SportsWrath

Daniel Jones: I’m responsible for how I play, I haven’t done well enough

jranieli

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/02/18/daniel-jones-im-responsible-for-how-i-play-i-havent-done-well-enough/

The Giants hired a new head coach and a new General Manager after the end of their latest losing season, but they aren’t talking about finding a new quarterback.

Daniel Jones is headed into his fourth season and both head coach Brian Daboll and G.M. Joe Schoen have talked about building an offense to suit his strengths this season. Giants co-owner John Mara has also shown support for Jones and absolved him of a good deal of blame for the offense’s shortcomings.

Mara said the team has “done everything possible to screw this kid up since he’s been here” in reference to coaching changes and personnel mistakes that have left him without much protection from the offensive line. While no one will argue that the Giants have been a well run organization, Jones said on the Breaking Big Blue podcast with Jordan Raanan of ESPN.com that he isn’t passing the buck for his struggles to anyone else.

“I’m certainly the one responsible for how I play and I take that very seriously. I haven’t played well enough. We haven’t won enough games to this point,” Jones said, via USAToday.com. “That’s what I am focused on. And making sure I’m improving as a player as we go through this offseason and into next season, so I am able to put this team in a position to win games. I think that’s my focus — to improve every day. Right now, we’re in an offseason stage where you’re kind of on your own to do that and to go about that. So that’s what I am focused on.”

Jones is also working his way back from a neck injury that brought his season to an early end, so there are questions about his future that go beyond his middling play since being drafted in the first round in 2019. The Giants seem willing to give him another chance to show that he can be the quarterback they hoped they were getting in that draft, but any offseason move for a serious alternative under center will show that Jones won’t be getting the same rope he got the last couple of years.

1 hour ago, CrazedDogs said:

If he can develop any anticipation at all he wouldn't be half bad. And cut out the hero ball! - he's a big guy, but he should never try to carry three defensive players into the end zone. 

You are my hero brah... this is it in a nutshell.  You are a QB not a RB or FB who is out there for 3 or 4 years before getting fucked up.

Obviously the Giants aren't going to tip their hand if they are going to replace Daniel or not.

They have the picks now to get a guy if Daboll, Kafka fall in love with someone.

Willis is the clear #1 guy simply because he can make plays with his feet.

No QB in this draft strikes me as a day one guy or even a year one or two guy.

All seem to have some major flaw or lack of readiness to be an NFL QB out of the gate.

However I'm not Daboll or Schoen. 

If they think one of these guys is the next franchise QB then take them and don't look back.

Clearly though the Giants need to do something at QB this year. 

If they're not going to trade down, then any position other than QB. Maybe OL then trade the 7 pick, or trade the 5th and OL the 7th. Hell, it's obvious to everyone we need help everywhere and keeping Jones for '22 makes sense. If he gets all this support and decent coaching and still sucks, then we get a new QB in '23. But I don't need to spell this out, the whole world already knows it. I do know this...if they reach for a QB with the 5th pick, we know nothing is going to change, it's going to be the same old, same old. 

Yet he is all the offense the team currently has.  Daniel Jones is not the problem but has become the biggest question mark since his neck injury ended his season.  Daboll has to use Jones mobility behind the line of scrimmage and not for moving the ball downfield.  I want to see a new offensive line in front of Jones this September.

22 hours ago, BronxRik said:

If they're not going to trade down, then any position other than QB. Maybe OL then trade the 7 pick, or trade the 5th and OL the 7th. Hell, it's obvious to everyone we need help everywhere and keeping Jones for '22 makes sense. If he gets all this support and decent coaching and still sucks, then we get a new QB in '23. But I don't need to spell this out, the whole world already knows it. I do know this...if they reach for a QB with the 5th pick, we know nothing is going to change, it's going to be the same old, same old. 

I agree.  Next year is mostly a wash so find out about Jones.  Don't reach for a QB...just give Jones veteran competition/teaching if you can, and an OL.

