SportsWrath

Art Stapleton mock draft

Mr. P

https://www.northjersey.com/story/sports/nfl/giants/2024/03/18/ny-giants-mock-draft-2024-our-picks-and-predictions-for-big-blue/72987594007/

1. JJ McCarthy - QB Michigan

2. Xavier Legette - WR South Carolina

3. Kris Jenkins Jr. - DT Michigan

4. Cam Hart - CB Notre Dame

5. Braelon Allen - RB Wisconsin

6. CJ Hanson - OL Holy Cross

i like it. 

Been reading so much draft stuff recently I've dreamt about it.

The Cowboys trade for pick #1 and take Williams, while sending Dak to the Bears.

Washington shocks the world and takes Joe Alt.

NE takes Harrison.

Cardinals take Rome. 

Charges trade out to Minnesota who takes McCarthy 

Giants have a choice of Maye/Daniels.

But that's just a dream. 

10 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

I was really more comparing the Giants reaching for an average college QB with the sixth pick based on potential.   

Right, I think they were hoping he had a high ceiling. 

22 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

I was really more comparing the Giants reaching for an average college QB with the sixth pick based on potential.   

I think all college QBs are taken on potential.

I am on record...McCarthy is not a guy I want to see in blue.  If 3 QBs go in top 5, take one of the WRs and trade back into late first for Penix if you can.

I do like Legett though of you don't get a WR in the 1st...but I see him top 3rd rd in places...early 2nd might be too early for him

32 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Get used to it fellas

IMG-5456.jpg

I still think it's a massive smoke screen to get some team to desperately trade with the Giants, or we are madly in love with a WR. 

Or maybe Schoen has a trade for pick #2/3 and doesn't want it to get out.

Still don't understand how a QB who was a second round guy is suddenly a top 10 pick.

But then again we seen Jones drafted. 

We are not drafting a QB.

Nobody has predicted anything Schoen has done this offseason so far, who thinks they are going to find out now.

Daniel Jones is the starting qb next season.

1 hour ago, BlueInCanada said:

I still think it's a massive smoke screen to get some team to desperately trade with the Giants, or we are madly in love with a WR. 

Or maybe Schoen has a trade for pick #2/3 and doesn't want it to get out.

Still don't understand how a QB who was a second round guy is suddenly a top 10 pick.

But then again we seen Jones drafted. 

I'd love if we traded back with Minnesota, got #11 and #23 and took BPA at each pick. 

8 hours ago, mastershake said:

Sounds awful. I am not aligned with McCarthy as a #1 pick. So many of his completions are underneath or simple stop or out routes. It was also a run heavy offense that never really leaned on him in the passing game.

Yeah I don't get it... must be groupthink. He was an average QB, no real special talent, lots of high and off-target passes, and in the biggest moments of the biggest games his coach didn't want to put the ball in his hands.

Like, what am I missing here? "He studies film?" Davis Webb studied film too and had a better arm.

Dude's an ok-to-good QB, you take those guys in the 2nd round.

1 hour ago, Mr. P said:

Players rise and fall after the combine. It literally happens every year. 

I just mean it usually isn't a good thing, for QBs anyways. 

Trey Lance was a 3rd round pick until suddenly he was the next best thing, now he's a backup in Dallas. 

See I can understand a WRs or positional players stock going up and down before the draft because combine skills typically translate well enough for those positions.

A QB throwing at a combine or pro workout doesn't show really anything their college tape doesn't show. 

So I never understood how suddenly a QB just rises up draft boards when he's the same player he was pre and post combine. 

Sure a DB shows up and runs a 4.3 40, hey maybe he's faster than what tape shows.

A QB nails an interview, he's still the same QB as he was in college. 

McCarthy by all accounts is a second round pick who over the last few weeks is suddenly a top 10 guy? 

I don't believe it lol all the smoke screen hype. 

2 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

Trey Lance was a 3rd round pick until suddenly he was the next best thing, now he's a backup in Dallas. 

See I can understand a WRs or positional players stock going up and down before the draft because combine skills typically translate well enough for those positions.

A QB throwing at a combine or pro workout doesn't show really anything their college tape doesn't show. 

So I never understood how suddenly a QB just rises up draft boards when he's the same player he was pre and post combine. 

Sure a DB shows up and runs a 4.3 40, hey maybe he's faster than what tape shows.

McCarthy by all accounts is a second round pick who over the last few weeks is suddenly a top 10 guy? 

I feel like the combine is the place to just confirm what you may have already known or suspected about a guy.

23 minutes ago, mastershake said:

I feel like the combine is the place to just confirm what you may have already known or suspected about a guy.

If your scouting department is worth a damn, yeah.  But if your scouts get a hard on for a Duke QB, we all know what happens

4 minutes ago, gmenroc said:

If your scouting department is worth a damn, yeah.  But if your scouts get a hard on for a Duke QB, we all know what happens

Didn't DJ also "wow them" at the Senior Bowl practices or something?

Oh god, Spencer Rattler wowed people at the Senior Bowl practices this year too, even though he was only average in the regular season, and downright shitty at times....fuck I hope Schoen doesn't take Rattler in the 2nd or something.

2 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

This is how I feel about it too.  I think the Combine is to confirm or assess some things you may have seen on tape... "was this corner fast or did he play lesser competition," "this RB has power but how is his speed," etc.  I don't understand the McCarthy's and Trey Lances where you see what they are (a 2nd-3rd round talent) but suddenly they're a top-5 picks after no additional games played.  Makes zero sense to me. 

1 hour ago, mastershake said:

Didn't DJ also "wow them" at the Senior Bowl practices or something?

Oh god, Spencer Rattler wowed people at the Senior Bowl practices this year too, even though he was only average in the regular season, and downright shitty at times....fuck I hope Schoen doesn't take Rattler in the 2nd or something.

The really funny thing is I remember the Big Blue Kickoff Live podcast talking about how Jones didn't look special at all at Senior Bowl practices or in the game and then when Gettleman drafted him they had to backpedal and talk about all the potential he had and how great he would be.  I remember posting right after the draft his Senior Bowl tape and basically saying, "is there anyone here who is in 'full bloom love' after seeing this tape?"

And now we may be about to make the same mistake again.  I hope we learned our lesson but since we just paid 150 million to a 9 sack/season EDGE I'm not overly confident right now. 

You may not get it,  but it happens every single year so it shouldn’t surprise. 

even without the combine things change, look at mock drafts from right after college football ended to right before the combine. Lots of changes.   

can’t judge a guy based on where old mocks had him.  

3 hours ago, gmenroc said:

:laugh::laugh::laugh: Please no more Dave Brown;s or DJ's.... please.  Let them stay big men on campus at Duke and just leave them alone.