SportsWrath

Giants sign Kyle Rudolph

Herc

Just now, Herc said:

He seems to think he was just underutilized in the passing game the last few years in Minnesota.  I guess we’ll find out 

Yeah I got it, we're going out on a whim here allocating precious cap resources to a TE #2, while neglecting the OL.

That strategy sure has worked in recent years (Rhett Ellision, Toilolo etc),

3 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

I still don't think you understand dead cap and the signing bonuses heh 

Zeitler was cut because he was due what was it 16+ million. You can't restructure a guy in his final year which he was, so I don't understand how you think we could of kept Zeitler, outside of an extension which makes his guaranteed money a signing bonus up front.

Linsley is making 17 million this year lol he has a 17 million fit guaranteed signing bonus this season,he's the highest paid center EVER in the NFL.

You act as if the Giants could of just paid Zielter 5 million and Linsley 6 lol 

Zeitler signed for a contract where the cap hit is only $4mm.

Speak for yourself on dead cap. Money only becomes dead cap if you CUT the player. Linsley's cap hit this year is $6.6mm, with the rest of contract spread out over 4 years. Linsely's cap hit is not $17m this year (unless they for some reason cut him, which they won't).

For the eighth time, here's the contract:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-chargers/corey-linsley-14572/

Just now, mastershake said:

Zeitler rsigned for a contract where the cap hit is only $4mm.

Speak for yourself on dead cap. Money only becomes dead cap if you CUT the player. Linsley's cap hit this year is $6.6mm, with the rest of contract spread out over 4 years. Linsely's cap hit is not $17m this year (unless they for some reason cut him, which they won't).

It's fully due this year when he's on the team. 

He's making 26 million his first two years guaranteed on the team, once again he's the highest paid or second highest paid center in the NFL. If you use the cap websites (which I assume you are) he's only due 6.6 and 11.6 that's just over 17 million, where do you think the other 9 million is coming from? And it just does t count against the cap? 

Zeitler is the same situation,the massive up front signing bonus dropping his salary.

Signing bonuses still count against the cap if they didn't teams would sign a guy to a 50 million dollar signing bonus with 1 million a year salary.

Once again tell me how the Giants could of cut and then resigned Zeitler or been able to pay Linsley a fully guaranteed 17 million, outside of letting Williams walk (which maybe should of happened IMO)

I don't even think we have 17 million guaranteed in the guys we signed in total after Williams. Rudolph is 2.5 million this year, Ragland is vet minimum, Booker is 2 million. Ross is 1 million.

2 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

It's fully due this year when he's on the team. 

He's making 26 million his first two years guaranteed on the team, once again he's the highest paid or second highest paid center in the NFL. If you use the cap websites (which I assume you are) he's only due 6.6 and 11.6 that's just over 17 million, where do you think the other 9 million is coming from? And it just does t count against the cap? 

Zeitler is the same situation,the massive up front signing bonus dropping his salary.

Signing bonuses still count against the cap if they didn't teams would sign a guy to a 50 million dollar signing bonus with 1 million a year salary.

Once again tell me how the Giants could of cut and then resigned Zeitler or been able to pay Linsley a fully guaranteed 17 million, outside of letting Williams walk (which maybe should of happened IMO)

I don't even think we have 17 million guaranteed in the guys we signed in total after Williams. Rudolph is 2.5 million this year, Ragland is vet minimum, Booker is 2 million. Ross is 1 million.

I'm not sure what else to tell you. His cap hit this year is $6.6mm. It's not $17mm (or anything above $6.6mm). The dead cap only counts against the cap if he's cut.

The spotrac and OTC sites give the full breakdown of the cap hits over the 5 years of the contract. Those are the facts. You're incorrect.

17 minutes ago, mastershake said:

I'm not sure what else to tell you. His cap hit this year is $6.6mm. It's not $17mm (or anything above $6.6mm). The dead cap only counts against the cap if he's cut.

The spotrac and OTC sites give the full breakdown of the cap hits over the 5 years of the contract. Those are the facts. You're incorrect.

