SportsWrath

Draft Day

Herc

28 minutes ago, mastershake said:

I think a lot of it was George Young. He never adapted to the new era of free agency in the 90's, and was stuck on hanging onto/developing his guys. He probably had Phil Simms in the back of his mind, who only became a franchise QB after year 5. Probably thought Brown just needed more time and could be the next Simms.

Notice once Ernie Arcosi takes over in 1998, the team makes a Super Bowl a few years later, plus lays the foundation for the 2007 Super Bowl team.

For sure.. Young never adapted.  I kind of liked the 80's NFL when you had 3-5 years to develop someone.  Acorsi was the New Wave and was good at Free Agency.  I always thought NFL free agency should be more like the NBA, MLB with luxury taxes and the ability to build dynasties in major cities like New York, Los Angeles etc.  Too much of the NFL is filled with parity now and too many billionaire owners.  It is a watered down product.

12 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Of the fired post Coughlin coaches, the only one I may have given a longer leash would have been Shurmer. 

5 minutes ago, mastershake said:

That was a very odd one. Shurmer should have been given more time. In 2019, his 2nd year, they just drafted a QB, signaling they want to move on from Eli.

You'd think with a rookie QB that they think is their future, they wouldn't hold a bad season against Shurmer given he's in his rookie freaking year, not to mention your OL is still abysmal, not to mention the defense is ranked near dead last.

I would think so... I think ownership became too involved.  I don't see much difference between the handicaps Shurmer faced and Daboll. 

4 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

nah Judge simply isn’t head coach material. 

guys now an “analyst” on the ole miss college staff 

That too.. maybe too wound up.  Also all of these ersatz second tier Belichik clones are not the Real McCoy... :laugh:

4 hours ago, Iceman_NYG said:

Judge never ever was Head Coach material - it overwhelmed him and in Shurmur's case - i think he lost the locker room and that was why he was let go.

I remember watching an interview with Shurmur when Minny was in the playoffs. He was averse to eye contact, and had awful body language (lots of shrugs, looking at the ground, etc). Dude's just not a natural leader.

I’m not saying Shurmer would have been a great head coach.  Just that out of the fired post Coughlin giants coaches, he’s the one I would have given another season to. 

2 hours ago, Mr. P said:

I’m not saying Shurmer would have been a great head coach.  Just that out of the fired post Coughlin giants coaches, he’s the one I would have given another season to. 

I wish he'd been our OC. He has a knack for drawing up big plays. 

11 hours ago, TaylorBanksCarsonVanPelt said:

For sure.  Shurmur got a quick yank.  He could have gotten a second year.

As I said - i think the players just didnt connect with the guy...hence the quick yank

9 hours ago, Iceman_NYG said:

As I said - i think the players just didnt connect with the guy...hence the quick yank

5 hours ago, Virginia Giant said:

Coincidentally, the Quick Yank is what they call Seph in Thailand. 

I hear that... so as a former big boss you either get new guys or you adjust.  Sometimes a quick yank teaches the wrong lessons to everyone.  He seemed to need a boot up his ass, stronger assistants, a talking to by ownership and the players needed to be told that this is not your thing.  You are employees passing through.  That being written I am with everyone thinking he would have been a better OC and able to concentrate on what was.  He was a much better coach than Judge and would have benefited from a Daboll being in the Captain's Chair.