SportsWrath

Taylor > Jones

RandolphScott

8 hours ago, Mr. P said:

Better qb play helps the o-line pass protection.  

holding onto the ball too long, and not making the right calls pre-snap hurt pass protection. 

I'm pretty sure that's not how the OL gradings work. They rate whether they did their assignment for each snap. If the QB is too slow it will affect their grade, not the OLine.

8 minutes ago, Treehugger said:

I'm pretty sure that's not how the OL gradings work. They rate whether they did their assignment for each snap. If the QB is too slow it will affect their grade, not the OLine.

im not talking about the grades. Just generally. 

the analytics data is enlightening, Taylor has gotten about a quarter second more per snap before the pressure was upon him compared to Jones, and that is being weighed down by the Seattle game in which pass protection hit rock bottom; if we look at just the starts for both QBs, its an extremely stark difference. It also shows that Taylor is somewhat faster to abandon the pocket than Jones is, even despite enjoying improved pass protection. 

the one reason I suspect Taylor may be the right QB for this particular offense, when leaving the pocket he does seem better than Jones at keeping his eyes downfield. 

But a weakness in Taylors game is his quick hook on pocket passing. A good example came on his handful of deep drops over the last couple weeks. If there's a pocket, Jones steps up. Taylor rarely steps up when those edges come around at 10-12 yards, instead he bails. Its a long running problem with his game, its the one thing that separates him from being a really legit starting QB, in my opinion. 

So Taylor is probably a little better when things break down.... but, he's also more likely to cause things to break down. 

9 hours ago, CrazedDogs said:

the analytics data is enlightening, Taylor has gotten about a quarter second more per snap before the pressure was upon him compared to Jones, and that is being weighed down by the Seattle game in which pass protection hit rock bottom; if we look at just the starts for both QBs, its an extremely stark difference. It also shows that Taylor is somewhat faster to abandon the pocket than Jones is, even despite enjoying improved pass protection. 

the one reason I suspect Taylor may be the right QB for this particular offense, when leaving the pocket he does seem better than Jones at keeping his eyes downfield. 

But a weakness in Taylors game is his quick hook on pocket passing. A good example came on his handful of deep drops over the last couple weeks. If there's a pocket, Jones steps up. Taylor rarely steps up when those edges come around at 10-12 yards, instead he bails. Its a long running problem with his game, its the one thing that separates him from being a really legit starting QB, in my opinion. 

So Taylor is probably a little better when things break down.... but, he's also more likely to cause things to break down. 

I agree with this analysis... if he would step up at least a third of the time... he would get more time to complete the long pass.  Maybe he thinks he sees better by going to the left or right, out of the pocket.  Those linemen are taught to throw up their hands when they can't get to the QB.  It is a flaw in his game for sure.

21 hours ago, CrazedDogs said:

This is spot on my man.