SportsWrath

Giants release Jon Beason, Geoff Schwartz and Will Beatty, clear about $12M in cap space

Mr. P

Honestly, if he became available I'd throw the house at that guy. This defense needs not only a playmaker, but a leader.

He won't be. He's most definitely going to be franchised. Even if he wasn't teams like the Raiders have a lot more cap room than the Giants do. I'd rather the Giants didn't make a splash and signed good starters at positions of need (which is almost the entire roster).

We just freed up 15 million by cutting three guys who didn't do dick last year, and two of whom did dick the year before?

That's AWESOME.

Agreed 100%

I'm not concerned about losing depth....we are talking about 3 guys who were too banged up to play on a 6-10 team.

I like the moves but it's up to JR and MacAdoodledoo to do something with the cap space.

Don't know of many of Bens past players hes coached that may be in FA, that new HC usually like to target.

And JR still signs players by the bulk hoping some will stick.

I'm hopeful but we'll see.

I like the moves but it's up to JR and MacAdoodledoo to do something with the cap space.

Don't know of many of Bens past players hes coached that may be in FA, that new HC usually like to target.

Yeah that is how we found Marshall Newhouse, don't worry he is under contract for this season too!

Don't need bulk, we need quality.

Yeah that is how we found Marshall Newhouse, don't worry he is under contract for this season too!

Don't need bulk, we need quality.

Exactly, I'm hopeful that JR and Benny will do a decent job but like I said it waits to be seen, JRs track record isnt really confidence building in FA, even his drafts are hit and miss.

I was waiting for this to happen. Now Cruz's contract needs a huge restructure. I believe he's due to cost around $10m against our cap and that's insane for a guy that hasn't played in nearly 2 years.

My free agency wishlist goes:

Olivier Vernon

Mo Wilk

Tashaun Gipson

Janoris Jenkins

Brandon Brooks...

Pipedream to get them all but I wouldn't be mad at 3/5.

He's taking like 6% of the cap and we'd save 6 mil if we cut him. He restructures or he's outta here.

I want Jackson, trevathan, Sean smith and Eric berry though I would guess the Chiefs are franchising him.

There's a lot of nice def players to choose from

My first choice at S was Berry, but aside from the Chiefs potentially using the tag on him I'm expecting him to be insanely expensive.

Speaking of which... it's time I stopped procrastinating and got to work on my offseason plan.

I'm hoping he ditches that as well. I'd rather have 2-3 real impact PLAYERS on the team than 12-15 JAGS.

Honestly, we haven't done that well in free agency since Gettleman left. He could find you some diamonds in the rough... Reese, not so much.

I'm just trying to wrap my head around what we need this offseason before trying to project targeted players. And not just want we need, but prioritizing those needs.

I think I've come to the realization that while there are definitely needs on offense, our initial focus should be defense. I'll try to look at it at the 3 different levels.

DLine - JPP, Cullen Jenkins, Robert Ayers, Montori Hughes, George Selvie, are all free agents at DE. As for DT, Markus Kuhn and Barry Cofield are free agents. That leaves the signed players at: Owamagbe Odighizuwa, Kerry Wynn, Brad Bars, Johnathan Hankins, Jay Bromley, and Louis Nix. Outside of Hankins, there are 3 question marks, which is staggering given how loaded we were just a few years ago.

Of the free agents, who do you resign? They could literally all walk and I don't envision being a whole lot worse. About the only one you could really vouch to resign is JPP and I'm really stretching to say that. He showed he still has the quickness and power, but he clearly struggles grabbing and latching on. That's an enormous problem and one we won't know if or when it'd be fixed. Another offseason hand surgery is scheduled too. I think a low-ball, 1-year prove it contract is the offer to be made. And if he balks, he walks and you move on. After the contract dispute last season and the not signing the franchise tag coupled with the fireworks accident...I see no other responsible way to handle moving forward with JPP. However, that means rolling the dice on guys like OO and Wynn as potential starters.

