SportsWrath

Taylor > Jones

RandolphScott

On 10/23/2023 at 4:50 AM, Iceman_NYG said:

Definition of "Knee Jerk Reaction". We beat the Commanders, we only scored 14 points, and the OL surprisingly played better than they have all season. Relax, there is a reason Jones is the starter and Taylor the back-up.

This.   

On 10/22/2023 at 8:36 PM, Virginia Giant said:

I was going to come here to say I do not see how you replace Taylor for Jones at this point.  Other than the financial commitment.  Not that TT is going to be the starter of the future, but he gives you the best chance to win games this year and also gives you an opportunity to evaluate the talent you have on offense.  

The wild card is Barkley in all of this.  The team just plays better.    We had a brutal schedule to begin with and the OL played worse than anyone could have imagined.   They even lost arguably their best 2 players.

Jones was running for his life every time the ball was snapped.   You can see the coaches changed the game plan for TT trying not to get him killed out there.

To blame DJ as the reason the season has gone south is misguided.   

They aren’t calling anything differently.

Taylor’s left tackle was playing golf 12 days ago and then playing in an NFL game. His right tackle was a guy who wasn’t even on the team 7 days ago. 

Taylor just runs the offense better because he can get the ball out quickly and manipulate the pocket better. He isn’t the long term solution but neither is Dink and Dunk Daniel.

Taylor has performed very well under the circumstances.   However, the OL no matter has played better for Taylor and I see that as a direct result of the play calling.   Those quick strikes keep defenses honest.   Jones is shell-shocked because of the pounding he too not because he forgot how to play.

1 minute ago, RandolphScott said:

And Schoen gave himself an out with Jones extension. Good man.

Jones won’t be the QB for the Giants in 2025 unless he magically becomes Tom Brady and that’s not happening. 

That’s fine too.   I’m all about running a tight ship from a financial standpoint.   Whether it’s Jones or someone else matters very little.  The OL needs fixing; period.

10 minutes ago, RandolphScott said:

Or maybe he just isn’t a very good QB?

He is what he is. He’s a game manager who needs everything around him to be good for himself to play well. 

He is basically Diet Coke Jared Goff 

Which is fine.   Great QBs don’t grow on trees.   For a QB to succeed, he needs some form of protection and at least one elite WR.   DJ has none of that.

15 minutes ago, RandolphScott said:

I mean it was cool to win a playoff game that he had a huge hand in but the Vikings weren’t a great team last year despite winning 13 games 

I’m pretty sure we had an entire season that actually got us to that playoff game.   DJ was given a new contract because of it.   

It seems the argument here is he’s not elite.   

2 minutes ago, RandolphScott said:

Eli only had Hakeem Nicks (BEST IN THE WOOOOORLD) healthy for like 18 games. 

Plaxico? Toomer?  OBJ?  Cruz? Manningham? 

A very good offensive line?  

No?  And how many INTs did Eli throw?   Didn’t NFL nation argue over whether he was elite?    

DJ is Eli without the support system or continuity.

Just now, RandolphScott said:

I would take middle of the pack at this point. 

That being said, when you get paid what he’s getting paid you better produce.

Only if he can throw it to himself and do his own blocking.   

On 10/23/2023 at 8:08 AM, RandolphScott said:

I don’t know how you can look at both QBs and say Taylor isn’t better for this offense.

Taylor had an arguably worse offensive line on Sunday than Jones has. 

Dude...

PFF Grades last week: Pass Block 54.1, Defense 69.1, T. Taylor 67.9 (73.2 Pass, 49.0 Run)

PFF Grades vs Miami: Pass Block 16.9, Defense 56.4, D. Jones 87.1 (78.6 Pass, 82.5 Run)

11 hours ago, Treehugger said:

Dude...

PFF Grades last week: Pass Block 54.1, Defense 69.1, T. Taylor 67.9 (73.2 Pass, 49.0 Run)

PFF Grades vs Miami: Pass Block 16.9, Defense 56.4, D. Jones 87.1 (78.6 Pass, 82.5 Run)

Up 67% and then 20% from Miami to Buffalo to Washington.  Let’s hope this better o-line play continues!