SportsWrath

Joe Schoen: an Objective Analysis

Sephiroth

40 minutes ago, RandolphScott said:

I’m really starting to sour on Wink as defensive coordinator, too.

I’m tired of the two DL set with Thibs and Ojulari who can’t stop the run. 

Smart, tough and dependable more like dumb, weak and sissy. 

Unless I'm missing something, that's essentially the current base defense, except on obvious passing downs. Lawrence as NT, Leonard Williams four technique down lineman, plus a combination of Nunes-Roches, Robinson, Davidson, as the other four technique down lineman, with Thibs and Ojulari as OLBs. 3-4.

Maybe they're just not doing enough of it?

I think Wink covers a lot of deficiencies.  We cannot create pressure with 4 or even 5 guys.  Blitzes are dialed up and we sometimes get lucky.  His hands are tied with guys who can't set and edge and tackle like garbage.

Scheme-wise, I think he does just fine given what he has in the front 7

As for the line...we have 3 viable starters in Thomas, JMS, and Neal.  In the case of JMS and Neal...note I said viable and not proven.

Neal needs to be a guard...like tomorrow.

Literally every other player is trash.  Lemieux, Peart, Ezeudu, Bredeson, Glowinski...all hot garbage.

Just now, RandolphScott said:

I don’t think he covers any deficiencies at all.

Made Josh Dobbs look like Warren Moon. 

I won't absolve him of all responsibility, but I'd put the lion's share on the players who can't tackle or get off a block.

8 minutes ago, gmenroc said:

I think Wink covers a lot of deficiencies.  We cannot create pressure with 4 or even 5 guys.  Blitzes are dialed up and we sometimes get lucky.  His hands are tied with guys who can't set and edge and tackle like garbage.

Scheme-wise, I think he does just fine given what he has in the front 7

We really don't have great talent on defense.

- Secondary: Pinnock and McKinney are sub par. We have two rookie corners who are starting, so there will be up and downs. Flott looks good on one play, then a dud on the next. Same with Holmes as well. Dane Belton seems to have been demoted on defense, so he's a backup at best.

- LB: Okereke and McFadden are okay starters I guess.

- DE/OLB: Thibs came on last game as a rusher, but overall the pass rush from anyone else hasn't been there, and they're abysmal vs the run

- DT: Lawrence and Williams are good

It's just a mediocre unit overall. Bottom 10 defensive talent. 

Okereke and McFadden are B+ guys.  Thibs should pass rush every down.  Cannot shed a block or set an edge.  Ojulari is inconsistent at best.  Will never command a chip from a RB or TE, let alone a double team.

Lawrence is awesome.  Williams best years are behind him.  Encouraged by Davidson, but he has a ways to go.

The fact we essentially play a 2-5 may play into it, but guys like Strahan/Tuck/JPP/Osi could play the run on the way to the QB.  We have 1 guy, 2 on a good day, who can do that.

Secondary as a hole is meh.  I don't hate our safeties and our CBs are inexperienced.  If they stay together, I think that would serve well for 2024...but that involves resigning McKinney who deserves an offer, but not about to reset the markwt for him.

1 hour ago, mastershake said:

Agreed. What has McKinney done? We never see him making plays. I liked Love better, and for 2 years $12M would've kept him.

I think the fact we don't hear about him isn't necessarily a bad thing.  A decent offer should be made that he will likely refuse and you let him walk.

On 10/3/2023 at 1:06 PM, BlueInCanada said:

That was my main complaint with the whole Jones contract saga.

He does nothing unique on the field other than being a good scrambler (which isn't as rare in QBs now a days) 

It's not like he's out there lighting the world up with his arm.

He's an above average QB who needs a good running game to support him. 

Why not go after someone who's going to cost a third as much as him and go get some needed pieces elsewhere instead of hog tieing yourself to Jones for ATLEAST two years.

There was just so little upside to giving Jones the contract we did. 