On 2/18/2022 at 11:16 PM, BronxRik said:

Jones was a reach though as well.

And honestly if they feel his replacement is there they are going to take him regardless of what we think.

People want two rookie OL with 5 and 7 mostly from what I've seen.

But rookies doesn't help Jones day one, more often then not they take a Thomas career arc where you don't see results till the year after. 

By then what's the next excuse for Jones? 

Vets do though help Jones and FAs with proven track records will help Jones but with the cap situation as it is we will be lucky two get two decent guys. Sure making up mock FA signings is fun and all but with the cap expected to make a massive leap next year we are going to start seeing 30 or 40 million guaranteed yearly contract soon for positions other than QB.

Plus the narrative about getting 'a new QB in 2023' what happens if the Giants pick in the teens? What happens if guys next year have more hype than this pool? We trade a rings random and hope it works out like the Bengals, what is the rookies don't work out? Then we are left with a rookie QB and a shit Oline still plus not draft picks since we had to trade up for them.

I'm not saying we should go QB with the first pick but it's not also out of the question when you think they can pick a guy like Willis, let him ride the bench behind Jones, still end up with a top OL prospect, and then not mortgage draft capitol next year.

Honestly I'm really excited to see what Schoen and company do because this team is a blank slate.

Outside of a handful of guys like the recent additions who have performed well like Thomas, Ojulari, McKinney, no one is safe. 

Let's hope they get it right lol 

I think his neck injury was just blown out of proportion to shut the whole team down anyway. I wouldnt buy too much into that.

But yes - I still feel he needs another shot with a decent OC and a decent OL - last year is not a measuring stick by any proportion to judge how any player performed. Judge was a shit show from the get go.

On 2/20/2022 at 7:19 AM, BlueInCanada said:

And honestly if they feel his replacement is there they are going to take him regardless of what we think.

But rookies doesn't help Jones day one, more often then not they take a Thomas career arc where you don't see results till the year after. 

Vets do though help Jones and FAs with proven track records will help Jones but with the cap situation as it is we will be lucky two get two decent guys. Sure making up mock FA signings is fun and all but with the cap expected to make a massive leap next year we are going to start seeing 30 or 40 million guaranteed yearly contract soon for positions other than QB.

Plus the narrative about getting 'a new QB in 2023' what happens if the Giants pick in the teens? What happens if guys next year have more hype than this pool? We trade a rings random and hope it works out like the Bengals, what is the rookies don't work out? Then we are left with a rookie QB and a shit Oline still plus not draft picks since we had to trade up for them.

I'm not saying we should go QB with the first pick but it's not also out of the question when you think they can pick a guy like Willis, let him ride the bench behind Jones, still end up with a top OL prospect, and then not mortgage draft capitol next year.

Honestly I'm really excited to see what Schoen and company do because this team is a blank slate.

Outside of a handful of guys like the recent additions who have performed well like Thomas, Ojulari, McKinney, no one is safe. 

The only thing I got is: "Look what they did with Allen". It's all I got because we can't afford anything else, we'll just have to hope for the best and get thru this '22 cap situation. 

On 2/21/2022 at 4:53 AM, Iceman_NYG said:

I think his neck injury was just blown out of proportion to shut the whole team down anyway. I wouldnt buy too much into that.

But yes - I still feel he needs another shot with a decent OC and a decent OL - last year is not a measuring stick by any proportion to judge how any player performed. Judge was a shit show from the get go.

Bingo... I think his neck was bothering him for a week or two and that was it.  Just throw him out there with a halfway decent OL, give him some competition in camp and see what he can and can't do.  Draft a QB in 2023-2024 if he bombs.  

On 2/20/2022 at 10:19 AM, BlueInCanada said:

If the Giants are picking in the teens you have to assume Jones has had a better season and the team ended up 8-9 which is doubling the number of wins.     Shit one more win and the Giants could be a playoff team.   I would sign up for that... and for keeping Jones on