone? Wonderful!

3. We traded a bum below-average WR for an average or greater RB and we didn't give up anything else? Smashing!

This deal makes me happy.

1. The Giants FINALLY did something.

2. Tim Carter is gone? Wonderful!

3. We traded a bum below-average WR for an average or greater RB and we didn't give up anything else? Smashing!

Absolutely. Excellent work by Reese & Co.

I guess it's alright. I mean we traded a nobody for a nobody. So in actuality we filled a hole by opening another already hole up more. I guess I'm just excited we, or I should say Reese, finally did something. It really doesn't make much sense to me though. We have a big back already, why add another?

I guess it's alright. I mean we traded a nobody for a nobody. So in actuality we filled a hole by opening another already hole up more. I guess I'm just excited we, or I should say Reese, finally did something. It really doesn't make much sense to me though. We have a big back already, why add another?

If TC can somehow manage to play smash mouth football for an entire game, could you imagine how tired defenses would be after BJ gets 15 to 20 carries and Droughns gets 10-15?

If TC can somehow manage to play smash mouth football for an entire game, could you imagine how tired defenses would be after BJ gets 15 to 20 carries and Droughns gets 10-15?

haha right, we are just going to throw 40 times again. We didn't do it last year, what makes us think things are going to change?

Cool. I'm happy with it. I think this will turn out to be a good trade for us. Carter never turned out to be anything, even when he was given a shot at the #2 spot after Amani went down.

We can replace Carter in the 5th round. You know that.

Absolutely. Excellent work by Reese & Co.

Well lets wait untill week 7 to see how "Excellent" Reee and Co. really are. :ph34r:

YES TIM CARTER IS GONE

TIM CARTER IS GONE

Its a win win for us we pick up a Vet back up for BJ...And we dump that waste of a WR....Good Job Reese Witherspoon :P

We can replace Carter in the 5th round. You know that.

Well, I for one wish Carter luck. Maybe you can make something of youself on the Browns roster. :)