SportsWrath

Should we sign Evan Mathis?

BleedinBlue

There seems to be a push for the Giants to sign Mathis who was released by the Eagles yesterday.

Good idea or bad? I personally don't know enough about him to state a reasonable opinion. Just read that he's a two-time pro-bowler, but I don't know his injury history or why the Eagles cut him.

http://gmenhq.com/2015/06/11/new-york-giants-evan-mathis-would-be-a-key-signing/?utm_source=FanSided+Daily&utm_medium=email

I don't see a reason why we shouldn't at least bring him in for a visit. Idk much about him or the circumstances surrounding his release, but he's a 2 time Pro Bowler at a position of need that suddenly became available.

If I read correctly, it was a contract dispute. Mathis wanted more money...Eagles wouldn't give it to him. He became enough of a malcontent over it that he didn't show up for OTAs, though from what I read, was planning on attending the mandatory stuff.

I'd give him a call, work him out, and make him an offer. I don't know what he was asking from the Eagles, but it'd be worth checking into for sure.

My first reaction was, go get him! But thinking about it, he's 34, the NFL's oldest starting OL and he missed 7 games last year with a knee injury.....and he signed a $25.5M contract in 2012 that he's now unhappy with. I doubt he'll take a one year deal. Is there a team out there willing to give him $12M for two years? If so, that probably takes us out of the running.

I'm for any move that simultaneously strengthens our team, while weakening an in-division foe. Not to mention, they carry the knowledge of the coaches' playbook and it's like purchasing a spy from the other team. That's why I've always hated it when a Giant signs with the Cowboys, Eagles, or Skins. You just know their new coach is going to interrogate them for every little thing they can about the playbook.

My first reaction was, go get him! But thinking about it, he's 34, the NFL's oldest starting OL and he missed 7 games last year with a knee injury.....and he signed a $25.5M contract in 2012 that he's now unhappy with. I doubt he'll take a one year deal. Is there a team out there willing to give him $12M for two years? If so, that probably takes us out of the running.

I was shocked to learn that he's 34.... he's only been a good player the last few seasons, before that he was having a journeyman's career.

No clue where he gets off as a contract malcontent, he already had the best possible contract he could possibly get. Between age and attitude, that just seems like a bad fit for the Giants.

Yeah...I concur. 34 is the twilight of a football player's career. I have to believe it had to do with more than just money because it sounds like he had a good contract....which makes me wonder how much of it the Eagles have to pay him after cutting him.

Still - if he's healthy and is willing to work on a 1-yr contract, he might be a good stop gap until Beatty returns. On the other hand, if McAdoo and Flaherty are hell bent on getting the young kids on the line, they might pass just to build future chemistry with a line so that they can say, "a line that stays together, plays together" like a single unit.

Still, I'd be kicking the tires, but that's probably why I haven't been hired by the Giants as a coach.

From NJ.com

What Evan Mathis' release will reveal about the Giants

A Pro Bowl guard is on the free-agent market after the Eagles released Evan Mathis on Thursday.

The Giants offensive line, as currently constituted, doesn't need a guard. Arguably their two best linemen, Geoff Schwartz and Justin Pugh, are running with the first team at organized team activities this spring.

Yet the availability of Mathis should expose just how the Giants feel about their current offensive line.

The Giants are trying to determine this spring whether their offensive tackles are sufficient without Will Beatty (out until at least mid-October with a torn pectoral muscle). First-round pick Ereck Flowers is being thrown into the fire at left tackle. Veteran journeyman Marshall Newhouse is manning the right tackle spot. The goal was to get through the spring and re-evaluate then, if necessary.

"We'll see what happens," coach Tom Coughlin said several weeks back about the need to add another lineman. "We'll see how we finish the spring here and so on and so forth."

Before the Giants even hold their line mandatory minicamp this offseason, they will be forced to show their hand. Mathis' availability will display just how comfortable they are with their current situation.

Do they seriously make a play for the proven guard and throw Pugh back at tackle? General manager Jerry Reese has always said this team is willing to look at everything and, right now, this could be their top option for this season. If they think that is the case, they will enter the mix.

An argument can easily be made that Pugh, in his third season, or Schwartz are the best healthy tackles the Giants have on the roster, even if their best positions may be guard. Pugh played right tackle his first two seasons in the NFL, and showed signs of being a quality player at that position. A hobbled Schwartz filled in admirably at right tackle for a game when he returned from a toe injury.

There will undoubtedly be a market for Mathis. Even at 33 years old, he's better than a lot of current penciled-in starters around the league. That's why he was unhappy with his contract in Philadelphia, even though he was scheduled to make north of $5 million this season.

The Giants aren't going to break the bank for Mathis. They're not going to guarantee big money and commit for several seasons to a linemen who isn't an ideal fit (at 6-5, 298 he's not their typical mauling guard).

