SportsWrath

GMen release Zeitler.

Chuck Wagon

Releasing your best OL, rather than restructuring him and/or others, is such a Gettleman move.

Now we have no money left after the Williams deal.

Prepare for these phrases this season: 

"2nd and long for the Giants."
"3rd and long for the Giants."
"Another three and out for this offense."
"And again, a Giants RB dropped behind the line of scrimmage."
"Daniel Jones again has an unblocked defender in his face.

It is unfortunate but we have to keep moving forward and this is great opportunity for Hernandez & Lemiux.  We'll definitely know what we have in those two next season.  Personally I would have liked to have kept Zeitler last year was not his best season and if he is on the decline then it is hard to justify extending him for another three seasons.

A lot of teams are in a similar position with their Guards making over $10 million a season and being over the cap.

4 hours ago, Tempest said:

It is unfortunate but we have to keep moving forward and this is great opportunity for Hernandez & Lemiux.  We'll definitely know what we have in those two next season.  Personally I would have liked to have kept Zeitler last year was not his best season and if he is on the decline then it is hard to justify extending him for another three seasons.

A lot of teams are in a similar position with their Guards making over $10 million a season and being over the cap.

Hernandez and Lemuiex, lol

And Gates and Peart.

Ugh SMH

1 hour ago, Tempest said:

Yeah fans felt the same way about David Diehl too.

indeed, a lot of doubts until it turned out he could perform. 

But what a question mark that was at the time, when he kicked out from G - where he was good, but not great - to tackle. My expectations were so low. 

As for Zeitler, I was hoping he'd be back from a piece of mind stand point. But he wasn't good last season, and if there weren't mitigating factors to explain his performance then its a no brainer to cut him loose given his contract. 

14 minutes ago, CrazedDogs said:

indeed, a lot of doubts until it turned out he could perform. 

But what a question mark that was at the time, when he kicked out from G - where he was good, but not great - to tackle. My expectations were so low. 

As for Zeitler, I was hoping he'd be back from a piece of mind stand point. But he wasn't good last season, and if there weren't mitigating factors to explain his performance then its a no brainer to cut him loose given his contract. 

I remember watching him at RT for a year before they moved him to LT and saying, "if the dude can't cut it at RT what the fuck is gonna happen when he moves to the more difficult side?"  Whelp, I was wrong. 

10 hours ago, mastershake said:

Hernandez and Lemuiex, lol

And Gates and Peart.

Ugh SMH

We HAVE to do something on the line in free agency. 

This is supposed to be the "see what we've got in Jones" year but we still don't have any WRs worth a shit, and now we jettisoned our best O-lineman.  I understand Williams is a really good player but I don't think anyone will give a shit if he has 20 sacks this year if we can't evaluate whether or not to move forward with Jones as our quarterback.  Honestly I'd much rather spend the money on one or two top-flight O-linemen than Williams;  it's much more important to the future of the franchise. 

1 hour ago, Sephiroth said:

We HAVE to do something on the line in free agency. 

This is supposed to be the "see what we've got in Jones" year but we still don't have any WRs worth a shit, and now we jettisoned our best O-lineman.  I understand Williams is a really good player but I don't think anyone will give a shit if he has 20 sacks this year if we can't evaluate whether or not to move forward with Jones as our quarterback.  Honestly I'd much rather spend the money on one or two top-flight O-linemen than Williams;  it's much more important to the future of the franchise. 

Agreed...problem is now we can't, thanks to DG pouring $20mm into Leonard Williams.

I'm fine with releasing Zeitler. He was a fine lineman but nothing spectacular. Now he needs to be replaced. I wanted to upgrade the interior line with Linsley, a high draft pick (Slater or Tucker in the first), and then bringing in a guy like Kevin Beachum as a plan b/backup plan 1 yr $2.5mm deal, in case Peart doesn't pan out this season.

49 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

Honestly, we should skip out on Williams, feast at the dumpster this year and jump into FA next year with something like 120 million in cap space. 

DG has put all his marbles, and has also sunk his pride into Williams that he won't turn back now, even though he should.

