SportsWrath

John Mara, not only running the Giants into the ground but also the league.

BlueInCanada

So apparently Mara was the guy pushing the "no taunting" rule change this off season as a member of the old boys club competition comity.

Who asked for this? The answer is Giants owner John Mara, a member of the NFL’s competition committee who said in August that he’s “sick and tired” of taunting and that “nobody wants to see a player taunting another player.”

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2021/9/20/22683356/winners-and-losers-week-2-lamar-jackson-ravens-chiefs

A lot of those were ridiculous because... breaking news:  NFL officiating sucks. 

I agree with Mara on the principal though.  If Ari Meirov has a problem with that, he can break up the fights that happen every day on the elementary playground because kids are rubbing their success in other peoples' faces.  

That one on Seattle's Reed is just stupid and doesn't even come close to following the spirit of the rule. This game is full of adrenaline and emotion and they expect these guys to just be robots after making a good play? So fucking stupid. 

14 hours ago, TaylorBanksCarsonVanPelt said:

Sure man... the first one with the spinning football is like the old spike play to me.  No issue with it.

But its been a penalty to spike the ball on anything except a touchdown going back a very long time. 

But it wasn't a personal foul. It's just a delay of game penalty. 

that's kind of how I wish they'd strike a balance on the taunting flags. Just call a delay of game when someone hangs out on the wrong side of scrimmage to get in someone's face and the officials have to get involved. 

1 hour ago, CrazedDogs said:

But its been a penalty to spike the ball on anything except a touchdown going back a very long time. 

that's kind of how I wish they'd strike a balance on the taunting flags. Just call a delay of game when someone hangs out on the wrong side of scrimmage to get in someone's face and the officials have to get involved. 

I have not been following this too closely...so correct me if I am wrong....this is not a new rule..the Refs have just been instructed to start aggressively enforcing it...correct?

The has to be a middle ground between what is happening now...and the issue of entire defenses running 50 yards into an end zone to mug for the cameras after a 3rd and 10 sack...in the first quarter of a 0 - 0 game.

C. Wagon

18 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I have not been following this too closely...so correct me if I am wrong....this is not a new rule..the Refs have just been instructed to start aggressively enforcing it...correct?

The has to be a middle ground between what is happening now...and the issue of entire defenses running 50 yards into an end zone to mug for the cameras after a 3rd and 10 sack...in the first quarter of a 0 - 0 game.

C. Wagon

How about when there's a turnover and the entire defense (and half the bench) has to run over to the end zone to pose for an imaginary picture.

Yeah... that's what the "no fun league" was missing all those years.

53 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

How about when there's a turnover and the entire defense (and half the bench) has to run over to the end zone to pose for an imaginary picture.

Yeah... that's what the "no fun league" was missing all those years.

They have cameras in the end zones now for those pictures.

The NFL then sells them on their website lol 

But don't fucking spike a ball in the ground.

I like to call it the NFL marketing hypocrisy. 

They tell the players "no emotion on the field/don't lead with your helmet/don't look for knockout hits, or else we'll flag and fine you"

Then every NFL promo/commerical will feature those very same plays, or a guy flexing on the field, or celebrating lol 

It's like when TO was in the league.

They called him a cancer, a horrible team mate, a bad player for the NFL, blah blah blah 

But every single NFL highlight for Sunday/Monday night football would have TO and all his big catches lol 

The NFL knows fans love to see this shit and it sells, but they have to turn face and be a "league of class" when it comes to official NFL protocols. 

3 hours ago, CrazedDogs said:

Yes... personal foul is too much.  Just gift three to six points if that is what you are going to do.  Sick of these billionaires and millionaires who never played a down influencing the game.  We had to deal with the anthem bullshit for three years and a lot of Black people  and progressive people were saying fuck this league.  The NFL finally saw the light and they need to see it now.

• 1 month later...

You have a sport where guys are trying to kill someone... sometimes literally... and then tell them they can't celebrate.  I must say John does not have an understanding of Black culture at all.  Dude and the rest of the uptight owners need to relax and collect their money while shutting the fuck up.