But if they do anything more than make an exploratory inquiry ‐ which is the norm on almost all free agents ‐ it will be awfully telling. It says the Giants are not content with their first-team offensive tackles.

All offseason the Giants shied away from the "big name" guards. Even after losing Beatty, they never made a play for veteran Justin Blalock, a solid starter for years with the Falcons who was released for salary cap reasons. Blalock remains a free agent. They wanted Pugh at guard and stuck to the plan even with Beatty injured.

But the Giants did bring in veteran tackle Jake Long several weeks back. That alone said they were at least somewhat interested in upgrading that position. They don't seem to have closed the door on that either.

"He's a veteran, he's played a lot of football, and so we brought him in, gave him a physical to see where he was," Reese said last week. "We'll keep an eye on him."

A push for Mathis would speak loud and clear. Despite Reese's hope that the selection of Flowers would put an end to talk about upgrading a questionable line, it would prove that it's still a serious concern. Not just with large contingent of fans who remain skeptical, but with the opinions that matter within the walls of the Quest Diagnostics Training Center as well.

The link: http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2015/06/what_evan_mathis_release_will_reveal_about_the_gia.html

From NJ.com

What Evan Mathis' release will reveal about the Giants

A Pro Bowl guard is on the free-agent market after the Eagles released Evan Mathis on Thursday.

The Giants offensive line, as currently constituted, doesn't need a guard. Arguably their two best linemen, Geoff Schwartz and Justin Pugh, are running with the first team at organized team activities this spring.

Yet the availability of Mathis should expose just how the Giants feel about their current offensive line.

The Giants are trying to determine this spring whether their offensive tackles are sufficient without Will Beatty (out until at least mid-October with a torn pectoral muscle). First-round pick Ereck Flowers is being thrown into the fire at left tackle. Veteran journeyman Marshall Newhouse is manning the right tackle spot. The goal was to get through the spring and re-evaluate then, if necessary.

"We'll see what happens," coach Tom Coughlin said several weeks back about the need to add another lineman. "We'll see how we finish the spring here and so on and so forth."

Before the Giants even hold their line mandatory minicamp this offseason, they will be forced to show their hand. Mathis' availability will display just how comfortable they are with their current situation.

Do they seriously make a play for the proven guard and throw Pugh back at tackle? General manager Jerry Reese has always said this team is willing to look at everything and, right now, this could be their top option for this season. If they think that is the case, they will enter the mix.

An argument can easily be made that Pugh, in his third season, or Schwartz are the best healthy tackles the Giants have on the roster, even if their best positions may be guard. Pugh played right tackle his first two seasons in the NFL, and showed signs of being a quality player at that position. A hobbled Schwartz filled in admirably at right tackle for a game when he returned from a toe injury.

There will undoubtedly be a market for Mathis. Even at 33 years old, he's better than a lot of current penciled-in starters around the league. That's why he was unhappy with his contract in Philadelphia, even though he was scheduled to make north of $5 million this season.

The Giants aren't going to break the bank for Mathis. They're not going to guarantee big money and commit for several seasons to a linemen who isn't an ideal fit (at 6-5, 298 he's not their typical mauling guard).

But if they do anything more than make an exploratory inquiry ‐ which is the norm on almost all free agents ‐ it will be awfully telling. It says the Giants are not content with their first-team offensive tackles.

All offseason the Giants shied away from the "big name" guards. Even after losing Beatty, they never made a play for veteran Justin Blalock, a solid starter for years with the Falcons who was released for salary cap reasons. Blalock remains a free agent. They wanted Pugh at guard and stuck to the plan even with Beatty injured.

But the Giants did bring in veteran tackle Jake Long several weeks back. That alone said they were at least somewhat interested in upgrading that position. They don't seem to have closed the door on that either.

"He's a veteran, he's played a lot of football, and so we brought him in, gave him a physical to see where he was," Reese said last week. "We'll keep an eye on him."

A push for Mathis would speak loud and clear. Despite Reese's hope that the selection of Flowers would put an end to talk about upgrading a questionable line, it would prove that it's still a serious concern. Not just with large contingent of fans who remain skeptical, but with the opinions that matter within the walls of the Quest Diagnostics Training Center as well.

The link: http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2015/06/what_evan_mathis_release_will_reveal_about_the_gia.html

This article pretty much sums up why the Giants are going to be bottom-feeders this year and why Coughlin and Reese will be out in 2016.

As of now, we have literally no proven starters at their respective positions on the offensive line. When somebody gets Eli killed by week 6, you can officially mark this era as over, though most of us realized that somewhere between the San Francisco and Jacksonville games last season.

My money goes on Rex Ryan's defense shelving Eli in week 4.