I say again, Linsley, plus Vera-Tucker or Slater in the draft, plus Beachum as a backup plan at RT. I'd feel much better going into the season:

LT Thomas

LG Tucker/Slater

C Linsley

RG Gates

RT Peart/Beachum

Tucker is in intriguing pick because, according to reports, he's more powerful than Slater so may be better suited for the interior (if a team needs him there) compared to Slater, plus he's versatile playing both G and T before, while Slater has not. The more I read, the more I like the sound of Tucker over Slater.

2 hours ago, mastershake said:

DG has put all his marbles, and has also sunk his pride into Williams that he won't turn back now, even though he should.

I say again, Linsley, plus Vera-Tucker or Slater in the draft, plus Beachum as a backup plan at RT. I'd feel much better going into the season:

LT Thomas

LG Tucker/Slater

C Linsley

RG Gates

RT Peart/Beachum

Tucker is in intriguing pick because, according to reports, he's more powerful than Slater so may be better suited for the interior (if a team needs him there) compared to Slater, plus he's versatile playing both G and T before, while Slater has not. The more I read, the more I like the sound of Tucker over Slater.

I like Vera-Tucker a lot too.  Moves pretty well and looks powerful from what I've seen. 

6 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

I remember watching him at RT for a year before they moved him to LT and saying, "if the dude can't cut it at RT what the fuck is gonna happen when he moves to the more difficult side?"  Whelp, I was wrong. 

yeah, me too. And I'd forgotten how rough he was at RT.

7 hours ago, mastershake said:

Who's Deihl among this group now? 

Nah, this is the same crap we've been peddling for 5 plus years. This OL is garbage. 4/5 spots on the OL are now questionable.

Great question, we'll find out soon.  Looks like Gates so far.

I still believe in Will Hernandez at LG and moving Lemieux over to RG.  

27 minutes ago, Tempest said:

Great question, we'll find out soon.  Looks like Gates so far.

I still believe in Will Hernandez at LG and moving Lemieux over to RG.  

We've been going into the last 7 seasons with wishful thinking on the OL.

The OL currently is trash.

If we take no steps to address the OL this offseason, we're doomed in 2021. Any OL that relies on Lemieux and Hernandez is a joke.

And I'll say again what I said on the other thread..the reason we think guys like Gates, Lemeuix and Peart etc are good is because we've had a bad offensive line for so long that when any of these guys flashes and makes a nice play, we cream our pants, completely forgetting about the 60% of other plays where they look bad. I don't know why anyone has any hope for Will Hernandez. He's played 48 games. He had some nice games as a rookie, but he's been mediocre since. How much more time does he need? That's more than enough body of work.

We're so desperate for a good OL that when any of these guys makes a nice play, we think we have the 2nd coming of Dave Diehl, for instance...

To be fair, I think we're okay with one, maybe two of Gates, Lemeuix, Peart, or Hernandez as starters as long as the other three are solid lineman (e.g. Linsley, and prospectively a high draft pick, plus Thomas)...but not more than that. You can't go into the season relying on three-four of these guys as starters.

16 hours ago, mastershake said:

We've been going into the last 7 seasons with wishful thinking on the OL.

The OL currently is trash.

If we take no steps to address the OL this offseason, we're doomed in 2021. Any OL that relies on Lemieux and Hernandez is a joke.

15 hours ago, mastershake said:

And I'll say again what I said on the other thread..the reason we think guys like Gates, Lemeuix and Peart etc are good is because we've had a bad offensive line for so long that when any of these guys flashes and makes a nice play, we cream our pants, completely forgetting about the 60% of other plays where they look bad. I don't know why anyone has any hope for Will Hernandez. He's played 48 games. He had some nice games as a rookie, but he's been mediocre since. How much more time does he need? That's more than enough body of work.

We're so desperate for a good OL that when any of these guys makes a nice play, we think we have the 2nd coming of Dave Diehl, for instance...

To be fair, I think we're okay with one, maybe two of Gates, Lemeuix, Peart, or Hernandez as starters as long as the other three are solid lineman (e.g. Linsley, and prospectively a high draft pick, plus Thomas)...but not more than that. You can't go into the season relying on three-four of these guys as starters.

Every season is a fresh start and an opportunity for players to get better or unfortunately worse.  Lets see how the offseason plays out.