SportsWrath

Giants trade for G Ben Bredeson.

BlueInCanada

We're treading water... we're just trying find anything... Our OL is shitty (not breaking news to anyone)... this will be a long year.   I'm under no illusion that it's easy to fix the OL.. it's probably the hardest part of a football team.. we have drafted and have signed FAs.... nothing seems to pan out yet... 

21 minutes ago, Nas said:

We're treading water... we're just trying find anything... Our OL is shitty (not breaking news to anyone)... this will be a long year.   I'm under no illusion that it's easy to fix the OL.. it's probably the hardest part of a football team.. we have drafted and have signed FAs.... nothing seems to pan out yet... 

The thing takes time and patience, we have ran out of both some time ago.  We want positive results already.  I'm counting on the line to solidify this year without more free agents to plug into it.

16 minutes ago, Joe Guyden said:

He's the best OL you've never heard of..... who the Ravens ditched in favor of going with a rookie 3rd rounder and by bringing in Kevin Zeitler as starters. Zeitler being the former the Giants OL who they cut in the offseason, who had been the most consistent OL, and whose $4m cap hit we couldn't afford because we instead had to bring in a backup RB, 6th string WR, and the Jet's practice squad center (who just got cut).

The jokes write themselves.

29 minutes ago, Nas said:

I agree, it's more difficult to fix than any other position group because there too many moving parts to fix in one go. Let's say your team has a couple weak spots,  by the time you find two or three serviceable OLs to fill in, the positions you were stronger at have aged out or become injured. It's so difficult to do anything but tread water at that position unless you put something crazy like over a quarter of your draft resources in it. 

1 hour ago, mastershake said:

This guy was so promising on Baltimore that they brought in Kevin Zeitler and drafted two G's in the draft to replace him.

Sounds like a NYG Gettleman kind of OL.

I only see the one, Ben Cleveland, who is a much more highly drafted player. 

I think that kind of resource allocation is why the Ravens have been the Ravens, and the Giants have been the Giants. The Ravens consistently draft at least one OL in the 4th round or earlier. I don't think it's an indictment on their existing players, they're just always adding competition to the OL.

5 minutes ago, CrazedDogs said:

I agree, it's more difficult to fix than any other position group because there too many moving parts to fix in one go. Let's say your team has a couple weak spots,  by the time you find two or three serviceable OLs to fill in, the positions you were stronger at have aged out or become injured. It's so difficult to do anything but tread water at that position unless you put something crazy like over a quarter of your draft resources in it. 

I only see the one, Ben Cleveland, who is a much more highly drafted player. 

I think that kind of resource allocation is why the Ravens have been the Ravens, and the Giants have been the Giants. The Ravens consistently draft at least one OL in the 4th round or earlier. I don't think it's an indictment on their existing players, they're just always adding competition to the OL.

So the Ravens ditched him in favor of a rookie and Zeitler, the giants best OL, who signed with the Ravens for a cap hit of only $4m

Instead of trying to retain Zeitler, Gettleman brought in

Fulton

Harrison

Looney

Wiggins

Larsen

All of whom didn't make the team. 

More Gentleman follies. Now add Price and Bredeson to the list of garbage OLs.

Does Gettleman get like a free Jersey Mike sub for every 5 backup lineman he brings onto this team?

6 minutes ago, mastershake said:

He's the best OL you've never heard of..... who the Ravens ditched in favor of going with a rookie 3rd rounder and by bringing in Kevin Zeitler as starters. Zeitler being the former the Giants OL who they cut in the offseason, who had been the most consistent OL, and whose $4m cap hit we couldn't afford because we instead had to bring in a backup RB, 6th string WR, and the Jet's practice squad center (who just got cut).

The jokes write themselves.

Oh man, lol, I really don't know what you saw in Zeitler last season. He was not good last year.  I chalked it up to injury, but.... when you're on the wrong side of 30, injuries tend to become permanent.

Now, given the choice would I rather have Zeitler?.... well yeah. I'm just saying, it's not that big a loss. It's not like we just cut LT. It's not like we just lost Jumbo Elliot. It's a minor lateral-ish, typical off-season level thing. 

It isn't a loss at all if the Hernandez we've seen this preseason is a new baseline level of play for him. He looks good. Real good. Zeitler never looked that good for us.

7 minutes ago, mastershake said:

So the Ravens ditched him in favor of a rookie and Zeitler, the giants best OL, who signed with the Ravens for a cap hit of only $4m

Instead of trying to retain Zeitler, Gettleman brought in

Fulton

Harrison

Looney

Wiggins

Larsen

All of whom didn't make the team. 

More Gentleman follies. Now add Price and Bredeson to the list of garbage OLs.

Does Gettleman get like a free Jersey Mike sub for every 5 backup lineman he brings onto this team?

Lol, hopefully being in NJ, Gettleman can do a little better than Jersey Mike's.

Unlike most teams, the Ravens keep their OL well stocked, so I think we have cause to be a bit optimistic about it. 

On 9/1/2021 at 10:54 AM, CrazedDogs said:

Oh man, lol, I really don't know what you saw in Zeitler last season. He was not good last year.  I chalked it up to injury, but.... when you're on the wrong side of 30, injuries tend to become permanent.

Now, given the choice would I rather have Zeitler?.... well yeah. I'm just saying, it's not that big a loss. It's not like we just cut LT. It's not like we just lost Jumbo Elliot. It's a minor lateral-ish, typical off-season level thing. 

It isn't a loss at all if the Hernandez we've seen this preseason is a new baseline level of play for him. He looks good. Real good. Zeitler never looked that good for us.

Agreed.  Yes, Zeitler was our best lineman, but that's like being the fastest kid at the fat kids' camp. 

Hernandez had a few legit Justin Pugh moments this preseason... three guys at the QB, and Hernandez stonewalling his man at the line of scrimmage. 

I can't get angry at the 3 interior o-linemen signings this week. Two guys who were supposed to be serviceable retired.  One guy is injured.  These three are young players that look to be able to play anywhere on the interior;  between them and Hernandez/Gates, we should be able to have better play than what Police Chief Wiggins was throwing out there. 

If we somehow get Tyrell Crosby to push the tackles (dunno why the details of his signing haven't been announced yet; no way he cleared waivers) I feel like we might have a line that's in the low teens to high 20s this year... which sucks, but is better than the 31st-ranked line. 

3 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

Agreed.  Yes, Zeitler was our best lineman, but that's like being the fastest kid at the fat kids' camp. 

Hernandez had a few legit Justin Pugh moments this preseason... three guys at the QB, and Hernandez stonewalling his man at the line of scrimmage. 

I can't get angry at the 3 interior o-linemen signings this week. Two guys who were supposed to be serviceable retired.  One guy is injured.  These three are young players that look to be able to play anywhere on the interior;  between them and Hernandez/Gates, we should be able to have better play than what Police Chief Wiggins was throwing out there. 

If we somehow get Tyrell Crosby to push the tackles (dunno why the details of his signing haven't been announced yet; no way he cleared waivers) I feel like we might have a line that's in the low teens to high 20s this year... which sucks, but is better than the 31st-ranked line. 

Crosby made it through waivers and is now on Detroit’s IR.