And I still don't see how you think we can afford him or his signing bonus. 

Once again this is how teams have got around the cap space this year, guy guaranteed signing bonuses (that have to be account for but for some reason don't I guess)

Fully guarnteed 2021 salary. 

He's making over 26 million his first two years. 

This is all reported on the same website you linked. 

"Contract Notes:

$17M guaranteed at signing (signing bonus + 2021 salary

$9M 2022 salary fully guarantees the 2nd league day of 2022 (injury guaranteed now

2025 Roster Bonus: $2.5M (3rd league day of 2025"

Sorry the signing bonus is only 13 million apparently. 

But yes the Giants could of just gave him a 6 million at contract a year and it would be the same thing. 

I'll admit I was wrong about the dead cap I swear it was 17 million up front.

But he signed one of the largest deals for a center for an NFL.

A cap friendly one due to the signing bonus. 

I just don't see how you equate that too "pfff pay him 6 million a year and it's fine" lol 

1 hour ago, mastershake said:

Yeah I got it, we're going out on a whim here allocating precious cap resources to a TE #2, while neglecting the OL.

That strategy sure has worked in recent years (Rhett Ellision, Toilolo etc),

Was it you that pointed out the hilarious amount of money we have devoted to the tight end and running back position?

1 hour ago, BlueInCanada said:

I'll admit I was wrong about the dead cap I swear it was 17 million up front.

But he signed one of the largest deals for a center for an NFL.

A cap friendly one due to the signing bonus. 

I just don't see how you equate that too "pfff pay him 6 million a year and it's fine" lol 

No problem. One thing about this crazy offseason is I think we're all learning about how the cap works, but still find it confusing. I only meant that I believe we can afford his $6.6mm cap hit this year, and probably the ~$11mm this year, then after 3 years there is an "out" where he can be cut with some significant cap savings if things don't work out or if he's too pricey at that point.

1 hour ago, Storm said:

Was it you that pointed out the hilarious amount of money we have devoted to the tight end and running back position?

Yeah somewhere this week I did that.

So Rudolph's year 1 cap number is $4.75mm. Engram is at ~$6mm. Toilolo, what $1.5mm? Barkley is $10mm, Booker is ~$2mm.

In sum, we have about $24mm invested in TEs and RBs.

In other words, this offseason Dave Gettleman decided to spend $6.75mm on backups, bringing in: 1) Rudolph, and 2) Booker.....but we couldn't sign Corey Linsley for some reason (again, cap number of $6.6mm)...it's just mind boggling that we're prioritizing backup TEs and RBs over a competent offensive line.

This is what losing franchises do.

I'll do you one better. Kyle Rudolph's cap hit is $4.75mm and Devonte Booker's is $2.5mm, and John Ross is $2.5mm. In total $9.75mm allocated to what will be backups. Meanwhile, ALL PRO LINEMAN Corey Linsley signed for $6.6mm, while reliable starting G Kevin Zeitler $4mm.

Dave Gettleman needs to be fired.

59 minutes ago, mastershake said:

I'll do you one better. Kyle Rudolph's cap hit is $4.75mm and Devonte Booker's is $2.5mm, and John Ross is $2.5mm. In total $9.75mm allocated to what will be backups. Meanwhile, ALL PRO LINEMAN Corey Linsley signed for $6.6mm, while reliable starting G Kevin Zeitler $4mm.

Dave Gettleman needs to be fired.

I understand you think it's as easy as saying "oh Linsley is only making 6.6 we could of gave him 7!" I wish I could understand and make it that easy as well.

But he's also got fully guaranteed years, signing bonuses, etc.

He didn't sign for "just 6.6" he signed for five years of guaranteed numbers, by the sites you've even linked to they say he's due 26 million in the first two years. 

Is it all in cap hit? Roster bonuses? I don't know.

He signed a 63 million dollar deal on par with Williams, except Williams is two years shorter. He's now one of the highest paid centers in NFL history and he did so going onto a team by all reports he wanted to go too.

Also I don't understand the Zeitler thing you cannot restructure a players contract on their last year of it. The only option they had was to extended him by a number of years and give him more money plus converting any guaranteed money to an automatic signing bonus or ask him to take a pay cut.