But here we are.

The Giants get sentimental when it should be pure business and are pure business when they should be sentimental.

On 10/3/2023 at 1:42 PM, Mr. P said:

where did you see this

On 10/3/2023 at 1:55 PM, Sephiroth said:

She is not egg-shaped.  You can review TCBY's expert analysis on the topic, but I'm disappointed that Shredder didn't contribute like I had asked. 

Please don't let me do it again... :laugh:

8 hours ago, gmenroc said:

Okereke and McFadden are B+ guys.  Thibs should pass rush every down.  Cannot shed a block or set an edge.  Ojulari is inconsistent at best.  Will never command a chip from a RB or TE, let alone a double team.

Lawrence is awesome.  Williams best years are behind him.  Encouraged by Davidson, but he has a ways to go.

The fact we essentially play a 2-5 may play into it, but guys like Strahan/Tuck/JPP/Osi could play the run on the way to the QB.  We have 1 guy, 2 on a good day, who can do that.

Secondary as a hole is meh.  I don't hate our safeties and our CBs are inexperienced.  If they stay together, I think that would serve well for 2024...but that involves resigning McKinney who deserves an offer, but not about to reset the markwt for him.

True this... I never worried about the run with Strahan, Tuck, Osi or JPP... those monsters would eat up a RB on the way to the QB.

10 hours ago, TaylorBanksCarsonVanPelt said:

The Giants get sentimental when it should be pure business and are pure business when they should be sentimental.

THIS IS THE DEFINITION OF WISDOM!!!!

I saw the interview of DJ after Wednesday practice - the guy looks spooked. Its ok to be nice and not throw anyone else under the bus - but man WTF - if you heard the play wrong AUDIBLE THE FUCK OUT OF IT!! The TD to Plax in the endzone was an audible by Eli. He needs to start doing the audible. He did that the last game and even pointed at the unblocked guy - and STILL the Oline did their shit and he came over unblocked. Its time for him to do his own thing. Eli and Peyton need to speak to him.

12 hours ago, Iceman_NYG said:

THIS IS THE DEFINITION OF WISDOM!!!!

I saw the interview of DJ after Wednesday practice - the guy looks spooked. Its ok to be nice and not throw anyone else under the bus - but man WTF - if you heard the play wrong AUDIBLE THE FUCK OUT OF IT!! The TD to Plax in the endzone was an audible by Eli. He needs to start doing the audible. He did that the last game and even pointed at the unblocked guy - and STILL the Oline did their shit and he came over unblocked. Its time for him to do his own thing. Eli and Peyton need to speak to him.

For sure mang... it is time to man up on DJ's part and be a QB who sometimes calls his own plays.

On 10/4/2023 at 8:17 PM, TaylorBanksCarsonVanPelt said:

That's why I say, if Neal doesn't prove himself this year, we can't go in to 2024 expecting him to be a starter. We'd have to try to find a replacement, and just let him be a backup/swing tackle the remaining 2 years of his contract.

Same with Ezeudu and Mckethan.

If Neal competes in camp in 2024 and proves himself in a competition then it's icing on the cake.

12 minutes ago, mastershake said:

That's why I say, if Neal doesn't prove himself this year, we can't go in to 2024 expecting him to be a starter. We'd have to try to find a replacement, and just let him be a backup/swing tackle the remaining 2 years of his contract.

Same with Ezeudu and Mckethan.

If Neal competes in camp in 2024 and proves himself in a competition then it's icing on the cake.

Makes sense to me bro...

On 10/4/2023 at 11:48 AM, Mr. P said:

We better not throw big money at McKinney.  His tackling is atrocious and he doesn’t really make plays. 

On 10/4/2023 at 1:03 PM, mastershake said:

Agreed. What has McKinney done? We never see him making plays. I liked Love better, and for 2 years $12M would've kept him.

Gets run over by future Hall of Fame QB Josh Dobbs, that's what.