So as the offseason gears up, I think you have to seriously consider the need to bring in 3 starters on the defensive line...2 DEs and a DT.

LBers - Jasper Brinkley is a free agent and that's it. We still have Uani Unga, Nico Johnson, James Morris, JT Thomas, Jonathan Casillas, Mark Herzlich, Devon Kennard, and Stansly Maponga under contract. Clearly Kennard is the top name here, but he's struggled to stay healthy it seems. Without delving into salary cap ramifications, all these guys, outside Kennard, could easily be upgraded. Thomas, Casillas, Kennard, and sometimes Unga certainly wasn't ideal, but had the front 4 gotten any pressure at all this season, I think could've been just okay...tolerable. Given another year in the system for Collins at SS (thinking run support here), some LB ills could be covered up a bit.

As I look forward, I think that 1 true high-level impact player is needed. A LBer that can rush the passer and drop into coverage against a TE has been and continues to be a glaring hole on this team. If I have heard the names of Brent Celek and Jason Witten once, I've heard them a million times. Those guys have single handedly taken over games against us and doing something to limit the opposing TE needs to finally happen.

Secondary - Prince Amukamara, Trumaine McBride, Jayron Hosely, Brandon Merriweather, Craig Dahl, Bennett Jackson, are all free agents. Leaves us with the following: DRC, Trevin Wade, Tramain Jacobs, Leon McFadden, Landon Collins, Mykkele Thompson, Nat Berhe, Cooper Taylor, and Justin Currie. I still have a lot of faith in Prince and think of all our free agents, he's the one that most needs resigned. He and DRC together, I don't feel was a big problem. However, we're in dire need of a nickel corner. Bennett Jackson is a guy who supposedly was developing before his injury and I'd like to give him another crack at it on something like a 2-year contract with low, but guaranteed money. On the back end of the secondary, I think Collins was okay and grew throughout the year. He did prove to be a strong safety and interchanging him into a free safety role was okay here or there, but probably not something that he should be doing routinely. As for a free safety...we need one.

So yeah, there needs to be a contributing nickel corner and free safety brought in, in addition to bringing back Prince and maybe Jackson.

On the whole, (2) DEs, DT, LB, CB, and FS are absolute needs. That's 6 out of 11 spots on the defense. I think that qualifies as an overhaul, or at least the most you can reasonably do in one offseason.

Offensively, that's a simpler story. Without going into much detail, I think that we need a RG, RT, WR, RB, TE. The RG and RT spots need to be quality starters. The left side of the line is young and talented. It'd be nice to provide the same on the right side. At WR, ODB needs a running mate. I'd bring back Cruz on a restructured deal, but it'd clearly be on the team's deal, not his. I like Dwayne Harris as a #3, but I don't want to overuse him on offense because of his ability on ST. Geremy Davis is still an unknown, but this offseason should be his opportunity. All the other WRs are roster fodder at best. A dual threat TE would be nice. Can't remember the last time we had one...Ballard? Bennett maybe? Tye, Donnell, Cunningham, Fells are all free agents. LaCosse is the only signed TE. Tye is really the only prospect that I see worth bringing back. But even so, we'll need a TE. As for RB, we could maybe get by this year without one and see what Vereen, Jennings, and Williams can do. I think that rotation can work, it's just that the coaching staff needs to use them correctly. Declare a starter and a backup and have roles for each. No more committee stuff.

So a complete list...DE, DE, DT, LB, CB, FS, RG, RT, WR, RB, and TE. That's a tall order, but with draft picks and $58 million in cap room, potentially more from a Cruz restructure...many of those could be checked off.

I don't think there's much separating Allen and Fleener as receivers, Fleener's maybe a bit more versatile in routes but isn't as consistent as he should be. Allen is the better all-round TE IMO and a good redzone threat. That's my impression from limited viewing, anyway.