Giants now players for Briggs

gateb

link

Giants: Old friendship may help lure Briggs

Thursday, February 01, 2007

BY MIKE GARAFOLO

Star-Ledger Staff

MIAMI -- Antonio Pierce is at it again.

One year after recruiting LaVar Arrington, the Giants' man in the middle is trying to convince another Pro Bowl linebacker to join him in East Rutherford: the Bears' Lance Briggs. It would create an ideal scenario for Pierce -- Arrington, his teammate with the Redskins, on one side with Briggs, his longtime friend and fellow Arizona Wildcat, on the other.

Advertisement

"I talked to him about that," Briggs said yesterday, four days before the Bears face the Colts in the Super Bowl. "I told him, 'If it doesn't work out in Chicago, maybe.'"

Briggs' comments about the Giants came one day after he told reporters he wants to remain with the Bears.

"Sometimes you sacrifice some dough to win championships," he said.

Pierce could not be reached for comment yesterday, but one Giants defensive player said Pierce has reached out to Briggs on multiple occasions in recent weeks. The player, who requested anonymity because Briggs won't be a free agent until March 2, said Pierce feels the Giants need another playmaker at linebacker.

The only question is whether Pierce will get a chance to lure Briggs, 26, to the Giants. The fourth-year veteran leads Chicago with 16 total tackles in the playoffs after recording 130 in the regular season, so the Bears will make a big push to retain him. They also could slap the franchise tag on him by the Feb. 22 deadline.

Briggs' agent is Drew Rosenhaus, who also represents Pierce. Rosenhaus could demand a deal more lucrative than the seven-year, $54-million contract (with $18 million guaranteed) the Seahawks gave Julian Peterson last year. Before this season, Briggs turned down an extension reportedly worth more than $30 million over six years.

If the Bears don't keep Briggs, the Giants would be a possibility to sign him. They have some wiggle room under the salary cap and will have some more once they dump a few veteran salaries -- one of which figures to be outside linebacker Carlos Emmons, who has been plagued by injuries over the last three years and was ineffective when healthy this past season.

Briggs might feel the Giants would be a prime situation to be a playmaker on a Super Bowl contender. He could play the weak side in new coordinator Steve Spagnuolo's defense with Arrington remaining on the strong side when he recovers from a torn Achilles' tendon.

Plus, there's Briggs' history with Pierce. Arrington put a lot of stock in his relationship with Pierce when he turned down a potentially more lucrative deal with the Packers to sign with the Giants.

"That's my guy," Briggs said yesterday when asked about Pierce. "The two guys I've learned this game from more than anybody else player-wise are (Bears middle linebacker) Brian Urlacher and Antonio Pierce. To see Antonio doing what he's doing in New York is great.

Advertisement

"He goes undrafted -- I don't know why -- but you watched him in college and you (could tell) the guy was a baller. And now, he's doing exactly what he's been doing the whole time."

Briggs is a lot like Pierce when it comes to taking pride in proving people wrong. In the same way Pierce keeps a list of all the linebackers who were drafted in 2001 (and has crossed off the names of players no longer in the league), Briggs has said in the past he can recite all 12 linebackers selected ahead of him in 2003 when the Bears picked him in the third round.

Four games into his rookie season, the 6-1, 240-pound Briggs became a starter on the strong side and finished the season with 81 tackles. In 2004, he moved to the weak side and had 126 tackles.

Last season, he had 107 tackles, two sacks, two interceptions and nine passes defensed. He returned one of his interceptions for a touchdown -- the third of his career, which was the most for any linebacker over the three-year span. This year, he will be making his second straight trip to the Pro Bowl.

And apparently, he's not done improving.

"I think Lance has just gotten better every year," Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera said. "And I've said this before -- I really believe the only guy that can slow Lance down is Lance.

"He's a young guy who's got to learn and understand the way to do things, the way to make the commitment in terms of being a true professional. He's learning."

Rivera believes Briggs would have more than six career interceptions and 3 1/2 sacks in a different scheme than the Bears' Cover 2 defense.

"We ask that he and Brian and Hunter (Hillenmeyer) really control the middle, attack the line of scrimmage and make the big hits when we need them. And he's done that," Rivera said. "(Briggs' 11-tackle game in the divisional-round win over) Seattle was a great example of his abilities and just how good he can be."

The only question is which uniform he will be wearing when he reaches his full potential. If Pierce had his way, Briggs would be wearing blue.

Sweet! Still a pipe dream but better than nothing.

I'd love to have Briggs, thinking of that front seven gives me a woody, but anyone think teams might start getting pised at Antonio for this shit? I mean, before the super bowl he's recruiting?

He's just talking shop with his boys. If it was Reese, then maybe there would be some commotion.

He's just talking shop with his boys. If it was Reese, then maybe there would be some commotion.

He's not going to be talking to Reese during super bowl week. This is as big as a rumor as we're gonna get for now. Maybe we'll get something going with Reese when March starts.

Would definetaly be a smart move. I am not sure on our cap room situation though, do we have enough for both Briggs and one of the two CBs? If not what position do you focus on?

Gotta go with a corner if thats all we can get outta the top FA's. But man, it would really be nice to get both.

Gotta go with a corner if thats all we can get outta the top FA's. But man, it would really be nice to get both.

I agree.. I like Briggs, but we need a consistent corner or safety..besides G. Wilson, we suck... and now we have to learn a differant defensive coach...don't be surpirised if our defense sucks a bit in the earlier part of the year

Would definetaly be a smart move. I am not sure on our cap room situation though, do we have enough for both Briggs and one of the two CBs? If not what position do you focus on?

With Barber gone, we definitely have enough for the two. You have to keep in mind we're cutting a few deadbeats like Emmons and shitfield too.

With Barber gone, we definitely have enough for the two. You have to keep in mind we're cutting a few deadbeats like Emmons and shitfield too.

We are not cutting Cofield. We'd be fools. Kid played alittle less than average for a seasoned Vet, as a ROOKIE. Sure he got tired tward the end, but the kid has a big up side, and will show much improvment as early as next season. He will be around for a long time. Im very exited about both him and Kiwi. The line will be much better than last year now that both of those rookies have some starting time.

I agree.. I like Briggs, but we need a consistent corner or safety..besides G. Wilson, we suck... and now we have to learn a differant defensive coach...don't be surpirised if our defense sucks a bit in the earlier part of the year

After looking close at Briggs stats, I've changed my mind. If we can get Briggs in here, then thats what you have to do. We could get by with a lesser FA corner (he'd obviously have to be better than what we have). To me though, we have enough money, get both. Even if we do nothing else the rest of the off season.

We are not cutting Cofield. We'd be fools. Kid played alittle less than average for a seasoned Vet, as a ROOKIE. Sure he got tired tward the end, but the kid has a big up side, and will show much improvment as early as next season. He will be around for a long time. Im very exited about both him and Kiwi. The line will be much better than last year now that both of those rookies have some starting time.

He meant Whitfield :doh:

Hey, forget signing a FA CB, draft Akoye from UL in the first, draft the kid Smith out of UF in the second round, then withe the the pass rush generated by that front seven, the DB's will be able to eat sammiches because Spags will be dialing up .creative defenses/

I think shitfield = Whitfield.

lol, I was talking about Bob-headbutt-whitfield.