Listen I'm not saying DG is a good GM he's awful at it outside of the locating talent in the draft/FA.

But just randomly throwing numbers out numbers saying we should of signed this guy or that guy without any idea of what in the world is going on this off season or what is happening with these contracts doesn't make sense to me personally, I don't know what's happening with these contracts none of us do, even over the cap/sportrac is just using media reported numbers.

But that's all we have now as Giants fans is the strange stuff with DG at the helm.

Oh and a god awful three year stretch of football.

$17mm on guaranteed on a $63mm 5 year contract, with $6.6 of the guaranteed money up front in year 1 is a deal I'd easily take for a proven, All Pro Lineman.

So if it was so easy.

As you said it would of been. 

Why didn't other teams pull the trigger on it? 

Or were the Chargers the only team willing to make Linsley the highest paid center in the NFL? 

1 minute ago, BlueInCanada said:

So if it was so easy.

As you said it would of been. 

Why didn't other teams pull the trigger on it? 

Or were the Chargers the only team willing to make Linsley the highest paid center in the NFL? 

It could be several reasons. Linsley liked the length of the contract, and many other teams weren't comfortable with 5 yrs for a guy turning 30...including the Giants. For Gettleman in particular, I think he has such PTSD over the failed Nate Solder contract that he's reluctant to make any big FA investments on the OL.

Yeah the Kyle Rudolph signing is a questionable one.  He had a down season last year and there is the concern he will continue that decline with the Giants.  On the bright side we finally have a TE we can put on the field who can catch.  Giants were never going to cut or trade Evan Engram, no matter how many key passes he drops.

Lets call it a one year deal and we just spent $7 million on a player who had 28 catches for 334 yards.  :barman:

5 minutes ago, mastershake said:

It could be several reasons. Linsley liked the length of the contract, and many other teams weren't comfortable with 5 yrs for a guy turning 30...including the Giants. For Gettleman in particular, I think he has such PTSD over the failed Nate Solder contract that he's reluctant to make any big FA investments on the OL.

So the Chargers offered him a contract he couldn't refuse? 

The highest paid center in the NFL and the length of it?

Did the Giants have the money to do this with Williams contract?

From what I could tell the Chargers had 40+ million to the Giants what? 6+ million of cap space.

I mean just asking the hypotheticals here

5 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

So the Chargers offered him a contract he couldn't refuse? 

The highest paid center in the NFL and the length of it?

Did the Giants have the money to do this with Williams contract?

From what I could tell the Chargers had 40+ million to the Giants what? 6+ million of cap space.

I mean just asking the hypotheticals here

Yeah we had the money, and we instead chose to spend it on backup TEs/RBs, and on back of the roster injury prone WR draft busts. We didn't even make an offer as far as we know.

Yeah we had the money, and we instead chose to spend it on backup TEs/RBs, and on back of the roster injury prone WR draft busts.

So we could od afforded one of the highest paid contracts for a center by not giving guys around 6 to 8 million this year? 

I mean do other NFL teams know this? Or was it just DG? Why didn't the Packers not do this? Or a team like the Jags who have 50+ million in cap space.

If it "only costs 6.6 million" for one of the richest contracts for a center? 

Because I don't think either of us know what the fuck were taking about lol 

19 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

So we could od afforded one of the highest paid contracts for a center by not giving guys around 6 to 8 million this year? 

I mean do other NFL teams know this? Or was it just DG? Why didn't the Packers not do this? Or a team like the Jags who have 50+ million in cap space.

Oh so you're saying we didn't have the cap resources for Linsely, but we did have the same resources for 3-4 backups?

Why does DG do things that make no sense is the million dollar question. Probably because he's a losing GM.

As much as I like all the signings so far, I think this one here tops them all for me.    Idk know how the Giants were able to land all of those FAs so far and it may bite us in the ass in later years but who cares... I just want an exciting season.   

On 3/19/2021 at 3:57 PM, BlueInCanada said:

plus one

Post of the year